Travel Bug "grab" At Event Cache

"Paws"itraction

We're going to an event cache in November. We've seen instances where people will log a bug into the cache before attending, and then several people will either log the bug in & out of the event cache, or "grab" it. Then the original holder will take it back and send the bug on its merry way.

We'd like to do that with the bug we'll have at that point, but how do we do it?

We thought of making up small cards with the bug's tracking number on it and a notation to "Please log your pickup & dropoff of this bug before December 4, as we will be logging it to other caches on that day."

We also were planning on having a "sign-up sheet" for the TB, so that anyone who wanted to log the TB had to sign the sheet so we knew when everyone had logged it and we could "take it back".

Is this a good way to go about it? Is there a better way? Suggestions and comments are definitely welcome!

Thanks!

-Kim for "Paws"itraction

If you feel you must have everyone log the bug in and out of the event, do as you said, making sure they have the 6 digit tracking number from the tag. They should retrieve it from the cache and place it RIGHT BACK IN, all on the date of the event. If a lot of people are going to do this, make sure they understand how it's done. It's not something I personally would encourage, it only serves to fill up the owner's mailbox with logs of "saw bug, logged bug" posts, and all it really does is add a bug to a cacher's list of bugs found. It doesn't do anything for travel mileage on the bug. Not everyone at this event will even see the bug, unless you carry it around to each and every person. I would make it more optional, rather than a requisite thing to do. Rather, I would suggest that, I wouldn't even be doing this myself. There are no rules for it, or against it. Some cachers do it, some don't.

Ordinarily, the travel bugs that get gang raped in this fashion are left out on a picnic table at the event cache. Anyone can see and record their tag numbers, and then return them to the picnic table (physically) and return them to the event cache page (when back at the computer).

I don't personally engage in the grab and drop game and ordinarily when I travel to an event cache, I already have a specific person in mind to pass along a travel bug to. If I know that a geocacher from Georgia will be at the event, and there is a bug 8 miles from my house with a goal of getting to Georgia, then I'll pick it up and drop it onto the event page, but I won't put it on the picnic table. I will personally hand it to the Georgia cacher. I only leave the bug in the meat market when I don't know of anyone who can help its goal, or if it doesn't have a goal.

Conversely, as a bug owner, if you see your bug get dropped onto an event cache page, try writing an e-mail to the person who is bringing it to the event. If the practice of grabbing and dropping bothers you, ask the person to please just hand it off to one other geocacher.

I don't understand some of this.

TravelingViking is having an event cache here in the Seattle area to exchange TBs between Europe and US, but I was under the impression that those bringing them would log them into the cache, and those that eventually took them away would log them out.

What's up with the in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out stuff???

Am I just to new to this to understand?

TravelingViking is having an event cache here in the Seattle area to exchange TBs between Europe and US, but I was under the impression that those bringing them would log them into the cache, and those that eventually took them away would log them out.

For some, it's only about the numbers. Any number, even number of travel bugs they've "found". So they'll go to events, and write down the numbers of every bug there, come home, log each one out of, then back into the event page, to increase their TB find count.

For some, it's only about the numbers. Any number, even number of travel bugs they've "found". So they'll go to events, and write down the numbers of every bug there, come home, log each one out of, then back into the event page, to increase their TB find count.

I thoght that might be the response...

Can you say "typical High School Jock"? :D

This is, of course, only my opinion and not necessarily those of any other cacher...

Ordinarily I wouldn't do this either (for the reasons given above - and I do like the description Leprechauns gave to it!) but we're now in possession of the Caching Karma Stick and...well...I thought this might be sort of a special case.

Though at this point I'm leaning toward "not doing it anyway" - as I said, I don't really like it either, but since it was the CKS, I thought "well, maybe..."

I guess the Caching Karma Stick is used to it by now. One question I had about the CKS was that it was sent out to pick up the karma of cachers by hiking with them. What actually happened was it was held by just a very few cachers, and touched by many, but not hiked with by many, which was the point, the goal. It really has done all its travelling with just 5 cachers. But it was 'gang r****d' at many an event.

We are currently in possession of Cindy the Cinderblock, another unique bug, and we recently brought her to an event where people logged her in and out and signed their names on her as well. If the owner doesn't mind, then I don't see a problem with it. The owner of "Cindy" posted a note in her log that he didn't mind this practice, after someone else objected to it. I think the people at the event would appreciate seeing the CKS, it's different.

