Collecting Tbs For Your Own Cache Site

mccwilf

I have found two cache sites owned by the same owner. They say if you take a TB from their cache you must leave one or don't take it.

They are taking TBs from other caches and placing them in their own cache. It sound as if they hording the TBs to their cache.

They noticed that there were no bug trades in their cache and decided to set a bug exchange, and make their own rules.

Is this ethical for cache owners.

I will boycott this cache.

Travel Bugs are not trade Items, there is no reason to trade TBs. Any request to do this on a cache page goes against the purpose of the travel bug, which is to move from cache to cache. Once I realized that some hiders were making this condition on there cache page, I placed the following request on my Travel Bug instructions:

As its purpose is to move as much as possible, please do not place this TB in caches where the owner has placed a leave one to take one, or a lower limit on the bugs in a cache.

I appreciate the desire to have TBs in a cache, but keeping them prisoner by imposing a trade requirement can cause someone that could really help a TB on it's mission from taking it, thereby defeating the purpose of the TB.

Cache Well

Well what if there trying to get TB in to ther cache ceuz its like a TB hotel or some thing like that.

Well as long as they just move them and not keep them and not log it I dont see a problem and the TB get mileage. And the TB for a TB doesnt some that bad but I dont thing TBs will move that fast that way.

Pirates don't deserve consideration. I'd remove their cache.

Oh my.. Now is this not a perfect expression of opinion..

I can see it now, I did not agree with your cache so I stole it. I thought it was bad enough having to avoid muggles, now I guess we have to ensure we dont upset cachers or they have the right to steal our cache???

As for the TB's.. You can always send email to the TB owner and ask if they want it moved.. If they tell you to get it out of that cache then by all means you now have the right to do so. I have seen many travel bug hotels and most of them ask that you leave something or trade something in the way of a BUG..

If you disagree with a cache, please try to work with the cache owner and admins or at the very least ignore the cache.. But you have no right to steal someones cache because you do not like it.

What the OP is talking about I believe is a bug hotel, a travel bug rest stop, there are many of them, usually the cache owners like to have a bug or two in there. There shouldn't be a take one leave one rule, but we all make up our caches the way we'd like them. Perhaps it's more of a guideline. Let's not have any talk with the P word, ok? No cache stealing or boycotting needed. Perhaps if the original poster would e-mail me a link with the two caches in question, I would know more about what we are discussing. But for now, it sounds like a travel bug hotel.

Pirates don't deserve consideration. I'd remove their cache.

Oh my.. Now is this not a perfect expression of opinion..

Ok, maybe that was a bit over the top. Heat of the moment and all that. :D But when it comes to TB prisons, yeah, I'd consider all my options.

Edited by 11 After
I placed the following request on my Travel Bug instructions:
As its purpose is to move as much as possible, please do not place this TB in caches where the owner has placed a leave one to take one, or a lower limit on the bugs in a cache.

My bugs have this note on the bug page and the written card that accompanines the bug:

Please don’t put me in a travel bug "hotel," "depot" or "resort" that requires you leave a bug if you take a bug. Sometimes they're more prisons than hotels -- I might have to stay there a long time until someone rescues me.
Edited by Thot

I personally don't like the "take one leave one rule" and don't find it needed for a succesful bug hotel.

I have a few bug hotels in rest stops that have been very succesful and do not use the take one leave one rule.

For example I was in Michigan this weekend and coming back to Ohio and there was a bug hotel that had more than one bug I could have directed towards it goal but due to the 'take one leave one rule' I couldn' help them. :D

Just my humble opinion.

What the OP is talking about I believe is a bug hotel, a travel bug rest stop, there are many of them, usually the cache owners like to have a bug or two in there.  There shouldn't be a take one leave one rule,

No, TB hotels are to HELP bugs travel. What the original poster is talking about is a travel bug PRISON designed to HINDER the bug's travels.

Fortunately, the cachers around here have put out hotels, with no trading restrictions.

BTW, there are better ways of solving the problem of prisons than taking the whole cache........

Some Additional Thoughts

I don’t think that, given the delay is not longer that 3 or 4 weeks, this is a bad idea, as a TB owner, I would definitely like to have an email as to what’s going on. One thing I would like is that as you’re going about finding caches to collect the TBs do a drop and retrieve of the bugs that haven’t visited those caches. Additionally, if there are some specific instructions concerning pictures or visiting certain places or getting pictures, you might also attempt to do something to further those goals. Both of these things would advance the purposes of the TBs in your possession and make their owners more agreeable to you holding them.

This is just MHO as a TB owner who likes to see any activity concerning the TBs.

Thanks and

Cache Well

There is no rule in place that disallows the take 1 TB, leave 1 TB policy. The owner set up his travel bug hotel this way and I think he has the right to. No one likes to visit a travel bug hotel in hopes of finding a TB, only to be disappointed that there are no travel bugs in the hotel. I think there are enough travel bugs in circulation that it shouldn't be a problems to trade 1 for 1.

In the end, it is up to the cache finder to decide for him/herself if they want to follow the instructions of the cache or not. As long as each of us enjoys the sport in our own way, that is what is important. And ya I think it's a silly rule, but I'll follow it, since that is what the cache owner wanted, unless if I can actually help a specific bug reach its final destination, and then it's my judgement call.

I checked out both caches, one is clearly set up as a TB exchange, and does ask nicely that if you take a bug you leave a bug. The other sounds a tad more demanding that you take a bug for a bug. To me this defeats the purpose of the fun of a travel bug. After all, you have to pick up a bug somewhere to get started. If cachers come by with no bug to trade, the bugs are now stuck in the cache. Trading even is always a good thing, but travel bugs are not called trading bugs, and the rule should not be a rule. The funny thing I see is that the cache hiders are going back for weekly maintenance checks and taking most of the bugs out themselves. A little anal on the maintenance, which is not a bad thing, but no one else is getting a chance to trade bugs. So I imagine the bugs getting stuck is not an issue. These are not the work of someone making a travel bug prison.

This topic has been discussed before, and the majority of responses has always been against the "leave one to take one" rule. Even Jeremy has expressed his opinion that it is "silly" (see this link).

The rule conflicts with the whole travel bug concept and the will of the majority of travel bug owners, as expressed in this forum. Those who include this rule are either ignorant of the majority opinion or simply want their will to prevail.

Since the Head Frog doesn't like it, the forum moderator doesn't like it, and most responders don't like it, why is it tolerated? Why not stop it where it starts? Why not disallow this "rule" and instruct the cache approvers to not approve any cache submission that includes it?

Existing caches that currently include the rule could be reported with the "should be archived" note so the owners could be notified that this rule is unacceptable.

I really dont see how this is an issue... If you go to a cache which has a TB that you can help... doesnt really matter if you have one to swap... the purpose of a travel bug is to travel or else the goal would be listed "Find a cache and let me rot there"

I really dont see how this is an issue...

It's an issue if I find the cache, take a TB without leaving one, and log my find online only to have the cache owner delete my find because I took a travel bug without leaving one in violation of his rule for the cache.

I would rather eliminate the possibility of such disputes on the front end.