40-50 Houses Around The Cache!?!?!

NuBi

The other day I was caching in suburbia and found myself looking for the cache in a small grove of trees. When I walked 15 feet from the trees I noticed there were about 40-50 houses within sight of my location (you have to love those cookie-cutter houses!) I left shortly after searching for 10 minutes because of the “hey look at that creepy guy hanging out in the trees” feeling.

Do any of you have similar experiences?

I’m not sure if it is a sign of the Geocaching times but is it really necessary to hide a cache that badly, you need to put it in a small patch of trees surrounded by so many houses? I’ve been caching for about two years now and this “quality” of cache seems very common now.

Have a great day!

NuBi

Well, I'm glad this thread hasn't turned into another "This type of cache is beneath my caching aesthetic and must be banned thread." :lol:

There are all types of caches for all kinds of people. I don't burn rubber to be FTF and I actually READ cache pages before I hunt.

If it doesn't seem like my type of fun, I don't go. I've gotten to a few and decided the hunt wouldn't be quality time and blew it off. I've found many a lame cache and always found something nice to say even if it was only "Thank You." It's called freedom of choice and accepting responsibility for my own experiences.

What I don't understand is when a cacher blames the hider for their own lack of fun, or judges them for the hide, contents, etc., being beneath THEIR standards.

This sport has no shortage of "Type A" personalities with control issues and whom don't take responsibility for their own experiences. Gawd love 'em. They entertain me and my friends. My favorites are the self appointed cache police.

BOTTOM LINE: Someone has chosen to contribute to this great sport. The cache was approved. Other than pointing out hazards or other important items of information, shut up and say, "Thanks for the cache," or CHOOSE not to hunt it. Better yet, don't log it if you didn't like it.

Sn :lol::D gans

Man You've gotta love these caches. :D I have found quite a few of them. You've gotta love em. You have to be :lol: or look like you might be lost :lol: . Sometimes that works. Most of the time if it is in a housing addition or in front of someones house those are the ones that get me kinda syched. *spelling. Adreniline rushing the thrill of getting cought. It's almost like your breaking some kind of law but your not. :D the key is to be as :D as possible. Right. Like that could happen. Walkin around with a GPS and sayin which way did he go which way did he go. DUHH!!!! :D Oh well that is just me. :D

I've gone after 6 or so where I was in plain view of someone's living room and really didn't care for them. I think I only found one of them and gave up on the rest after a minute or two. In half of them the dog (and in one case several dogs) started barking as soon as I got there.

I'm not super crazy about caches in urban parks either, but I do them and can see why some people like them. Its one thing however being stealthy in a public park and quite another skulking outside someone's bedroom.

Like the OP, I don't see the point of these. They really aren't fun and they are unlikely to last very long. What person is going to want something that draws strangers to their neighborhood and sets their dogs a barkin'? I'm sure in many cases the neighbors investigate, find the cache and toss it.

I see the the "if you don't like them, don't do them" crowd arleady chimed in, but frequently you don't know until you're there what the situation is. A lot of these developments aren't even on the topo maps. No, I'm not in favor of banning them, but I make my displeasure known in the log.

Edited by briansnat

I pretty much just shake my head and move on.

We've come across caches where you have to hunt them in full view of residences. They generally don't last very long. Built-in life span limits, I suppose.

Actually a few of these types have been enjoyable. One that comes to mind was in a tiny little park along a pond. Ill conceived and didn't last long. I suspect because of local children discovered it as it was not well hidden

But, you know, folks have to learn somehow and sometimes these things pop up. Sometimes these types of caches are out of necessity. Who knows.

What I find inexcusable are areas in major need of CITO. I'm not talking about a piece or two. I remember one cache where the intent probably was for the cache to hide as a piece of trash because there was so much of it. Never did find it amongst the tires, clothes, fast-food bags, and no telling what else.

Caches like these don't add to our collective image.

Edited by CoyoteRed
<<<<<<<< Personal attack and profanity deleted>>>>>>>>

Dagnabbit! I wanted to see the personal attack and profanity. That's my favorite kind!

I HATE neighborhood caches, and I don't do them any more. I drove away from one the other day that is clearly on the maps as a chunk of public nature preserve, but it was surrounded by a new and expensive housing development with no place to park and no signage or obvious trailhead. I know I was in the right place, because the street was given in the description. I idled there for a while thinking, but I just felt too hinky about it.

If I get any hint of that from the logs or the maps, I give it a pass. My numbers are still low enough that I can afford the luxury.

I have one in front of my house that is basicly right on the street out in the open. It has provided many laughs at people that I have caught caching and some good stories, plus I get to meet other cachers.

All my neighbors know what is going on too so they dont just think it is weirds

i hit one of these when i was out in wyoming and it was nice to meet the owner...liked the idea so also have one in my yard and have been fortunate enough to meet a few of my fellow cachers...while these might not be everyones cup of tea, think it behooves finders to read descriptions and not just download waypoints

I have one in front of my house that is basicly right on the street out in the open... ...plus I get to meet other cachers.

All my neighbors know what is going...

(Probably good I didn't know about this one on my recent trip through your town, about 360 road miles from mine. You might not have wanted me rummaging around at midnight!)

I have always been protective of exposed geocaches but I too am seeing far too many that are exposed to civilians. I have been a bit more relaxed about them recently and am begining to assume that for caches like this, highly exposed in a residential neighborhood, that the owner is nearby.

Darwinism will sort out those where the cache placer just made a quick and not well thought out hide and run.

I have one in front of my house that is basicly right on the street out in the open. It has provided many laughs at people that I have caught caching and some good stories, plus I get to meet other cachers.

All my neighbors know what is going on too so they dont just think it is weirds

I have one like that too - except that on the other side of the street is a car dealership. *giggles*

We used the cache for a poker run, and multiple employees managed to make an excuse to go and check out what they were doing. - Makes for interesting logs.

TNLN - was questioned by a car salesman - TFTC. lol

I like the clipboard idea, maybe make up some fake biz cards on your computer and when the ticky tacky box dwellers ask you about your activity, you explain as you hand them a biz card "This area was a hazardous waste dump site back in the 60s, and i'm here to monitor the wells for any leakage of toxins. If you see any 2deformed rats or insects, give my office a call".

It'll make them run away, and start a nice bit of activity amongst the community. :huh:

My group once cleared out a riverside park, full of kids wading in a fountain on a beautiful July 4th evening while their parents looked on from the landscaped walkways. Problem was, there was a micro hidden under a bridge across the fountain pool.

Armed with flashlights, GPS receivers, cellphones, FRS radios and other geek gear, we had absolutely no problem passing ourselves off as representatives of the County Health Department. "Don't mind us, ma'am. We had a report of bats roosting under the bridge. Rabid bats."

The area emptied within minutes and we were able to wade into the pool to conduct our search.

I don't like them. When I feel uncomfortable, I leave. Nowadays, I check the cache page and maps beforehand and if it looks like one of these, I pass it up. I don't like skulking nearby someone's house. What if they have a gun? :P Heck, it might be safer caching in the woods during hunting season dressed in brown. :huh:

Not interested. To me it's not the just the hunt, but the quality of the cache. I'll leave those caches to people who like them, and more power to them. Urban parks are a bit of the same. I've gone to crowded parks and after seeing where I was, turned them down. (No, those I don't DNF, as I don't feel I really looked for a cache.) I just didn't want to "play the game" of being surreptitious, and I had no desire to explain what I was doing to anyone. I'd rather drive a couple of hundred miles to find a cache where people aren't my biggest concern, than go to a place where I have to be acutely aware of my every move. But, again, if you like this kind of cache, enjoy them. (Of course, my cache count has been pretty stagnant the last few months...)

Bring a dog. Alot of shelters/rescue groups will let you borrow them for an afternoon. Dog gets a fun day and you get cammo. "hmm now where is that poop" or "Fido, is your ball over here" are great covers too. Melissa

OOOHH awesome idea! I've always wanted a dog, but I live in an apartment and don't tihnk a dog would enjoy living in an apartment. Borrowing a dog for a day would be really cool. The dog would enjoy exploring all over, and I'd get a caching buddy with as much energy as me! I'm seriously going to look into this! Thanks for the idea! :huh:

In the centre of my old town (Europe, Netherlands) there is a cache named ' Leiden Urban 1' placed in an unused drain at the back of a house, easy reachable from the street. The place (space) is surrounded with high buildings full of windows where University students live (about 500 totally) and creepy creepy... hundreds of eyes will follow your every move!.

The cache is already more then 2 years old and disappeared (and sometimes reappeared) a few times.

Edited by Prof. Y. Lupardi
<shameless plug>

Dave's Opinions on Geocache Hiding

</shameless plug>

Some very good advice. But let's be frank here, do you really need to have the phrase "let's be frank here" repeated so many times?

Besides... I thought you were Dave, not Frank. ;)

It's a writing style, you know that. :lol:

As for why I linked my article, it's pertinent to this thread regarding my comments on placing caches where they would be "suspicious to concerned/paranoid locals".

-Dave R.

I found that riding a bicycle to an urban park hide works pretty well. If a lone adult male drives up to a park, gets out of his car and starts snooping around, it attracts some attention. If a cyclist rides into a park, stops, sits on a bench, walks around like he's stretching, adjusts shoes, or checks for some new mysterious mechanical problem on the bike, it's not as obvious. This all takes time and gives you more chances to check hiding spots. A tired-looking fat guy with a bike doesn't draw too many stares. It's easy for me to throw a bike in the truck, unload it someplace, and ride a few blocks to get to an urban hide. It works pretty well with hides in shopping centers too. I have five urban hides near my house. They all were placed using a bike. (One is an evil little micro. It took several visits to find a hiding spot and two more to get it into position.)