Another Cache Is Blown Up: California

amytincan

Ive seen perfectly clear plastic containers, so why not use those for caches?

Well, if you are paranoid about it, you will not open the transparent container either. What if there is a biological or chemical agent hidden in the logbook, for example? It is only safe to open a transparent cache if you are wearing a gas mask and a biochemical suit.

Actually, if protection from terrorists is the issue then we might say that by blowing up caches, the bomb squads do the stupidest thing they can do. If there is a biological or chemical agent in the box, it will get released and spread around.

My point was just that we should keep paranoia within reasonable limits. Opening an unknown container can never be 100% safe. If one starts thinking along the lines of "in this post-9/11 world, etc." then there is no stopping. Any container that was not prepared and packed by yourself or was opened previously by someone other than yourself will be considered unsafe.

Let's not extend airport security guidelines to the entire world.

I knew what it was, I knew it was supposed to be there and yet I was still apprehensive about picking it up and opening it.

Same here. I had been thinking things like that the day I opened one out in the quiet woods and it triggered a music device that sounded like had been removed from a fancy greeting card. When your adrenalin level comes back down, you are more paranoid than before.

Well in all honesty, the perfectly clear container that I spoke of would allow for visual inspection without being opened.  Unless they think some of the items themselves are dangerous, then we are probably ok.

As as77 well pointed out... you're only thinking about one hazard. Tell us how you can ''think some of the items themselves are dangerous''?! That's a paranoid circular reasoning world built upon fear (or just pompous) with no room for logic. [i hope you don't pull me over now. LOL]

Blowing things up is an inherently dangerous commitment when you're dealing with an unknown. If you're really that afraid of a Geocache, why would you spread it all over the place... with kids there to boot! No. There was only one agenda for that response and getting information in order to spin things down was not on the agenda.

With these kinds of reactions to our innocent family sport, I'm surprised MPD hasn't blown up every Rider Truck that passes by the city. After all, how many Geocaches have ever harmed anyone - anywhere?

I still think open dialog is the cure. The numerous local families that enjoy Geocaching would love to continue the hobby and are not willing to violate any laws. I think we (Geocaching) can pride ourselves in maintaining our open communication and willingness to obey laws.

After several emails with the MPD this was their final email. I feel it should close this topic for good.

>From: MPD

>To: Wildlifeguy

>Subject: Re: Geocaching and the bomb squad

>Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 11:05:42 -0800

>

>Okay, found it. It was actually October 28th. The principal called it

>in. It was a container wrapped in green duct tape under a tree at an

>elementary school. The bomb squad came out and couldn't tell what was

>in the container so they blasted it. After blasting, the officer found

>several small children's toys inside and a log sheet. That was when he

>realized that the container was part of a GPS treasure hunt. To quote

>the report "No crime committed". We never were looking for the owner of

>the item, other than just to return it. The officer notes "There was no

>contraband inside the container. I was unable to find any indication

>that the container was placed on school grounds illegally or with

>malicious intent." We have never been looking for someone to press

>charges or deliver a bill for services. When we couldn't find an owner,

>we booked the items into our evidence unit to be destroyed. Someone

>made that portion of the story up.

>

>Obviously, an elementary school was probably not the best choice of

>location. And we would rather err on the side of safety than to ignore

>an item wrapped in duct tape and later find out the hard way that it was

>a bomb.

>

>Personally, I would recommend a clear container that law enforcement

>can see into in the event that it is reported like this. The main

>reason this was called in was the fact that it was a colored plastic

>pitcher sealed using green duct tape. Like I said, we'd rather err on

>the side of safety and so would the school.

>

>Make sure that those out there spreading the prosecution story know

>that it is false.

>

>Hope this helps!

Just some good guys doing their job! Think of this one as the ultimate "Muggle".

Peace!

Someone please explain to me why a box wrapped in tape is assumed to be a bomb. Why is it not assumed to contain anthrax, for example? I guess blowing up a box containing anthrax is not such a good idea. I think it is extremely dumb and irresponsible to blow up a box with unknown contents. What do they teach at those anti-terrorism trainings? If you don't know what's in the box, blow it up?

It's kinda silly all the discussion over the blown up caches the one by LAX was obviously hidden in a place that could be construed as a terrorist target. Why hide one there you are inviting the bomb squad to come by especially if the person looking for the cache is a 6 foot tall male with a beard. COMMON SENSE would apply. It is too bad that some more experienced cachers have decided to remove all their caches and leave the sport. If you put some thought into where you hide stuff and don't make yourself stand out you might not attract the wrath of the police. Common Sense PEOPLE.

i cant understand why south of the border law enforcement insists on wasting resources detonating caches due to the overactive imagination of untrained eyes without confirmation. all inate risks aside, the officers responsible ought be disciplined just as they discharged their sidearm in an unjustified manner.

by contrast, last week our local police force removed 'misplaced' commercial explosive from the entrance way of a local elementary schol without blowing the side of theb building up.

from the patriot act to the overacting law enforcement, its a wonder that total chaos hasnt erupted yet...