First To Find Insider’s Information

sept1c_tank

There has been a good deal of discussion in the forums about what’s fair and what’s not when logging caches. In addition, the FTF issue and the availability of caches have been debated.

In this event, a number of new caches will be released exclusively to the attendees for the purpose of achieving FTF.

According to the cache page, “Here is your chance to improve on your FTF's. There will be a large number of new caches released and available only to those that come to the event. Others will have to wait another day.”

Assuming all the involved cache owners have agreed to this arrangement, I think this is an interesting and valid way to introduce new caches to an area.

Now let’s hear your dos centavos. :rolleyes::anicute:

But it's not kosher to have an event solely for the purposes of finding other caches. This would seem to be contrary to the rules.

Well it's like a party. Any reason will work to have one. In this case, it's an FTF social event, and there are no exclusions and everybody is invited. It doesn't guarantee an FTF but it does allow an early start on finding caches not yet listed and this happens all the time.

We've attended three events in the last three weeks. At all three of them were print outs of new caches "released" that morning in time for the event. I assumed this was common across the country, but perhaps not. Our Florida cache approver (Crow T Robot) is willing to work with event holders on timing of approval. I don't know, but I'd guess, that many of the new caches released at RREngineers event will be his own.

Sounds good to me, variety is the spice of the game. But if this cache was held in CO it would be disaproved. According to our approver (CO Admin) "The probation against an event for the hunting of a cache or caches applies as well to the hiding of a cache or caches". Maybe the guidelines are different in different states. In CO, event caches are only supposed to be for the discussion of caches.

...Maybe the guidelines are different in different states.    In CO, event caches are only supposed to be for the discussion of caches.

I have never seen "guidelines" for an event cache, but as editor for Today's Cacher, I have researched many event cache pages. It occurs to me that events are as varied as opinions. Events around the world are billed as "Let's get together and go caching," or "Let's meet at the local pizzaria or pub and chow down."

Many events are meetings encouraging discussions of various aspects of geocaching.

There's an event (rated, terrain: 5) scheduled next month in Australia with the sole purpose of geocaching companions going after some difficult caches in the area.

I'm not sure events are intended to be just discussions. :P:D

Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings for geocachers by geocachers to discuss geocaching.  After the event has passed, the event cache is archived.  While a music concert, a garage sale, a ham radio field day or an orienteering event might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the primary focus of these events is not geocaching and the primary attendees are not geocachers.  In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches.  Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

For geocaching events that involve several components, such as a day-long group cache hunt that also involves a seminar and dinner, only a single event cache covering all components should be submitted.

Seems like they are.

Well...isn't that special! :D

Thanks, SeventhSon, for the insight. Sure seem like I've seen a lot of event caches that don't exactly follow those guidelines. I suppose the loophole is: make some notation on the cache page about trading travel bugs and telling war stories.

I'm sure glad I don't have to make up the rules or approve the caches. There appears to be considerable flexibility in the interpretation of the guidelines by both cachers and approvers. :P:D

Edited by sept1c_tank
I'm sure glad I don't have to make up the rules or approve the caches. There appears to be considerable flexibility in the interpretation of the guidelines by both cachers and approvers

You're not supposed to organize an event for the sole purpose of getting a group together to hunt caches, yet "cache machine" events are approved.

On the other hand we can't organize a geocaching event around certain activities. Getting geocachers together for an afternoon of paintball, or to go deep sea fishing is not an event we're told. It seems that, at least here in the NYC area, an event must revolved around food and/or drink. If it's not in a restaurant or a picnic area, it won't get approved. Go figure.

As far as the OP's question, I don't see a problem with it at all. As a cache owner you can introduce a cache anyway you like. If you want to make it available to event participants first, fine. If you want to call your friends and tell them about it before its posted, fine. If you want to list them first in REC.GEOCACHING.COM before posting them here, great. GC.COM is only a listing service. Its not the only way to let others know about caches. If you want to list them here later thats up to you.

Edited by briansnat