Garmin Etrex Legend

eaglesong

I am currious to know what the functionality of the Legend is compared to the standard etrex when you do not have the software.

I have seen one in use with the data link and software and it's very nice but I would like to know if it has (at the very least) the street maps that I've seen programmed into it when it is purchased.

Hmm...ok :lol:

I may see about purchasing one used. I do have a relative with the softare package and data link cable so it would just take a trip to his place to download the maps but that's a 100 mile trip each way :lol:

Or I'll stick with my little yellow guy 'cause around here there are no roads leading to the caches anyway (at least no roads that would show up on a map)

The Legend's basemap is comparable to a decent state highway map, with a peppering of street-level detail around metro areas. If you're using it for trips of more than just a couple miles, it'll be quite handy. So you shouldn't be any worse off than you are with a Rand McNally yearly atlas. But keep the atlas in the back seat, just in case. ;-)

It really depends on what you want the GPS for. If you want to be able to see some streets, then the mapping program is the way to go.

If you use it for hiking, hunting, fishing, etc then there are no roads and no GPS will be better than the other.

I have a Legend because the price differential wasn't great enough to simply buy the Yellow.

Mike

I've got a Vista and it came with a basic mapping foundation like what davidbrit2 described above. While that is just fine if you're caching in rural areas where it doesn't matter much anyway how you get there so long as you do, it's not sufficient for urban sprawls.

We do most of our caching in Anchorage, Alaska where a lot of what we do is off trails and or two lane roads leading to nowhere. We found the most use for the maps though when we headed to Las Vegas and were surrounded by suburbia and downtown mazes...then it was downright essential to have something more than interstates and main roads depicted.

i have eTrex Legend (the old Black & White).

mapping is nice tool when using POI (points of interest: many restaurants, pubs, hotels, museums, and more...), when searching for an address, or streets intersection. you are in a city you never been before, and don't know too much about. you just heard about a nice place and you want to get there. you can get a cab to rich the place, or use your gps and try to figure out.

mapping is good in large and unknown cities. but only when walking or stoping time to time to figure out direction.

using map at car speed cause the unit to "freeze" few seconds or more to redraw the map on large scale (to much details). on small scale (lower details) is working faster but without a route previously loaded you might get into "no exit" roads.

it's ok when driving between cities: it will tell you that you are along the road, but same problem: large scale (low details) you can't figure out when must turn. on small scale (more details), you are aware about the moment of a certain turn possibility, but , is that the right turn?

so it is ok to use the map when walking, but you need to follow a route when driving.

if you plan to use it more when driving, and expect a help from it, you must have one of the models with automatic route calcutator. like Legend C.

Dan

Edited by danal70