Etrex Vista

Texan78

Ok heres the deal, I'm new to this goecaching thing. I do alot of camping with my family and a family member got me interested in this so i order the Vista and it should be here Tuesday. My question is just how good is it? I thought from what i gather from my research it was the top of the Line eTrex, but i see alot of people buying the legend. So is the Vista a good unit. Also i know it comes pre-loaded with base maps, but i heard they are not very good. So what maps will i need to get for this unit as i will also use this for travling to . From my research i also saw they were pricey. One more thing, what is the best program use on my Laptop to plan my route and to download waypoints and transfer them to the GPS. Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

The Vista is the top of the eTrex line. The Legend gets more attention because it's less expensive and is the lowest eTrex with mapping capabilities. The main additional feature of the Vista is the built in compass. I wouldn't buy a GPS without the compass feature, but for many people the extra expense isn't worth it.

I don't know if Garmin uses the same basemap on every unit, but the basemap on my GPSMAP76S shows things like roads, railroads, cities, and state boundaries.

You really don't need extra maps in order to geocache. But if you want, the Garmin MapSource products can all be uploaded to the Vista. The topo maps are rather crude compared to a USGS topo map, in order to use less memory, but they contain tons of extra placenames, some of which aren't even found on topo maps!

As far as computer software to communicate with your Vista, start with EasyGPS. You simply download .loc files from geocaching.com, and use EasyGPS to send the data to your GPS. It really couldn't be easier. There are other programs available that include more features, such as Gsak (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), and you might want to play with some of those too. But to get started quickly, EasyGPS is your best bet.

Almost any mapping software can also communicate with your GPS. The Garmin MapSource products can be used on the computer, although the maps are crude as I mentioned - Garmin United States Topo, under $100 for the entire country. One advantage of using the Garmin products on a computer is that they have very low system requirements and run perfectly fine on old computers that can be bought for cheap. The DeLorme USTopo is a mid-range product with topo lines, custom printing, and direct GPS communication - about $100 for the entire country. For exact USGS topo re-creations, DeLorme, National Geographic, and other companies have topo maps on CD for about $100 per state.

None of this is necessary for geocaching. Your Vista is all you need...

Best Wishes,

Bob

If you're going to BUY any map software, be sure to buy GARMIN MAPSOURCE maps. They are the only maps that you can upload INTO the Vista. Other map programs allow you to send waypoints, tracks and routes both to and from your GPSr, but you will not be able to send any other maps from the computer to the GPSr.

Thanks for the info its a big help. The reason i wanted the other maps is for traveling on deer trips and on what not. I downloaded the EasyGPS and GSAK last night. So what Garmin maps would be the best to get for travling as well as a program i can map routes on a PC before i head out? Not really looking to convert anything but waypoints from the PC to the GPSr which with the programs above i can do that. What program do you recommend for mapping strictly on a PC.

Edited by Texan78

You will need MetroGuide for street maps. You can do routing with it on the PC and transfer the routes to the Vista. If you hunt, you may want to also consider TOPO since those maps are more detailed off-road. TOPO does not support street-level autorouting, but you can create point-to-point routes, if that will meet your needs.

I have both products and I use them both for different purposes. I prefer MetroGuide for most stuff, but there are times that TOPO has an advantage.

The Vista is a great unit, by the way. I have 2 Rinos, an eMap, a Vista, and a StreetPilot. The Vista fits in just nicely and the built in compass definitely gives it an advantage over the others.

Great thats a HUGE help in narrowing down what i need. Ok with that out of the way. How do these maps work on the GPS? What i mean is the two different maps like the City and TOPO, are they both loaded at the same time kinda like a overlay if that makes sense, or can you only use one at a time? Sorry for all the questions just trying to learn this, good thing though is im a fast learner.

You can load both TOPO and MetroGuide or City. Both can exist at the same time on the device but only one will be shown. I believe the street maps take precedence over the topos until you turn the street maps off in the Vista's settings panel.

The maps "work" by having a map display, in addition to the data displays. They also work by giving you things to search for, such as filling stations and Krispy Kremes.

If you hunt, do you have an ATV? A handlebar mount is nice. On the Vista, you buy a replacement back that slides into a strap that you mount on the handlebars. Then, you can take it off when you need to. Don't forget the power/data cable.

-E

Kewl so i can just bounce between the two then. Yea i have a ATV, but i heard that when you mount them on the bars that the excessive bouncing tends to jolt the unit and its not very good for it. I dont know how much truth their is to it. I know i would trust it more on my shoulder incase i rolled the ATV.

I've had the Vista on my Specialized Rock Hopper (mountain bike) for years and I don't have any problems. Then again, I'm not bounding down the trails quite like I used to. A good friend keeps his yellow eTrex on his handlebars and he seems to have a lot of trouble with it. He's also broken a few bones on his mountain bike, so it's hard to tell if the problem is him or the unit. I understand if you put something in the battery compartment, like some foam rubber, it will reduce the jolt to the batteries, which is what most of the trouble is.

