Do you really follow/know crew nicknames?

blkjeep

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

So you get the title in and realize that you don't want to post the rest then see that there is no cancel button. What do you do.

A. just type ...nevermind.

B. Or hit the back button and not post anything all together.

My answer = B.

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

Nope. Posted a question, but gave it some more thought, and decided that I didnt want to start a flame war. Went back to delete, but there is no delete function.

Ok, by popular demand...here's the question...

Maybe it's just the caches that I watch, but why do so many people feel the need to nickname every single person, dog, and imaginary friend in the crew that they geochache with?

A typical entry might read..."TiggleBop and Bizzletoad searched, but Giggybooble was sniffing around and led Yingtazzle to the spot."

Is this community so tight knit that you know who these folks are talking about? I find it distracting.

I'm getting a bit tired of people prefixing everything with "geo".

"Me and the geodog found the cache in georiffic shape!"

"Loaded the geokids into the geovan for the afternoon."

"Made the geomistake of having the geospouse open the container. Some geojerk left a geocrap in it!"

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

I guess, i dont watch the nicks, i figure if they think there dog, imaginary friend, or themsevles even needs nicknames then let'um have one. i dont have to keep track of who they all are. icon_biggrin.gif

as to why, i dont know, because they can i guess.

icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by blkjeep:

Maybe it's just the caches that I watch, but why do so many people feel the need to nickname every single person, dog, and imaginary friend in the crew that they geochache with?

A typical entry might read..."TiggleBop and Bizzletoad searched, but Giggybooble was sniffing around and led Yingtazzle to the spot."

Is this community so tight knit that you know who these folks are talking about? I find it distracting.

whack.gif

I guess, i dont watch the nicks, i figure if they think there dog, imaginary friend, or themsevles even needs nicknames then let'um have one. i dont have to keep track of who they all are. icon_biggrin.gif

as to why, i dont know, because they can i guess.

icon_razz.gif

quote:

whack.gif

quote:

...why do so many people feel the need to nickname every single person, dog, and imaginary friend in the crew that they geochache with?

Mmmm. I'm not one of them, unless my you count my friends Matt, Lorinne, Amanda, or Kristen (all named in one or more of my geocaching logs) as imaginary or having nicknames.

I can't say why other folks do it. I guess its the anonymous nature of the internet, which is something I like to avoid, thus my screen name here.

To some, the internet is sort of an alternate life, where they are not really themselves, and people and things are different.

Jamie

I haven't seen anyone overdo it, really, unless you want to count Mitsuko. icon_confused.gif

I do think that some people refer to others in their group by nickname because they are expecting that the nickname might come up. For example, I might mention that "KATCacher" helped us find the cache, as an explanation to someone who finds a log from "KATCacher" and it sounds a lot like our log.

Sometimes people do it because they know that friends of theirs are going to be reading the logs. I worked with Team Jiffy many years ago, and I find it really interesting to hear what J did and what F did. icon_wink.gif

I think it's probably one of those things that becomes less irritating the more cachers you know. Maybe you could try hosting an event cache, and see if that changes your perspective? Even if it doesn't help, it's sure a lot of fun.

Shannah

I haven't seen anyone overdo it, really, unless you want to count Mitsuko. icon_confused.gif

I do think that some people refer to others in their group by nickname because they are expecting that the nickname might come up. For example, I might mention that "KATCacher" helped us find the cache, as an explanation to someone who finds a log from "KATCacher" and it sounds a lot like our log.

Sometimes people do it because they know that friends of theirs are going to be reading the logs. I worked with Team Jiffy many years ago, and I find it really interesting to hear what J did and what F did. icon_wink.gif

I think it's probably one of those things that becomes less irritating the more cachers you know. Maybe you could try hosting an event cache, and see if that changes your perspective? Even if it doesn't help, it's sure a lot of fun.

Shannah

I guess we're "guilty" of the practice, though it hardly seems like something worth worrying about when the GeoSpouse is finding GeoCrap in the cache...

