Geocaching Highbrow

Snoogans

Highbrow is a colloquial synonym for intellectual or high culture, which draws its metonymy from the pseudoscience of phrenology. "Highbrow" can be applied to music, implying most of the classical music tradition and much of post-bebop jazz; to literature, i.e. literary fiction; to films in the arthouse line, and to comedy that requires significant understanding of analogies or references to appreciate. It can also be used as a noun.

The first recorded usage of the word highbrow was in 1875.

The opposite of highbrow is lowbrow. The term middle-brow has been used to describe culture that was neither high nor low, as used derisively by Virginia Woolf in an unsent letter to the "New Statesman," written in the 1930's and published as a chapter in the book "The Death of a Moth and Other Essays" (1942). According to the OED, the term ‘middlebrow’ first made an appearance in 1925, in Punch: ‘it consists of people who are hoping that some day they will get used to the stuff that they ought to like.’

from Wikipedia.org

Wikipedia further defines:

Hoi polloi (Greek: οἱ πολλοί), an expression meaning "the many" in both Ancient Greek and Modern Greek, is used in English to denote "the masses" or "the people", usually in a derogatory sense. For example, "I've secured a private box for the play so we don't have to watch the show with the hoi polloi."

So, I guess I am a middlebrow geocacher, hoping the hoi polloi will hide somma them fine geocaches they keep talkin' about where I can find them!

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
How about a rating system? You log a find and you also get to rate the cache in 1 to 5 stars. Then you could do a PQ and choose "3 or higher" like we do with difficulty and terrain. You don't even have to display the ratings, just an average like many resellers online do.

So as not to derail the topic with a discussion on a cache rating system, here is some light reading for anyone who would like to propose a rating system. A search of the forums will yield you many more instances of this idea being submitted.