Sportrak Color

T-BoneX2

It's a good price for the Sport trak color, I have one I use as a backup for my Magellan Meridian Gold, My first choice is the Magellan Meridain because it is larger and has an expandable memory with a std SD memory card. As I have said in the past in the forums, I am not a big fan for a color screen in a GPS. 90% of the time I use the compass style screen when looking for a cache. I am not a big fan of a digital compass in a GPS, Magellan has the best one being triaxial compass. For the extra cost of Color and a Compass you would be better off spending that money on software and a real compass.

Edit. THe reason I have a color sport is because the place were I was working had them at a very low close out price.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I have a meridian platinum and a sportrak color and I actually like the sportrak color better. I like the screen better than the platinum (it has twice the resolution) and I like the form factor better (how it fits in my hand). I'm considering buying an extra, just to be safe. So yes, I think it's a good deal. :mad:

--Marky

If this is your first GPS I would go with something you feel comfortable with. If it is the Color then go for it. You will find in a couple of years and you get to understand and know more of what you can do with a GPS you will be upgrading. That happens to just about everyone. As far as pricing, I am a Garin fan so I can't help you much. I would go out on the web and see what you can find. www.gpsnow.com www.gpsdiscount.com www.gpstiger.com

There is lots of places you can get them. Most places don't give you the true price until you click on "add to my cart" But this way you have an idea.

murph

ps. I check www.gpsdiscount and found a price for $295.00. If is has the same accessories it is a good price. Is this a unit Cosco has had for a while?

Edited by thcri

I bought the SporTrak Color at Costco for $199 and a bought the Magellan TOPO Map for it, for $99, so this was less than the $349 list price of a SporTrak Color. Pretty nice setup, but I wished the LCD Display module was the same as the one used in the 60C/CS. I really liked the Platinum, but found it was a pain to use while hiking to multicaches without a strap, since the early Meridians didn't come with any carry straps. I chose to buy the SporTrack Color for it's resolution, and good display for the TOPO map, even though I already have the 60C, I just don't like the Garmin TOPO and limited screen realistate available for the TOPO mapping. STC does have better signal reception than my 60C GPS.

-----------------------

Edited in:

I found a good Contrast setting of 67 for the STC GPS, which shows the Rivers and Contour lines well.

Tracklog Set to AUTO DETAILED (Still not high enough Resolution)

Biggest pain is the mounting of the Adaptor cable to the rear of the STC GPS, because there is no recessed spot for the cable, like on the backs' of the Meridians.

Big pallet of STC's at Costco so they may last awhile (Livonia Michigan Costco)

Edited by GOT GPS?