Coolest Puzzles

The Puzzler

Being a puzzle fan, and working on a couple of puzzle caches to keep people busy at their dinner table during the winter months, I was curious what some of your favorite puzzle caches have been and why.

One of the caches in my old stomping grounds that received a lot of acclaim was The Rosabelle Cipher which I enjoyed solving, but never managed to hunt before I moved south.

My favorite puzzle cache is Syzygy, because unlike other puzzles, you do not even find out what the puzzle *is* until you have hiked more than a mile along a scenic river bluff trail, finding three clue micros along the way. Finally, you reach stage four, an ammo box containing the puzzle. You have no choice but to sit in the woods and figure it out on-site. It can't be photocopied. It can't be written down. Attempts to photograph it have not succeeded. There's no sitting at home in your easy chair, surfing the internet from your wireless laptop for code solutions. Sit in the woods, slap a skeeter or two, turn a puzzle piece just the right way.... and .... VOILA! It is on to the final stage, which is yet another nice hike.

This is *the* puzzle cache for people like me who stink at puzzle caches involving math and computer skills. You can only solve it out in the field. For that reason, we are glad we chose Syzygy as our 1,000th geocache find. It took us two trips and a law enforcement encounter to log a smiley here.

We've enjoyed every puzzle cache we've ever done. Some of our favorites have been:

Starry, Starry Night -- this one can by done from your computer; there's no physical location to travel to. It's a fun mental exercise.

Hoping to Stump You! -- this one requires you to decipher the latitude from a text paragraph, and then use some arithmetic to determine the longitude, and then a trip out to a virtual cache.

Trivial Trail Pursuit ... NOT! -- this is a variable-stage multi: there are anywhere from four to nine stages, depending on whether you answer a trivia question at each stage correctly. (Multiple-choice answers are each associated with a set of coords; the correct answer leads you to the next stage, while an incorrect answer leads you to a "try-again" location.)

Can You Feel the Chemistry? -- just a fun puzzle -- for some people the answer leaps out at them immediately, others spend days going off in the wrong direction.

Cousin Pattys clue cache -- this was a great combination in that it was both a puzzle to determine the parking location, and then the route to the cache itself was a reflector-type night cache. (The puzzle was a series of very vague hints, doled out on the cache page a bit at a time over three days, that needed to be pieced together to narrow down the starting location).

Unusualoo -- a trip around town collecting bits and pieces of information, some arithmetic to determine the final coordinates, ending with a very cool and fun cache location.

Picture Puzzler -- not difficult, but very fun: the hider took a picture of a park, and then photoshopped out a certain object in the picture. The task is to stand in the exact spot that the photographer stood, and then look around to determine what object is missing, and then look for the cache there (a micro). What made it a bit challenging for us is that the picture was taken in winter, with snow on the ground and leaves missing from half the trees; we searched for it in October, with full foliage and no snow.

Hi,

There is a puzzler in my area, Rupert's Cash Cache, that has a cool story, a fiendishly tough cryptogram, and a $100 FTF prize. It is currently being watched by 78 people, all of them hoping to be the first to find the cache.

nfa-jamie

i'm not sure how obliquely i have to make this threat:

i can find you. it's your &%*% cache i can't find. do i have to keep tellig you to quit advertising it? i know some people who know some people. that's a nice family you have. it would be a shame if anything happened to them.

love, flask

Hi,

There is a puzzler in my area, Rupert's Cash Cache, that has a cool story, a fiendishly tough cryptogram, and a $100 FTF prize.  It is currently being watched by 78 people, all of them hoping to be the first to find the cache.

nfa-jamie

"Fiendishly"?

Hardly covers it. . .

I have gotten to the point where I believe I can solve the cipher if I can just discover the code key, Which is supposed to be in the letter. . . although I can't find it.

Edited by BigWhiteTruck

QUOTE (NFA @ Oct 27 2004, 08:31 AM)

Hi,

There is a puzzler in my area, Rupert's Cash Cache, that has a cool story, a fiendishly tough cryptogram, and a $100 FTF prize. It is currently being watched by 78 people, all of them hoping to be the first to find the cache.

nfa-jamie

QUOTE (BigWhiteTruck @ Oct 28 2004, 07:14 PM)

"Fiendishly"?

Hardly covers it. . .

I have gotten to the point where I believe I can solve the cipher if I can just discover the code key, Which is supposed to be in the letter. . . although I can't find it.

Well i think i know what the key is, but i cant figure out how to use it in the cipher!!! :o hmmm......wanna trade info? I cant get the cache anyway as i live in central ohio and to get to the area its about 6 hours one way. but i am still trying to crack the code. mabey i'll get lucky in the lotto and go on a big road trip.

Heres a pretty cool one, I thought it to be unique!

Focus 1.0

A good one, but hardly unique...

I had one of these on the back of a locked logbook, with the combination of the lock. Really annoyed one team who just can't see these SIRS!

At least with this one, if you can't do them, you don't need to get to the end of a multi before needing to!