60cs Sight N' Go Greyed Out?

testx

Just got a Garmin 60cs and am trying to figure out how to use the Sight N' Go feature of the compass. When I'm on the compass screen (with the compass on) I press menu to get the list of options, but the top three, including Sight N' Go are greyed out and unavailable.

Any ideas what I'm missing?

I'm in the same boat. I followed the directions as they are printed right in the 60CS manual and it doesn't work!

Maybe we are both missing something simple, hopefully someone will respond soon with an answer. :lostsignal:

and yes I have calibrated the compass... twice even :unsure:

Edited by moonpup

I calibrated the compass on my GPS, and it was searching the satellights too. THe Sight N' GO feature was GREYed out on my 76S and I thought maybe the EARTH was broken, but as soon as I aquired all the satellights, and i put it level up near my eyes, the Sight N' GO selection became available.

I found that once I aquire, I have to exit the menu then go back into it to see it highlighted.

I had forgotton that a good 3D fix is a big part of the equation.

Edited by GOT GPS?

YEP

Both the Compass ON, and the GPS on a 3D fix is required for the Sight 'N GO, to work properly.

That is bad of Garmin, on their part of not explaining the need for a 3D fix before you can Sight 'N GO.

It is neat also that you can Project a waypoint using this method too, which the Sight 'N GO will work with your loaded map to help you know what mountain your looking at using Sight 'N GO.

Sight 'N GO helps you to create waypoints of Land Features that you may then hike to.

If you want accuracy and to sight landmarks using compass without GPS on, then you can Get one of these, which these are good to have with a paper map too.

Sight 'N GO is cool but there needs to be a Compass lock feature that freezes your compass screen so that you can write down the info, then Unlock(unfreeze the compass screen), without the need for 3D fix.

Edited by GOT GPS?
I think you have to have satellite lock fof this to work. otherwise, how would it know where you are starting from? 

Does a regular magnetic compass need a satellite fix to do a sight n go? I don't think so... 

A regular magnetic compass doesn't draw you a go to line either!! :mad:

Edited by CenTexDodger
Both the Compass ON, and the GPS on a 3D fix is required for the Sight 'N GO, to work properly

I have the exact same problem. I just checked it out. I've only had the unit for a week. I'm not sure what a 3D fix is. My compass is on and I have it calibrated.

Thanks.

On the "Satellite" page, when GPS is on, there will be a little icon in the upper left next to the battery indicator that will have "2D" or "3D" in it when you have a location fix. "3D" means you have four or more satellites locked in and have an estimate of altitude from the GPS.