May Be Of Use To You

ckhd

I wrote a program. It's nothing fancy, but I wanted to be able to put all the "Mark Not Found"s in a particular county/state into USAPhotomaps and my GPS.

I wrote it for my own use, but thought maybe someone might find it useful.

I use DSWIN to make the source file, and then I use my program to make the XML file that USAPhotomaps can read (and put into my gps).

I made a little 'read me' file for it, so read it before you install it (and run it). I copied it's contents below. It is slightly on the rude side, but I find that it's usually the only way to get the point across. Sorry if you're sensy.

here's the links:

Use this one if you already have the VB6 runtime files & excel. I suggest you try this one first anyway, because it's only about 600k, and the full install is about 6 1/2 megs.

Small install

Full Install:

Full install

I plan on setting it so that I can do the same thing with 'old' benchmarks, where I just put in a date, and it will sort out the ones that are at least that old. I was just in a pinch for the not founds and that's all I made now. Later when I want to look for some old ones, I'll do the date thing.

Here's the Read Me. It's also in the zip files.................................

This program makes:

XML file containing only "MARK NOT FOUND" entries for use with USAPhotomaps

Microsoft Access 97 file containing all marks

Microsoft Excel 97 file containing all marks

Use this program at your own risk. Do not complain to me. It is intended as "Professional Level" (My way of saying that since I wrote it for myself, I didn't worry about writing error handling routines for luddites that probably shouldn't own a computer anyway). If you get an error, you are doing something wrong, or your computer is a pile, neither of which are my problem. If it screws up your computer then it sucks to be you.

To get a source file, use DSWIN and do a "save as". Use "DSSELECT" format. "Position" format must be "Standard". "Output" must have all three boxes checked. For "Field Delim", use a space (you have to type it in). For "Desc Delim", select "NONE", and with "LINE DELIM", select "NONE". Pick whatever fields make you happy as long as you select "PID", "LATITUDE", "LONGITUDE", and "LAST HISTORY". My program doesn't look at any other fields. The order is not important.

To process the file, run the program. Select the file you made with DSWIN. Now, type in a "base" filename. DO NOT ADD A FILE EXTENSION, the program automatically adds the appropriate extensions. Click, "Go" and stand back. All

files will be put in the directory you selected with the base file name.

**WARNING** -- this will overwrite any existing files with the same name without asking you if it's OK. If you delete an important file, then read the "readme" file next time you download something.

If you have a really good idea for this, you may try to contact me through the Groundspeak Forums. I read them now and then. Mainly the Benchmarking forum. My user ID is ckhd. I will consider all suggestions. If you MUST have something, contact me on where to mail the check, and then we'll talk.

Closing Topic until permission from groundspeed is acquired

Forum Guidelines:

Commercial Postings/Solicitations are not allowed. Commercial content as a direct or indirect (either intentional or non-intentional) attempt to solicit customers through a forum post will be edited or deleted. Notwithstanding the above, Groundspeak reserves the right to include limited commercial content in this Forum, in its sole discretion.