Hello...

hedberg

I registred for a finnish course, but there were some problems during the classes!

Our teacher had a bottle of Finlandia with her and every lesson started with her handing out one large glass of vodka to each student, and then she learned us the very important word "kippis". But since I can't alcohol didn't I remember anything after those words.. So that is all I learned from 10 lessions. :D:P

and then she learned us the very important word "kippis". But since I can't alcohol didn't I remember anything after those words.. So that is all I learned from 10 lessions. :P:D

But that's quit useful compared to my knowledge about Swedish. All Swedish I know was learned during the very first lesson about 30 years ago and it was:" Jag är en finsk skolpojke. Jag heter Åke." That's not very useful any more - especially because my name is not Åke!!

<_< Funny, it seems that everyone remembers some kind of weird sentence from language lessons. Here are mine (I'm not sure, if the spelling is correct):

In Germany:

"Ist das dativ, nomitav oder genetiv?" <- gives the picture of priorities in teaching languages...? Though I remember another sentence too: "Käse kan Ich kiloweise essen" and that means something like "I can eat cheese very much"...

In French:

"Je ne sais pas, si c'est important, mais j'ai trouve une trousseau de cle par terre" and that means "I don't know if it's important but I've found bunch of keys on the floor."

Very useful indeed....

avec

Edited by jemann

Hasse kommer hem. Han är hungrig som en varg. Det finns makaronilådan i ugnen.

And of course there was Hasse's band Het Potatis, and their hit song Sommaren är här! <_<

I can't remember any weird sentences from German lessons, but my parents always refer to a sentence from their schooltime German book: Er drohte mir mit dem Stock. :)

Edited by Divine

Hmmm.. I can order a beer in most countries in the world - don't ask me why since I don't drink beers! <_<

I can say hello and goodbye in a lot of different languages, but I didn't know that "Terve" was hello in finnish a couple of years ago.

I was going to pickup a crew member of a ship called "Tervi". I spelled it "Terve" on my sign and was standing outside the customs at the airport, and it was two planes arriving to Göteborg from Helsinki at once. After a couple of minutes do one person approach me and say "TEEERVE!" and smile to me. But he passes me and I start wondering - was that my customer or not. Person after person walks by me smiling and saying "Terve!". Hmm.. This is strange.. Finally one man approach me and starts laughing loud. He asks me "Are you gonna take me to the ship Tervi?" Yes, my customer. He is still laughing, and asks me "Do you know that you spelled it wrong. It should be Tervi." -Aha, is my answer. And then he asks me "Do you know what you wrote on the sign? It means Hello." and then I realized that I have been standing 20 minutes at the international terminal in Göteborg just as two flights from Finland was approaching. On my sign was written "HELLO". No wonder they were happy and said Hello back to me....

TRUE STORY!

Our teacher had a bottle of Finlandia with her and every lesson started with her handing out one large glass of vodka to each student, and then she learned us the very important word "kippis".

And to learn a new word in a foreign language you have to repeat it at least 20 times. Now I understand why your face looks so strange in your picture.

I just wanted to write something in English, so we that can't understand finnish has something to read.

You wanted to write something In English, so that we who don't understand Finnish have something to read? :o

I just found a mistake in the above sentence, can you find it?

Edited by Cholo