City Select and MetroGuide are different packages that do similar things. The big differences are the source of the map data and whether you can transfer calculated routes from the PC to the handheld. I believe that MetroGuide 5 will not let you download routes to the handheld. I may be wrong on that, though. City Select is geared more for the newer units, like the 60CS and the 76CS. City Select uses unlock codes, MetroGuide does not.

I run MetroGuide version 4, TOPO, and MetroGuide Europe. MetroGuide provides auto-routing on my SPIII and it works on all my Garmin units without having to mess with unlock codes. Unlock codes are the spawn of Satan as far as I'm concerned. I've purchased MetroGuide version 5, which was supposed to have better map data, but it turned out that the map data wasn't any better than with version 4 and it didn't support autorouting. So, I sold it to another geocacher and I hope he's happy with it.

City Select and City Navigator are both for GPSrs that do autorouting on the GPSr. The Vista does NOT autoroute on the GPSr, so those maps would be a waste of money (they're more expensive).

For the Vista, MetroGuide would be the way to go. With MetroGuide, you CAN generate an autoroute on the computer and then upload that route to the GPSr.

I've found the maps in version 5 to be much more accurate than the maps in version 4. I guess it all depends on where you're at.

I believe that MetroGuide 5 will not let you download routes to the handheld.

Why get MetroGuide 5 when the newest one is MetroGuide 6?

I just got MetroGuide 6 today. I have been playing with it for only a hour or so tonight.

It will let me do routes on the PC then download them to my Legend.

Texan,

I've had a Vista now for a little while. It's a great little GPSr. It has all the features I wanted for Geocaching, including the electronic compass, which I've found to be very handy. The price is not out of line for what's offered. It seems fairly rugged and substantial. I've dropped mine a couple of times already.

It is pretty small, I've had a Magellan 315 and a Garmin GPSIII+ & GPSV and it's smaller than any of them. The screen is kinda small in comparison as well. The screen does have great resolution. If you wear glasses to read you will definetly need them here. If you need a bigger screen, the GPSMAP76 seems to have a bigger one.

I use Metroguide v6 with my Vista and it works like a charm. The maps are fine and the POI data is relatively up-to-date. All-in-all, I can't think of a better unit for Geocaching. It's not the best auto GPS as the screen redraws are too slow and the screen is too small. I use the GPS V in the car.

SP

Great thanks, FedEx will have it here tomorrow and i cant wait to start playing with it. Once i get this mastered and now that i have my Wifes intrested and thats hard to do. I hoping she'll let me get the GPSMAP 60 CS and give her the Vista. I wanted the 60 to start with but its a pricey unit for me right now.

You just created another issue by mentioning the strong possibility that you'll be getting a 60CS soon. Although MetroGuide-NA is the best choice if all you have is a Vista, it doesn't support the autorouting feature of the 60CS. If you instead get City Select-NA it'll work just as well on the Vista now and will also give you autorouting on the 60CS if you get that one later. You can unlock City Select-NA for two GPS units so you'd be able to use it on both for no additional cost.

MetroGuide-NA would also work on both units but would *not* support auto-routing on the 60cs.

Well that will be a long time before i will be able to get it, since the Holidays are around the corner (A X-mas commerical is on at this moment how funny). I heard that the vista doesnt have autorouting capablities, especially with city select. I'm not to concerned with the autorouting feature on my Vista right now, just has long as i have a detailed map. When time comes to upgrade to the 60cs then i will tackle that issue. Hopefully by then i will be a little more educated with the wonderful world of GPSr.

Just didn't want to have you complaining in a few months that we advised you to get MetroGuide and that then you need to also buy City Select to make full use of your new 60cs.

BTW, nothing was said in the previous note about the Vista having autorouting - because it doesn't. But the 60cs does.

Why would i complain, im asking about the Vista not the 60cs, and it was in passing. Plus that will be months maybe a year before i even think about getting it and by then they will have new software. So why would i pay the extra money for City Select just for autorouting on a unit that doesnt have autorouting. It will be pointless to spend that money for a program that will be useless a yr from now.

I really HATE my Vista. My GPS III+ was more usefull. I now use a GPS V and a GPSMAP 60CS. I had so many problems with it Garmin had to replace it with a new one because they fixed it so many times they just gave up and gave me a new one, and it has the same problems.

NOTE: I own the older Vista not the Vista C which is a much better unit.

Whats the difference between the Vista and the Vista C besides color?

price, games, Automatic route generation, off-route recalculation, turn-by-turn directions with alert tones, and icon-driven menus for finding points of interest ,Longer battery life,Selectable audio tones and color schemes, stopwatch,welcome note,USB