Garmin Etrex Legend Mapping

JFoster

I personally use and like Mapsend Topo and Mapopolis. Both seam to work well with my Legend.

?? Mapsend Topo is a Magellan product for their GPS handhelds and Mapopolis is for Palms and PocketPCs. Neither one can download any maps to a Garmin Legend.

But I agree it depends on what you want. For travelling I'd recommend Garmin's MetroGuide which includes almost all roads (incl. ones in rural areas despite the name) and lets you search for street addresses and business locations like hotels, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. It'll be the most useful in getting you to the parking place where you start your cache search. OTOH, Garmin's MapSource Topo might be better once you're walking since it shows the contour elevation lines and has better coverage of small streams and other natural features.

For most people I think starting with MetroGuide would be best and then see if you want to spend the money for other maps. BTW, the MapViewer at

http://www.garmin.com/cartography is a good way to evaluate their map products.

BTW, if you travel with a laptop you might want to consider City Select instead of MetroGuide although it costs a bit more. The maps are the same, but CS will let use Garmin's free nRoute navigation program on your laptop. Hook up the Legend to the laptop and nRoute will give you voice directions of upcoming turns and provide automatic routing and rerouting.

I'll vouch for MetroGuide too! If you travel, those are the maps to have! Unfortunately, the Legend's 8MB of memory is pretty lean when loading MetroGuide maps.

After I got my MetroGuide maps for my Legend, I was a bit disappointed that more maps wouldn't fit into the memory. I ended up buying a Garmin eMap. It's the only Garmin handheld that I could find with expandable memory. I got a 128MB Data Card for it, and that made me happy.

I have to admit that I used my eMap more than I did the Legend, but I still loved a lot of the Legends features! That's why when Garmin introduced the 60 series, I rushed out and bought one!!! ...but then I had to buy City Select maps (like MetroGuide maps, but for autorouting units).