Geocaching Requires New Gps

e3brown

Bought my first GPS (Magellan 4000) about 8 years ago and only used it to "backtrack" when hiking in the desert. It will hardly initialize now. My other GPS is a Magellan "GPS Tracker". Use it for 4X4 adventures. It's a 1998 model and still works well with my laptop and Delorme software for "offroading".

However, I tried looking for my first cache yesterday with the Tracker. Looked for 2 hours for the first cache and 2.5 hours for the second cache. Found nothing. Of course, my inexperience is a factor. However, I believe a newer GPS would be a benefit. The Tracker does not have WAAS. It uses an averaging method which works well when driving but doesn't work that well when walking.

Would like my costs to be no more than $250.00. Have done some reading and the Garmin etrex Legend seems like it will fit the bill. It has WAAS, basemap, PC interface, etc. Looking for input/alternatives.

By the way, even though I have not found my first cache yet, I really enjoy this. Going to take the Tracker and try again today. Sooner or later, I will find a cache.

Traveler

http://home.comcast.net/~e3brown

;):lol:

Edited by e3brown

WAAS helps but is certainly not necessary for geocaching. I used an older unit for the first 5-10 caches. It worked well. If you are way off, make sure the map datum is set to WGS84.

If you find you enjoy geocaching you may want to buy a WAAS equipped model but you should be able to do caches just fine with the one you have. I think WAAS is only available in North America anyway so people in Europe, Asia, Africa, South America and down under have to geocache without it.

The key question is, does it let you download waypoints from your computer. If not it will be a real PITA.

Edited by Thot

Older GPSes can be successfully used for Geocaching, but you have to be more intuituve and work harder. Some people geocache with only a map and compass, and have logged hundreds of finds. Maybe start with an easier target?

But you're right, a new unit will make geocaching much easier. And the Legend is a good one to start with. They're definitely in your price range, $179 the last time I looked, maybe less now.

Here are some pros and cons I see with the Legend:

Neg:

- screen size is small, but the coordinate numbers are abolutely tiny

- buttons scattered all over unit, and aren't labeled

- compass is GPS-driven, meaning it only works when you're moving

- 'patch' antenna not as good in poor-reception areas

Pros:

- lightweight and compact

- connects to computer for downloading/uploading data

- cool thumb stud

- picture-oriented menu system

- can be used without removing from protective case

All-in-all, a great unit to start with.

Personally, I would recommend selecting a unit with a built-in compass. The eTrex Vista, GPSMAP76S, or Magellan Meridian Platinum. Don't know if any of these fit your budget though. I expected the 76S to come down in price once newer models were released, but I haven't noticed a price drop yet.

Happy Shopping,

Bob

From Magellan you might look at the Sport Tack Map, Radio is closing them out at $169.99 and Magellan has a rebate for these on there website for $30.00, at a final price of $139.99 this is a very good price. I have use both the Magellan Sport trak and Garmin legend, they are very similar units so I would go for the magellan sport trak base on price.

Another choice might be the Magellan Meridian gold ( I also have one of these), you can find these for about $200.00. THey are a larger than Sport trak but have an expanble memory using an SD memory card. You would also need this card to load maps into the GPS.

Any of the SporTrak models can be had for your budget. The Color has built-in 3 axis compass and other goodies. We opted for the STMap first, then bought a Pro opting to save the $10 difference from the Color because of complaints of the screen in bright sun. Couldn't find a unit to compare at the time so decided not to risk it.

The SporTrak series has a quad antenna and I've come across folks trying to get lock and mine had 6 satellites. (Though many will tell you that patch antennas are every bit as good as the quadifiler helix antenna, but I've seen different.)

The drawback for the SporTrak series is the averaging the unit does. It is very accurate in the sense it can achieve a very high repeatability of the coords, but it is slow to get there. While other units are boucing around, I've stuck my hiking stick in the ground attached the unit to it and while looking the unit is slowing pointing closer and closer to the coords. (The accuracy of the hider's coords is a different issue.) I consult the unit ever so often and adjust my search. So, while the averaging is a drawback in getting the cache quickly, it is an asset when trying to get more accurate coords. I've personally opted for the more accurate coords.

Hope this helps.

While WAAS is nice, it isn't necessary, and even with a WAAS enabled unit, it will only help if you are receiving WAAS satelites, which occasionally still will not happen even if you are in a WAAS area. I found my first 40 or 50 caches with a Magellan 315, and my son uses a yellow E-Trex, neither of which have WAAS, and both of which work fine for geocaching.

I don't know about the units you already have, but the biggest drawback to older units is the lack of 3rd digit in the coordinates. If your unit will give you coords down to DD MM.MMM, rather than DD MM.MM, then you won't gain much. If, however, your units will only give you DD MM.MM, then a newer unit will, indeed help. In the meantime, try using UTM coordinates. And as Thot said, make sure you are using the correct datum; WGS84.

If your unit will give you coords down to DD MM.MMM, rather than DD MM.MM, then you won't gain much.  If, however, your units will only give you DD MM.MM, then a newer unit will, indeed help.

Another mistake, especially with older GPSrs, is that they are set to DD.MM.SS, (degrees minutes and second) but the Geocaching site gives coordinates in DD.MM.MMM (degrees, minutes and decimal minutes). You can either change the setting on the GPSr, or convert them.

Edit: BTW, as a rough rule of thumb, one thousandth of a minute is about 6 feet, so a unit that only lets you enter coordinates as dd.mm.mm will only get you to within 60 feet (or, I guess, 30 feet if you round properly), but that is usually close enough to find the cache! Happy caching.

Edited by Sputnik 57

Thanks for all the great input. Because I had previously used my GPS Tracker to locate ghost towns on old maps, I had the Datum on 27 vice 84. Made the correction. Also I can set the coords to "MMM" vice "MM". I had my first find today after the correxction to 84. Also read a lot on this forum and tried correcting my mistakes. Since the Tracker uses "averaging", I was making the mistake of moving around too much. Never gave the unit time to lock in. Will continue hunting before making final decision. However, I may end up using the Tracker along with a Garmin that responds quicker. Thanks again for the words of wisdom.

Just FYI. WAAS seems to be available world-wide.

I think you're mistaken.

Who benefits from WAAS?

Currently, WAAS satellite coverage is only available in North America. There are no ground reference stations in South America, so even though GPS users there can receive WAAS, the signal has not been corrected and thus would not improve the accuracy of their unit.

Quote taken from this article

Just FYI. WAAS seems to be available world-wide.

I think you're mistaken.

Who benefits from WAAS?

Currently, WAAS satellite coverage is only available in North America. There are no ground reference stations in South America, so even though GPS users there can receive WAAS, the signal has not been corrected and thus would not improve the accuracy of their unit.

Quote taken from this article

True and not, it's mainly a US system. However, Europe has it's own WAAS like system called EGNOS. Magellan tech support told me that the Meridian series (WAAS enabled) also support EGNOS. I would suspect then, that all WAAS enabled GPS (other brands too) would be compatible in Europe. I don't know about South-America though, WAAS could work there too since it seems to work in Africa, but probably not in Asia-Pacific.

Edited by geotrouvetout

I just replaced my Magellan Meridian Platinum with an identical one and paid $240.00. Just inside your budget.

BUT...you do not need the latest greatest GPSr to find a cache...Before I invested serious money in a new model I used a Magellan Trailblazer XL for about 75 finds including some of the hardest ones I've done. While waiting for my replacement I did several caches without any GPS and one with my old TXL. Truth is, its more challenging with an older unit...if/when you get a mapper you will be spoiled big-time...

Play with that old one a while and take your time and shop, meet other cachers with different units and try em out. As you can see this bunch would do anything to help out a Geofriend.

Cheers,

The Commissar!

True and not, it's mainly a US system. However, Europe has it's own WAAS like system called EGNOS. Magellan tech support told me that the Meridian series (WAAS enabled) also support EGNOS. I would suspect then, that all WAAS enabled GPS (other brands too) would be compatible in Europe. I don't know about South-America though, WAAS could work there too since it seems to work in Africa, but probably not in Asia-Pacific.

I confess I only know what I've read in web articles. Apparently the EGNOS system became fully functional a few months ago. That may account for the apparent error in this Garmin statement and 99% of other web articles

I was replying to the posters statements that:

WAAS seems to be available world-wide.

My GPS certainly uses the feature here in South Africa.

I think both of these statements are incorrect. I don't believe it's available world wide. Apparently the EGNOS system has added it to Europe but that's hardly the world. There's Asia, Australia/Oceania. Neither do I think it works in South America or Africa. As the Garmin page says

. . the [WAAS] signal has not been corrected and thus would not improve the accuracy of their unit.

If you think their statements are incorrect perhaps you should contact Garmin.

Edited by Thot

Thanks for all the input. Several of you have advised to continue trying with my Magellan Tracker even though it is almost 7 years old. I also read THOT's Beginners Guide. Trying to incorporate all I'm learning I had 2 finds today. Even though I have used GPSr for 7 years, geocaching requires more of the units functionality that I have used in the past. When hiking, I simply used my old 4000 for backtracking. When 4 wheeling on remote roads, I used the Tracker in conjuction with a laptop and Delorme software to make sure I stayed on existing trails (Tread Lightly). However, Geotracking is not as automatic. Basically, I have had to slow down, take my time while the Tracker "averages" and THINK. Sure is FUN!!!! And they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks!!!!!!