Pc Mapping Software

I just bought the DeLorme USA Topo. It covers the entire country and costs under $100. Might be nice for custom maps since it has the ability to display in 3D with light shading, and other cool features.

If you need quad-maps on the computer, several companies sell those including DeLorme, National Geographic, and AllTopo. The benefit, you can print out and customize actual topo quad maps. The downside, each is around $100 per state.

Happy Shopping,

Bob

Edited by Bobthearch

I like ExpertGps myself. Similar to USAPhotomaps in that you download the USGS maps and satellite images from the Internet. You can print them, whatever. Also has GPSr support, waypoint management, and can import/export gpx files, etc. It's at least worth trying the 30-day free trial. Broadband recommended, though.

I picked up Delorme USA Topo when 5.0 came out and they offered the discount at the time of release. I've not been impressed. It's vector based so just isn't as detailed as what you get with expertgps or National Geographics state-specific maps.

I recently purchased the National Geographic TOPO! State series for "Colorado" and I'm very happy with it. 4x4books.com had a good price on it , $79.95. Amazon had it for a good price too but they were always out of stock. I also have expertgps and have used it for about a year. It works fine for general hiking or caching but the thing I wanted out of a map was the ability to scale a coordinate in the field. The NG TOPO! maps make it easy using standard 24K tools. I print on adventure paper, two sides, using a 30 second grid. Perfect for hiking and caching in the mountains of Colorado.

Yes, Adventure paper is a waterproof, tear-resistant paper for the ink jet printer. It's a little pricey at $.80 a sheet, but well worth it in my estimation. I can usually fit my hike on a single 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. I fold it into quarters and slip it into a small pouch on the belt strap of my pack for easy reference. I cant do that with larger maps. You can find the paper Here but I buy mine at REI locally.