Custom Map Uploads (garmin)

You can make your own MapSource compatable maps using Ozi Explorer, GPS TrackMaker, MapDekode, and/or cGPSmapper.

It is time and labor intensive with a bit of a learning curve. If you have a bit of spare time, you could possibly learn how. Here're a few links to point you in the right direction.

Map Authoring

Custom Garmin Map Tutorial

UMP: GETTING STARTED

I have been told that now you do not even need MapSource to load your maps - that there is a program out that can load the maps without using MapSource.

Thanks for your responses. I gave it a shot and I am entirely impressed. Although a geocaching newb, I primarily bought the Vista for hiking and climbing in the backcountry (and I like toys too!). The ability to create a custom map with virtually as much detail as you want is a very powerful tool - and perfect for my activities.

It takes a bit of time and surprisingly not all that much experimentation.

Scan map for base image. Calibrate with Oziexplorer (trial ver.). Draw vector map on top of base image with MapEdit and export using integral cGPSmapper. Upload to GPSr with SendMap. Done!

cGPSmapper Tells you how to do it all.

No Garmin MapSource required.

Edited by troycanadian

you can even EDIT Mapsource WorldMap .img files.

First step is to convert the .img files to .dbx with MAPDEKODE. Then open this file with GPS TRACKMAKER edit it and merge your own tracks and/or wp. After this, save the file as .dbx and then create .img file with MAPDEKODE.

The final step is to upload them to your GARMIN GPS with SENDMAP.

This is all !!! Try it !!! and enjoy !!!

GBC

... Even better...

You can replace the original .img WorldMap file with the one you edit ( do not rename it ) and upload it from MapSouce WorldMap itself.

or

Save the file in a different Dir and upload it with SENDMAP.

GBC

GBC wrote: "You can replace the original .img WorldMap file with the one you edit "

GBC,

By worldmap do you mean basemap??

Where did you get the world/basemap to edit?

Now the real question...can you somehow take the 76CS basemap and upload it to a 60CS ???

:)

Well I just got a 60cx. And Im also worryed about using this sendmap software...

Free maps for all systems are available here...

http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/

The software to upload it is here...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mdipol/img2gps/

and here.....

http://cgpsmapper.com/

Ive downloaded what is listed at an entire routeable map of southern ontario with rivers and lakes..... Im afraid to upload it directly to the unit...

I wouldn't mind uploading it to just the SDmicro card, but not sure how to do that yet..... any help would be appreciated, or anyone else who has tryed this software and was successful would be nice to hear from you...

I also followed some directions on here on how to extract unlocked garmin maps from some of their free downloads. And I have.... World Routeable Hiway Basemap v3 (from a ique3600 download). I wonder is that better than the map thats in the 60cx and can I just load that to a memory card and switch to it or is it going to overide my current basemap...

Or is this software going to corrupt my gps period.

I've uploaded assorted custom maps created with cgpsmapper to both my eMaps and my GPS V with no ill effects - just great new maps to use. The uploads were done using SendMap directly; using the GUI interface provided by the img2gps program; and by installing the maps so they can be uploaded using MapSource. All three methods worked fine.

I've never heard of anyone encountering problems with their GPS as a result of using these custom map creation tools and uploading their own (or others) maps.

I wouldn't mind uploading it to just the SDmicro card, but not sure how to do that yet..... any help would be appreciated, or anyone else who has tryed this software and was successful would be nice to hear from you...

When you "upload" to your x-branded Garmin, you're actually just writing the file to the SD card - there's no internal memory for user-initiated maps. I don't think that SendMap works with an SD card, but MapSource does - simply put your microSD card in a reader and you can write directly to the card.

Try this - take an extra card and put it in your GPSr (if you've upgraded, you've got the original one floating around), then upload the custom map. If it doesn't work, you can just remove the card from the unit and format it with an external reader to returned it to baseline.

When you "upload" to your x-branded Garmin, you're actually just writing the file to the SD card - there's no internal memory for user-initiated maps. I don't think that SendMap works with an SD card, but MapSource does - simply put your microSD card in a reader and you can write directly to the card.

Try this - take an extra card and put it in your GPSr (if you've upgraded, you've got the original one floating around), then upload the custom map. If it doesn't work, you can just remove the card from the unit and format it with an external reader to returned it to baseline.

Are you sure about that, alot of the sites list 54meg internal memory +the 64meg sdmicro. Anyways I saw someone else talking about how you view the memory left. I cant seem to find that screen anywhere... Hitting menu on like every screen and option and havent come across it.

Anyone else know how to view memory left?

Are you sure about that, alot of the sites list 54meg internal memory +the 64meg sdmicro. Anyways I saw someone else talking about how you view the memory left. I cant seem to find that screen anywhere... Hitting menu on like every screen and option and havent come across it.

Don't worry about breaking your GPSr by adding custom maps. I made some super detailed Topo maps for a few areas I'm in a lot (25ft countour lines). They're on my gps and working just fine with all the other maps loaded. And also, the maps definitely go on the microsd card because I have 440mb of maps loaded onto my 60csx.

Don't worry about breaking your GPSr by adding custom maps. I made some super detailed Topo maps for a few areas I'm in a lot (25ft countour lines). They're on my gps and working just fine with all the other maps loaded. And also, the maps definitely go on the microsd card because I have 440mb of maps loaded onto my 60csx.

Well I caved in and bought the Canada Topo maps, Im happy with it though, they are nice, and make the 60cx even more amazing.

But heres a question.

How do I remove maps? Or everytime I upload is everything else erased unless its reselected?

And where are the tracklogs and such recorded then, pre 2.62 release? I havent installed the beta, I can wait for a final version.