Archiving Caches During Winter?

phantom4099

I just wondering how many of you archive your caches during the winter time, and how hard it is to unarchive them in the spring time?

I am thinking of archiving my first/only cache in a few weeks because it will lose it's cover, and the park it is in is less intresteing without the flowers.

But on the hand I hate to remove it because it is the only one in my community of 11,000-13,000.

Wyatt W.

Just wondering what other people do...

Edited by phantom4099

"Archiving" is meant to be permanent, for when a cache is being removed with no intent to replace it. Once a cache is archived, it can only be unarchived by doing the following:

1. Contacting your volunteer reviewer (you cannot unarchive your own cache).

2. Having the reviewer look at the cache under the current listing guidelines to see if the cache can be listed again. (For example, if someone placed a cache 200 feet away from yours after yours was archived, your old cache cannot be unarchived. Or, if you archived a traveling cache, it cannot be unarchived because new caches of this type are not being listed.)

This is a hassle, so what's recommended is that caches be temporarily disabled when appropriate due to seasonal conditions. To temporarily disable a cache, go to the cache page while logged in under the owner's account, and click on the link just below the cache name. When it's ready again for people to hunt, use the "Click to Enable" link to restore the listing to active status. Both steps can be done by the cache owner with no involvement from Geocaching.com staff or volunteers.

It is a good idea, when disabling a cache, for the owner to post a note explaining the reason. Otherwise, you will eventually receive a note from your usually friendly volunteer cache reviewer, asking why the cache has been disabled for so long. If we see a note that says "This cache will be disabled until the road over the pass is opened again in April," then we will leave it alone until sometime after April.

I sure wouldn't bother archiving or disabling just because it's winter. If it's too exposed, find a new spot a few feet away. I have one cache where I switch winter and summer hiding spots. Winter is MUCH better than summer for caching anyway. Unless there's a foot of snow cover. No mosquitoes, no poison ivy, and few muggles. Oh yeah, and no ticks. I got Lyme Disease last July, so this one is near and dear to me.

James