Timber Project In Nj Parks - Njdep Release

BMSquared

Cachers may want to verify the don't have caches in the affected areas.

October 26, 2004

Dana Loschiavo

(609) 984-1423

State Parks and Forests Offer Firewood for Cutting

(04/124) TRENTON - The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is offering residents the opportunity to cut firewood at any of four participating state parks and forests for $15 a cord while supplies last. Through its Homeowner's Firewood Program, DEP's Division of Parks and Forestry opens up state land to individuals interested in cutting firewood for personal use.

"Taking advantage of this program provides people with another opportunity to enjoy the outdoors and experience nature first hand,"

said DEP Commissioner Bradley M. Campbell. "Cutting wood for personal use is a beneficial way to cut energy costs while affording individuals a chance to visit state forests."

The public can cut up to a maximum of five cords of standing timber.

Homeowners are responsible for cutting in designated areas and removing their own firewood.

Firewood at Belleplain and Wharton State Forests will not be available for cutting until October 30. Advance reservations are required and can be made for any two consecutive days.

The firewood program helps to reduce wildfire hazards by thinning the density of the forest. Cutting opens up the canopy of the forest for new growth reducing competition among existing trees for water and sunlight.

Commercial resale of the wood is not permitted.

The Homeowner's Firewood Program has been sponsored by the state since 1973.

If interested, call or visit one of the following areas for

reservations:

Belleplain State Forest

P.O. Box #450, County Route 550

Woodbine, NJ 08270

(609) 861-2404

High Point State Park

1480 State Route 23

Sussex, NJ 07461-3605

(973) 875-4800

Stokes State Forest

1 Coursen Road

Branchville, NJ 07826

(973) 948-3820

Wharton State Forest

4110 Nesco Road

Hammonton, NJ 08037

(609) 561-0024 (Batsto)

(609) 268-0444 (Atsion)

For a free copy of the New Jersey State Park Service's Fall and Winter Calendar of Events, call 1-800-843-6420 or visit any state park, forest or historic site near you.

Text telephone users can call NJ Relay Services at 1-800-852-7899.

Information is also available on the Division of Parks and Forestry's Web site: www.njparksandforest.org

Edited by BMSquared
"Taking advantage of this program provides people with another opportunity to enjoy the outdoors and experience nature first hand,"

said DEP Commissioner Bradley M. Campbell. "Cutting wood for personal use is a beneficial way to cut energy costs while affording individuals a chance to visit state forests."

A quote to remember.

Yes, I'm sure there will be a comprehensive training course on "Leave No Trace" ethics, staying on trail for as long as possible, and cleaning up the area when finished -- just a few of the many provisions that must be agreed to by those of us who live in places where geocaching permits are required, before we can hide a cache. <_<

I wonder whether the training course will teach folks the difference between live trees and dead trees. If it does, I would worry -- the dead trees are the ones with geocaches in or under them.

I'm sure there will be a comprehensive training course on "Leave No Trace" ethics, staying on trail for as long as possible, and cleaning up the area when finished -- just a few of the many provisions that must be agreed to by those of us who live in places where geocaching permits are required, before we can hide a cache.

That doesn't sound so bad, I know some people who need lessons in hiding a cache and a permit may help stop placing caches. :(

"Leave No Trace" ethics

What have they got to say about placing caches in the snow?

'm sure they're going to make sure EVERY person doing some weekend logging

Once I find a cache I don't usually wait until the weekend to log it, I need to get the smilie that night! :lol: Do they get a smilie for every log they cut down? :(