Why do we do it? Well, it started with choosing a team name. We chose "Warm Fuzzies" just because. And then it was obvious that I had to be Fuzzy, because I am, and Warm had to be Warm, because her personality is. It took us forever to come up with a name for Little Warm, until the dog came on a cache hunt with us once and earned the name "Little Fuzzy" by virtue of being both little and fuzzy.

Is it an anonymity thing? No; anyone with enough time on their hands can get the coordinates of my house from my posts in these forums. Is it a roleplaying thing? No; we're exactly the same people in real life that you see here. It's just a fun thing. We get to take on different names than we use in our real, boring lives.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team StitchesOnQuilts:

Shannah

I guess what you're saying is that everyone at these events walks around calling each other by their nicknames?

"Hi Warm, Hi Fuzzy, where's Little Fuzzy? Has anyone seen Team Jiffy?"

Fun? Online, sure. In person, I dunno...might seem a little odd and intimidating to a newcomer.

lol - no, that's not really what I meant.

What I meant was that if, say, you knew me personally, you might find it less irritating if you saw me referred to on the forums as "Ms. StitchesOnQuilts", or "Shannah", neither of which are my "real" name.

Then again, who knows, maybe I'm *more* irritating in person. Event caches are like that: you post your cache and takes yer chances, y'know?

Shannah

quote:

I guess what you're saying is that everyone at these events walks around calling each other by their nicknames?

"Hi Warm, Hi Fuzzy, where's Little Fuzzy? Has anyone seen Team Jiffy?"

Actually, yeah.... except it was Team GeoStars we were being asked about, rather than Team Jiffy.

Seriously, at our event I introduced myself as "Ron, you can call me Fuzzy" and people chose how they wanted to address me. I answer to either name these days. Most people, though, chose to address me by the name I log under.

warm.gif

I guess I really shouldn't name my kids geoboy and geogirl then?

Actually Eeyore is an alternate nickname I use on IRC. Eeyores Shadow is one of shadows alternate nicks. I most often think of us as rain and Gypsy! icon_razz.gif

Truthfully I don't often use my given name I don't care for it and rain just sounds better. Gromit always remains Gromit geodog sounds like a rock.

Eeyore

It took a GPS to get me away from technology.

I guess I really shouldn't name my kids geoboy and geogirl then?

Actually Eeyore is an alternate nickname I use on IRC. Eeyores Shadow is one of shadows alternate nicks. I most often think of us as rain and Gypsy! icon_razz.gif

Truthfully I don't often use my given name I don't care for it and rain just sounds better. Gromit always remains Gromit geodog sounds like a rock.

Eeyore

It took a GPS to get me away from technology.

My husband and his family have practiced the art of nicknames since way before the internet.

No one is allowed to bowl with their given name and often the names must coincide with the appointed theme. As he and his brothers can quote movie lines and play the 6 degrees game like nobody's business, the obscure references can get pretty obscure. It adds an element of humor to throwing a 12 lb ball down a hallway at 10 little thingies.

Charlotte (of bloomcru-chosen to show inclusivity of family members)

quote:
Originally posted by Countess2002:

And as much as I try to make them, NO ONE will address me as Countess face to face!!

Countess2002, this is umc and if you ever call me anything other than that it will be bad because I am umc My mom calls me umc so does my wife.

Thanks for your time

umc

migo_sig_logo.jpg

[This message was edited by umc on September 25, 2002 at 06:52 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy & The Beast:

quote:
Originally posted by Lapaglia:

Minding a Never isnt that hard. All you need is an Old bucket, a chair, a dill pickle and a red sweater.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

What's the sweater for?

To keep the pickle warm, of course

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy & The Beast:

quote:
Originally posted by Lapaglia:

Minding a Never isnt that hard. All you need is an Old bucket, a chair, a dill pickle and a red sweater.

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

What's the sweater for?

To keep the pickle warm, of course

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif