More Problems Downloading Waypoints

j9cache & Mike(j9+M)

Help! I have not been able to connect my GPSr to my comp. My GPSr does not seem to be recognized even tho it is listed in the device log. The technical service rep said it is because I have Win XP. Anyone else have this problem and know of solutions? Thanks.

Some more info would be helpful. What GPSr are you using? How is it connected (USB or com port)? What software are you attempting to get to recognize the unit? I use XP and have very little trouble.

Bluespreacher

If memory serves correctly when installing Trips & Waypoints manager users are still required to download USB drivers. You may have to do this if you have not done so already. Also, and another memory test, I believe I read in the forums here that the EasyGPS version available through gc.com is not the latest and it does not have USB support. You should go and get the free download directly from easygps.com.

Good Luck, Olar

OK, I downloaded what you said to, and it seems to have gotten me closer in that my GPSr is listed in that little box you get when you try to send info from the computer to the GPSr, but it still lists it as a serial port rather than a USB, and says it is getting no info from the GPSr. I have downloaded drivers for the USB, checked them with tech support from Garmin, and downloaded an update I got today from Garmin, so I'm at v. 2.06.

Hello

I am trying to understand the trouble you are having. You can't communicate with your gpsr from your computer. But you indicate you downloaded v.206 from Garmin and I guess installed it in the Garmin. You must have installed it otherwize mentioning it would not make any sense.

So your computer will download software to the Garmin but Easy GPS will not communicate with the Garmin.

Are we right so far??

Maybe the Swiss Army Knife might work better??

You can use Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) free for 21 days. I'd suggest downloading and installing (GSAK), to eliminate EasyGPS as the source of the problem (if GSAK works, I'd recommend buying it - it's a great program with much greater functionality than EasyGPS). If GSAK doesn't work, you probably have a more fundamental problem with software settings on the PC.

No, until yesterday, there was no communication between my computer and my GPSR. When I say I downloaded something, I meant into my computer. My husband spent some time again yesterday with it, doing all sorts of things which I can't tell you what they are, nor probably does he specifically remember which did the trick, but now my MapSource and GRSr can communicate. We've been working on this off and on for over a month. I still can't get EasyGPS to work. Since I knew fundamentally the problem was in communication, I have not downloaded any other things to help with waypoints. I will now have to fiddle some more and see what I can learn.

Additionally, it seems I still can't get it to talk to MapSource on my computer w/ XP. the above was on my husband's computer using Win '98. Anyone else having problems they attribute to XP?

Edited by j9cache

USUALLY (the up/dn load is realtive to the computer -- down load tracks FROM the GPS and upload waypoints TO the GPS.

Depending on the program and the data (loc or gsx) you get 8 characters for the title usually the GCabcd waypoint name - and the actual coordinates - if you have GSAK and use gsx files you get a little more information like the real text title of the cache. Most gps's don't give you a lot of room for extra data.

hope that answers your questions -

:lol: