Which Gps Is The Best?

No money?

I'd keep my GPS V. I'd try out a 60C and a 76C. Then maybe one of those 96C's just for kicks.

Odds are I'd dump them all when and if Garmin ever comes out with a VI.

There was this one 3D terrain navigator GPS that was hyped a couple of years ago. Actual Quad maps that you could see your postion on. Pretty cool, very different.

Of course I'd get the Garmin GPS add in for my Pocket PC.

Edit:

I'd take a top end hard drive based Street Pilot, Compair it to a Magellan equivilent and then compair all that to a Pioneer Electronics Gizmo.

Edit II:

Where I to actually have to spend my money one one today it would be the 60C. The GPS Map 76C would be tempting but a tad big. Because I have a V I can hold out for a VI before I upgrade.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Well, having a GPS and getting another free compared to having none then choosing would make a difference.

With no GPS, I might choose the Vista (No C), but with the internal connections problems I might have to go with the Legend. It does everything I need to do. I haven't found any extra bell or whistle to help find a cache quicker. (I did just fine with a $20 Gazetteer for mapping.)

Yep, yep, I sure did.

I ordered a Legend C from Target last week with a delivery date of Dec 3.

I'm afraid price got me on that one, $169.99 less 10% was to good to pass up.

If this deal fall thru I'm not sure what I'll buy.

Heck, an eTrex yellow sounds like a great little no frills unit to have on hand, or one of those new Magellan eXplorist 100's. I'll just have to wait and see........

I like a lot of the units I read about here and on other forums. I think if money were no issue I would buy two GPSr's one for the car that could tell me turn for turn directions to use on a trip and a handheld maybe two for geocaching and other outdoor activities.

I don't think one GPS could do all of the things a person could want one for.

I'd take a poke in the eye.

I've tried darned near every unit in the market from the two leaders. Every one of them has something that drives me positively mad. That said, I don't think I've never been unable to find a cache in a case where I could conclusively blame the hardware I was carrying at the time, so you're free to say that I'm overly picky and that anything from an ancient GPS 12 or Magellan Pioneer (you know, the generation where you had to enter the coordinates in roman numerals and turn a crank on the side) through a Plat or a 60 will get the job done.

MY perfect unit still has to be built. It's quite possible that the perfect unit for YOU is already on the shelf.

(And if you're a vendor and think you've built the perfect unit and deserve my praise, contact me for the opportunity for me to sing your praise every time I see this question.)

Yep, yep, I sure did.

I ordered a Legend C from Target last week with a delivery date of Dec 3.

I'm afraid price got me on that one, $169.99 less 10% was to good to pass up.

If this deal fall thru I'm not sure what I'll buy....

It was too good to be true. They revised the deal to the Legend. They will let you cancel your order or you can wait and recieve the regular old Legend.

Avoid the Explorist and avoid the Gecko 101. No PC cable option.

I have to agree with robertlipe. I wouldn't complain if you gave me a map and a compass.

All the GPSrs have warnings that they should not be relied on 100%.

A map, compass, sextant and notepad are just as reliable.

Besides is there any one that knows how to use a sextant. (Incase you are wondering: Yes, I do) <_<

Edited by tttedzeins

I would have to go with the Magellan MobileMapper CE with the MobileMapper Beacon receiver option.

• embeded Windows CE.net OS
  • Bluetooth
  • Real-time sub-meter accuracy
  • Field replaceable rechargeble battery
  • SD memory expansion
  • Quadrifilar antenna
  • External antenna connection
  • 320x240 resolution daylight visible color screen

All I need is my bluetooth phone in my pocket, and I can fire up internet explorer on this guy and access geocaching.com. Pretty sweet. With the beacon receiver, you can get submeter accuracy in real-time. If you notice in the picture, it shows a satellite image view, which would be a pretty cool capability.

I chose the Etrex Legend C for its compact size, color screen and its auto routing (with CitySelect maps). I bought a nifty bracket at Radio Shack that clips onto my car's AC vents. It's easy to remove, and I can switch it to my wife's car easily.

It runs on the same firmware as the 60C and has a similar screen size but with higher resolution. It's much more compact than the 60C, and I find it very easy to geocache or run trails with. The buttons on the side make it a good choice for this type of active usage.

I confess that I wish I had spent a few more bucks on a Vista C for the electronic compass. The compass in the Legend C works well so long as you're moving. But when geocaching in densely wooded areas, it's got to be nice to have the electronic compass feature on the Vista C kick-in to hold your bearing.

For the money, I'm very pleased with the Legend C. Even if the price of the Legend C and 60C were equivalent, and despite the larger memory of the 60C, I would prefer the compact size of the Etrex Legend C or Vista C.

Edited by HHHarrier