Binoculars With Built In Gps?

Milbank

I would like to see someone come up with binoculars with built in GPS.

I think it would be cool to look across the lake at tree (or what ever) put the red dot you see in the binoculars on the tree and then have the coordinates displayed inside the binoculars.

I could then enter them coordinates into my lap top with high speed satellite connection and view a satellite photo of the area using expert gps.

Even better the binoculars would connect to my laptop via wireless usb and the expert gps sat. image would scroll as I viewed different area's with the binoculars.

Hey, I can dream right. <_<

What other ways would you like to see gps put to use?

I would like to see someone come up with binoculars with built in GPS.

I think it would be cool to look across the lake at tree (or what ever) put the red dot you see in the binoculars on the tree and then have the coordinates displayed inside the binoculars.

I could then enter them coordinates into my lap top with high speed satellite connection and view a satellite photo of the area using expert gps.

Even better the binoculars would connect to my laptop via wireless usb and the expert gps sat. image would scroll as I viewed different area's with the binoculars.

Hey, I can dream right. <_<

What other ways would you like to see gps put to use?

It's "sort-of" possible. You can get a crude distance estimate by focusing, but if the binoculars have a deep depth-of-field, it's not going to be very accurate. And the further out you go, the less accurate it will be.

However, you could combine binoculars with a GPS and a laser range-finder...

We have been doing exactly that for a number of years in the offshore survey industry. Not so much now but it was a common thing to position a vessel relative to another vessel using a laser system. Remember that you also need to know the bearing to the secondary vessel. Then, a simple range and bearing calculation (from a known position) and the job is done. To get a good result however you will also have to drag a good, accurate gyro compass around with you too.

The trend now is to have a full GPS system on the secondary vessel and a radio telemetry system to pass the position (and any other required information) in that way.

qm that was a cool link now i need to get one of them so i can zero in on the cache location from a distance instead of walking in circles with the gpsr inside of 20ft

btw i would like to see a gpsr built into my keys that could transmit its location to my pc into a detailed map of my house because i am always losing those things around to house

:lol: Actually, like has been pointed out above, these things do exist in the military. Say that you are an observer for artillery fires. In your vehicle you have a GPS to determine your location, a laser range finder with a north seeking gyro, and a computer. The GPS tells you where you are at the present time. The north seeking gyro maintains your direction of aim to a known north direction. The laser range finder in conjunction with its' mount and the gyro determines a distance, from you to the target, the vertical angle (how much you are looking up or downhill) and the direction. The computer takes the outputs from the laser station and in conjunction with the GPS info determines where the target is.

Now the downhill side of this is that the military plugger weighs about 5 pounds, the laser is another 50 or so, and the computers weigh anything from 35 pounds to 13000 pounds of the vehicle with the built in targeting station.

Of course the benefit of these vehicles is that they can go about anywhere.