Just airing a complaint... I recently physically retrieved and took home three travel bugs from an event cache. Naively, I logged them that evening. They were grabbed from me right away, then dropped back into the event cache for a succession of grab and drops. Sadder and wiser, I waited four days, until there had been no activity on the bugs for three days. Then I deleted my original logs (to keep my bug count accurate) and relogged the bugs. Within an hour, ZAP! Grabbed from me again to be logged and dropped back into the cache. Now I must "retrieve" the bugs a third time. ;)

This practice is becoming quite an art. Shortly after I dropped my own newly activated TB into the event cache, I was contacted by a person who was compiling a list of TBs and their tag numbers to hand out at the event to aid with the grab and drop. I chose not to provide my tag number.

It doesn't matter to me how people want to count their travel bugs, but shouldn't there be some sort of etiquette regarding how long after the event this is done before the people who actually HAVE the bugs are safe to log them?

It doesn't matter to me how people want to count their travel bugs, but shouldn't there be some sort of etiquette regarding how long after the event this is done before the people who actually HAVE the bugs are safe to log them?

I was a victim of this myself last weekend. I agree with BlueDeuce. But definitely, once a bug has been logged out of an event by the person who actually took it, then the "catch-and-release" should stop. It's weird to have a bug in your inventory just disappear like that.

Then I deleted my original logs (to keep my bug count accurate) and relogged the bugs.

I don't think this is necessary. You can log the same bug several times, but it only counts as one bug find on your stats.

Ordinarily, the travel bugs that get gang raped in this fashion are left out on a picnic table at the event cache. Anyone can see and record their tag numbers, and then return them to the picnic table (physically) and return them to the event cache page (when back at the computer).

Which is the secondary reason why I don't leave them on the table/ in a box/ whatever. I'll either pass it directly to someone else, or place it in the nearest permanent cache. The main reason is that too many travelers get 'lost' at events, some turn up later... dazed and confused, but others never do B) .

This practice is becoming quite an art. Shortly after I dropped my own newly activated TB into the event cache, I was contacted by a person who was compiling a list of TBs and their tag numbers to hand out at the event to aid with the grab and drop. I chose not to provide my tag number.

I should add that I also dropped my new bug into the cache so late that it didn't make the bug list handout at all, although some others with no number were at least listed by name. I guess that explains my good fortune that the only person who has logged MY bug is the person who took it.

Others catching and releasing my bug wouldn't be as much of a pain as people grabbing and dropping the bugs I physically have in my possession, though.

Did he say gang-raped? Is this the new official term for it?? B)

Ordinarily, the travel bugs that get gang raped in this fashion are left out on a picnic table at the event cache.  Anyone can see and record their tag numbers, and then return them to the picnic table (physically) and return them to the event cache page (when back at the computer).

Which is the secondary reason why I don't leave them on the table/ in a box/ whatever. I'll either pass it directly to someone else, or place it in the nearest permanent cache. The main reason is that too many travelers get 'lost' at events, some turn up later... dazed and confused, but others never do :grin: .

I've pretty much quit leaving travel bugs at events for the same reasons. I had two with me yesterday at an event in Maryland, and I still have them. I'm going to drop them off in a nearby cache today before I head for home.

I dont play the TB grab and drop-off game at events. I only log the bugs I physically take with me.

Me, too. I wish everyone would! It's a pain to keep restoring them to your inventory when they are grabbed from you. Just when you re-log them, thinking enough time has elapsed, someone else pops in with the catch and release.

This was never a problem in the past when notes used to count as finds for TBs. Now since they no longer count, people have to do the grab and drop. I feel there is a problem with the current system, and perhaps something like a "Spotted in Cache" log would be more appropriate.

Seems that it is a fairly common practice for people to log all the TBs that they spot at an event. Those people should not be criticized for doing this, as they play the game their way. It has nothing to do with numbers or anything else. The option on a TB page clearly says "Found It? Log it!" and that is what people are doing. No where does it say that you must move a bug along to get credit for finding it.

I agree that the system for handling TBs definately could be better.

This practice should be discouraged as it generates lots of wasted email notices about your travel bug being "held", "handed around", or "saw at" an event.

I would never write down several TB tracking numbers down to log all the TBs from an event or a cache. It just doesn't seem totally legitimate. However, I can see the point of the people defending the practice.

The other issue to bear in mind is the ability of the "average" cacher to log some different types of TBs or coins is zero to none.

This occurs because coins are often grabbed and will NEVER be circulated. NEVER.

When I get a coin in my hand at an event, it is very likely to be the only chance I will ever have to hold one, see one... or log one. I like to log that I had the opportunity to experience one of these items. Looking at my stats you can pretty clearly see I'm not into stat padding.

The fact is that all trackable items are not passed on. Your standard TB will be moved on in most circumstances, but geocoins and trackable sig items just don't circulate the same way.

Anyhow... to each their own. I agree with the posters who say the game is to be enjoyed, and... logging and not taking is certainly better than taking and not logging which happens as well. (I just saw a YJTB that I dropped was picked up in the log entry but the TB grab was never done.)

At GeoWoodstock III, the well-prepared organizers figured out how to prevent or reduce the problems complained about in this thread. As a critic of mass grabbing and logging of bugs at events, I was quite pleased to see how the issue was handled at Woodstock, where there were more than 800 travel bugs and geocoins present.

All TB's needed to be checked in with the travel bug table, and they were held under tight security rather than being displayed on picnic tables for just anyone to stroll by and log them. Then, all the bugs were placed in the bed of a pickup truck and the geocachers lined up to collect them. Two or three bugs per person was the limit. Everyone had a few minutes to search for a bug with compatible goals.

After picking up a few bugs, everyone had to proceed back to the registration table where the staff recorded which geocacher took which bugs. Anyone who doesn't log a bug off the event cache page within a few weeks will get a reminder e-mail from the event organizers. They know who you are. No geocoin stealing will occur here!

This was a fantastic idea, one which I'd like to see repeated at future mega-events. I applaud NEFGA for organizing the travel bug distribution this way.

My only constructive criticism: It was difficult or impossible to find bugs that I could help toward their goals. Ideally there might have been several tables set up -- one for bugs that could travel anywhere, one for bugs with geographic goals, and one for bugs with task-related goals like visiting firehouses. I could have gone to the geographic goals pile and taken a bug that wanted to travel to my area of the country. For all I know, there were several that I could have helped, but I only had time to root around for a minute or two. I selected bugs with generic goals.

We've had several TB's end up at various events, which is fine.

But what is the point of "touching" a TB and counting it as a find? All the in/out, in/out, in/out, in/out logging of TB's do is generated unnecessary emails and not one mile of travel for the TB.

I would rather have one geocacher move a TB 1000 miles than have 1000 geocachers move a TB nowhere.

If we cannot move a TB sufficiently or we have had it for a couple weeks, we drop them off in one of own slower found caches and let someone else move it along.

SMDMD

(I told myself not to jump into this. Myself took it to committe and we voted to jump in.)

I retired or adopted out my travel bugs because of tb handling monkey business. If I still had active tb's and if one were to get logged several times at an event I would be very likely DELETE all the find logs between the initial placement and the one who physically took it from the event and placed it in a cache for a non-event grab. I've actually done this for a different kind of monkey business that happened with one of my bugs.

Edited by Team Sagefox

As usual, there are different ways to play the game...

So if at a huge event 500 cachers log all 500 TBs, then that's some 500.000 logs (2 each if they all grab and drop back).

Now wouldn't that be an interesting sport? :P

I guess this is exactly why some TB owners now specify "Don't take this TB to an event" - I already have seen a few like that...

The biggest problem I have is that I really feel ashamed if a TB is lost at an event that I participated in. So more and more I try to keep track of whom I gave which TB at an event so that at least I have someone to blame.

IT WOULD REALLY BE HELPFUL, IF GC.COM WOULD PROVIDE SOME METHOD TO HELP TRACKING TBS BETTER ON PAPER.

So on top of my wishlist: I would like to be able to print a list of all TBs that I placed into an event. This list should feature a picture (where available) and the goal and of course an empty column for the name of the person it was given to.

Now that would make tracking at events easier...

Olaf

(I told myself not to jump into this. Myself took it to committe and we voted to jump in.)

I retired or adopted out my travel bugs because of tb handling monkey business. If I still had active tb's and if one were to get logged several times at an event I would be very likely DELETE all the find logs between the initial placement and the one who physically took it from the event and placed it in a cache for a non-event grab. I've actually done this for a different kind of monkey business that happened with one of my bugs.

I have a TB that was gang-raped at an event. I expect, sometime, to do exactly what you described -- delete all the logs except for the one that actually moved it somewhere. Unfortunately, the bug is still relatively close to where the event was held, and I fear that a disgruntled gang-rapist will retaliate by making it disappear.

By the time I can finally do something about it, perhaps I will have forgotten the whole issue and become de-angsted. :ph34r::lol::lol: