mag 315 external antenna

bigbill6

The MAG-315 does not have an external antenna connection. You would have to use a re-radiating, which requires another external power supply. I would be kind of bulky in the field.

The 315 has a very good antenna as it is. If tree cover is an issue then any external would have to break out from to trees to be effective. I think you are better off moving to a clearer spot for a reference. Works for me.

Happy Caching;

geosign.gif

Well, being cachers from Oregon, we see a LOT of caches in the forests. For the most part, if our Mag-315 is fully charged on batteries, it can usually do fine under the trees. We can usually get it to find 3 satellites without any real problems. Sometimes it does take it awhile to figure out where it is and where you're taking it, but sooner or later it figures it out. I wouldn't worry about figuring out how to hook up an external antenna.

buneatg.gifI am the Rabbit King, I can do anything

Then what's with the Magellan offering an accessory (or is this what you mean by re-radiating):

Power/Data Cable w/Bare Wires - 300 Series

Power provided to your GPS receiver from an external 9-16 VDC source. Allows the GPS receiver to be connected to a differential beacon receiver or other types of NMEA devices. Comes with detailed instructions.

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=139

quote:
Originally posted by mikedx:

Then what's with the Magellan offering an accessory (or is this what you mean by re-radiating):

Power/Data Cable w/Bare Wires - 300 Series

Power provided to your GPS receiver from an external 9-16 VDC source. Allows the GPS receiver to be connected to a differential beacon receiver or other types of NMEA devices. Comes with detailed instructions.

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=139

The differential beacon receiver is a device that receives a different set of ground based signals. You can use a GPS's NMEA output to feed data to a processor to combine the two signals and improve accuracy. The beacons are mostly in coastal areas for marine navigation. The reception of the GPS unit itself is not effected.

geosign.gif