Geocaching In Parade Magazine

Jeremy

Hope it turns out well. We had a good time on the photo shoot. Originally it was to have been published back in September/October but it was delayed. My wife was interviewed and we met up with a photographer outside of D. C. and took him caching with us. We are not quite sure what to expect but we were recently emailed by Parade for an update on our facts. Hope it does our hobby justice and yes we could see an influx of new cachers but if we educate them coming into the hobby then it will only enrich things for all of us geocachers. :huh:

I just hope the expected influx of new cachers take the time to educate themselves and if they plan on placing any caches, they read enough of the FAQ on how, where, what etc. so geocaching doesn't get a sudden jump in bomb scares like the recent one posted. Of course, even if all the safety precautions and rules are met by the placer, it still happens.

Does anyone else think that this is kind of scary? I've only been around for 5 months, but I'm preparing for the storm.

I guess the lesson is to log your Saturday finds on Saturday, log you Sunday finds on Monday (don't forget to change the 'found' date) and send a case of Mountain Dew to Keystone Approver, Crashmore and Mtn-man, so they don't get bleary eyed pressing ctrl-v into a post saying "please read the FAQ thread pinned at the top of the Getting Started forum."

Team GPSaxophone, Briansnat, Renogade Knight, Uperduper, Stunod, Sparky, Tirediron, Mopar, Rusty, Team K9, Cybret, Snoogans, Prime Suspect, Carleen P, Robespeier, Peawacket, Markwell, Thot, . . . Please be here Sunday to help the flood of newbees find their way.

Edit: I think I'll just lay low for a while. :huh:

Edited by Sputnik 57

Is there any way someone could perhaps scan and send the article to me?

I live in South Africa and am working at improving the geocaching situation here. We have very few caches and cachers in the area where I live. I have approached our local community newspaper for assistance, but trying to explain the concept to someone who has absolutely no idea what I'm talking about is difficult in the extreme.

Any positive publicity material would be gratefully accepted.

Please email to me so as not to jam up the forum.

Thanks.

The possibility of new cachers is great, but I'm hoping it will just help non-cachers to accept that my hobby is credible.  So many people think it's just a little crazy, and I think part of that is because it isn't that well-known publicly.

No. It's not that it isn't well known. It's that it IS crazy. And, you have to be a little bit crazy to participate.

"You may be right.

I may be crazy.

But it might just be a lunatic your looking for. . . "

Bill Joel isn't too far off.

How many hundreds of dollars and hours have we each spent hunting and talking about and thinking about, and hiding little containers of various sizes with no significant intrinsic value? I think it is a compliment to be thought at least a little crazy. I find others actually envious of my craziness at times.

Eat your hearts out you borring, timid sots!

Pip, your caching activities will always be credible (Parade Magazine or not) as far as I'm concerned - credible with a lot of other crazies too, I have no doubt.

I'm happy that Geocaching will get some legitimacy by being reported on in Parade, but I'm a little nervous as well.

Myself being a semi-newbie, I stumbled upon this by just being a techno-geek. Having some geekiness in you is part of how caching finds you. That's right, caching finds you. You don't find caching. You either are a cacher, or you are not a cacher. There's no such thing as a casual cacher. Some may take a break from it for the winter or because of burnout, but it is always in you. I love having knowledge of places and things that other people know nothing or very little about because of caching.

With the sudden huge exposure about to happen, there will be a flood of people coming into the sport (maybe not, see below).

Of the newbies, very few will stick with caching. Far fewer will abide by the trading etiquette. I fear many caches will be pilfered over the next year or so.

As far as the timing of the release of this article: It may bring about many visits to the site, and spike in purchases of equipment, but how many people will go out with cold weather approaching? My guess is not many. A Springtime "get off the couch" release may have been better.

I realize Parade is a nearly worldwide magazine, but far more people live above the Equator than below.

In the end, my fear is this flood of exposure will dilute caching much in the same way hockey, baseball and basketball have been diluted with expansion.

I hope my cynicism is wrong.

Edited by derekdoubleut

We are really preparing for the storm in the DC area. The Washington Times just did a cover feature today in their Washington Weekend Section. The Cover story with five center pages and 11 photos. It was very educational too and featured interviews with CCCooperAgency, Jeremy, The MGS Core Officers and others. With this and MGS geocachers being featured on Sunday and Maryland in the flux of a change in Approvers we could be in for a pretty wild ride locallyin the DC/Maryland area! ;)

http://washingtontimes.com/weekend/20041103-104838-9975r.htm

but how many people will go out with cold weather approaching? My guess is not many

A lot. Around here activity stays pretty consistent in the winter and even picks up a little in some areas during the winter. The difficult swamp caches that sit all summer without a find get a lot of visits once the ground freezes.

People like hunting without insects, poison ivy, bear and snakes to worry about and reception is better without leaves on the trees.

Is there any way someone could perhaps scan and send the article to me?

I live in South Africa and am working at improving the geocaching situation here. We have very few caches and cachers in the area where I live. I have approached our local community newspaper for assistance, but trying to explain the concept to someone who has absolutely no idea what I'm talking about is difficult in the extreme.

Any positive publicity material would be gratefully accepted.

Please email to me so as not to jam up the forum.

Thanks.

If you want I could try and mail you the Magazine if you would like.

Send me a email if you end up wanting a copy.

I'm really looking forward to reading it Sunday. :unsure: