Great backpack for geocaching - carries all you need

ed629

I found a great packback for geocaching, it's only 8 bucks at Wal-Mart. The brand is No-Boundaries.

I bought it few weeks ago and have used it since then everytime I've gone.

It has a pouch on the straps where you can place your GPS. It clips on and also has a velcro patch to keep it from bouncing. It's great because it can still receive a signal, and you can easily reach it and put it away. And it can clipped to either strap.

The GPS unit is a Garmin eTrex Legend

pack-3.jpg

There is small zippered pouch on the back that can hold a camera, notebook, pens, penlight, etc.

pack-1.jpg

And the main pouch has plenty of room for any goodies you may want to move in or out. There are also two side mesh pockets that are perfect for carrying water bottles in. They are a little hard to see in the picture but they are there. The part that goes against your back is also padded incase there are any hard or pointy objects in the bag too.and there is also a hand strap at the top of the pack too.

pack-2.jpg

The great thing is the cost, if you manage to ruin or damage it or even lose it, it's a low replacement cost.

That pouch on the strap looks great, but would be too small for a Magellan (no Garmin vs. Magellan wars, please!) My solution was adapting a neopream sunglass holder I had; attaching it to the strap of my existing backpack. The neopream works well to 'grip' the GPSr, yet you can remove the GPSr easily enough. Tucking the top flap works for on the go...I get a signal fine, then secure the top, velcroed strap for non geocaching times.

That backpack looks comfey, though; lots more comfey than mine!

"Could be worse...could be raining"

Nice pack icon_biggrin.gif

I recycled a climbing fanny pack I bought from Mt. Tools. It's huge and carries all the neccesities, although not as neat and organized as your pack.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by Smitherington:

My main question would be durability. The configuration looks good.

It seems failry durable so far, I've used it 3 times already and it looks fine. One of the times I did carry a 5-6 pound object in the pack, and no problems there either.

quote:
Originally posted by ErSamin:

That pouch on the strap looks great, but would be too small for a Magellan (no Garmin vs. Magellan wars, please!) My solution was adapting a neopream sunglass holder I had; attaching it to the strap of my existing backpack. The neopream works well to 'grip' the GPSr, yet you can remove the GPSr easily enough. Tucking the top flap works for on the go...I get a signal fine, then secure the top, velcroed strap for non geocaching times.

That backpack looks comfey, though; lots more comfey than mine!

"Could be worse...could be raining"

I twould be easy to attach a clip and velcro to the case and attach it to the strap(s). But you're right, the pack is very comfortable, expecially since the pack is padded where it goes against the back.

I used a pack until I ran across a photographer's vest at an Army-Navy store when I went to pick up an ammo box. It fit everything I used to carry in the pack and then some. This thing is nothing but pockets. The real advantage I found is I don't have to take it off to log a cache.

How do the Angels get to sleep when the Devil leaves his porch light on?

The brand, Garmin vs Magellan, isn't relevent to the size of the unit, it's dependand on the particular model. If an eTrex fits in the pouch, I assume a Magellan SportTrac would also fit. It the pouch is too small for a Magellan Meridian, it's equally too small for a higher-grade Garmin, such as the GPSMAP76S or GPS V.

My main concern with the pack would be the quality. Let us know in in three years how the zippers and materials are holding out. My daypack is a NorthFace Wasatch ($30 at Sam's Club) and after five+ years of ~heavy~ daily use, it finally needs to be replaced or repaired.

$8 sounds like the right amount to spend on a child's pack though...

Best Luck,

Bob

The design looks good. The visible stiching in the pics is all single stitch though, which tends to unravel fast once the thread breaks. Still can't really go wrong at that price though.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

I have one from there that is very similar, 2 1/2 years and not one problem. Goes caching with me, on vacations, on my motorcycle etc. Great packs all around. My only complaint about it was in Vegas, way too hot there for a padded pack, but was still handy.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

I like your quote it is nota a sport unless...

well being an old jock i would addd unless there is pain!!

well we throw the dead mosquitoes on the back and we have a big truck!!

this week coming up is moose season so could have big game on the back!!

we also had one adventure where we threw our dead socks and boots on the back. Sea water yukky smell

geosmiles

quote:
Originally posted by wyoduckhunter:

I have one from there that is very similar, 2 1/2 years and not one problem. Goes caching with me, on vacations, on my motorcycle etc. Great packs all around. My only complaint about it was in Vegas, way too hot there for a padded pack, but was still handy.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

keep smiling and enjoy the life we have been given

quote:
Originally posted by Pixie_Tracker:

Thanks for the info on the backpack. We checked out WalMart today and found a slightly different model (but also with the pouch which we can use for the GPS). When we went to pay for it, we found out it was on sale for $3!! icon_smile.gif

What a great thing!!

You're welcome!

mystats.php?userid=ed629&vopt=user&txtdata=Morally%20Inept&bgcol=ffffcc&fgcol=0033cc