Stay Away From This Geocache

Kermode

Cache ------> GCKTWT

This is a caching event cache.

Someone enquires about the cache event.

The Cache Owner replies that the enquiring person is not wanted at the cache event because they do not live in a certain area.

I do not think that this is acceptable and would like to know what others think.

If you are not happy about fellow Geocachers treating others in this fashion then visit the cache page and log a note to inform the owners of the cache what you think.

See this post-----> http://www.vigps.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=161

The offending Geocache--- >

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...eb-5ef69b3acda4

I'm glad I don't live in the area. I would hate to be associated with such a group that excludes fellow cachers from other areas.

It's usually a sense of pride to an event when people travel from outside the area to attend. I also wonder how this event was approved. Can we now start holding event caches for certain social, or demographic groups? Can anyone guess as to where this might lead us?

Oh...BTW...I no longer sell hiking staffs to anyone in that area.

El Diablo

Hello,

This event was listed because there was no express mention on the cache page that attendance would be limited.

A "should be archived" request has been entered on the cache page. This will be looked at by the Reviewer who listed the cache, who may then get in touch with the cache owner. That having been done, I would like to discourage the use of this cache page as a forum thread. I've already edited one cache page log for profanity, and I was none too pleased to read the suggestion to destroy any geocaches hidden by the event organizer. Let's work out our differences peaceably, and use this forum thread as a proper place for discussion.

Thank you.

Although I am APPALLED at the actions of this cache organizer. I have to say that the actions advocated by Cachemaniac (an obvious sockpuppet account) on the cache page are equally bad <_< . It may be that others attending this event would welcome "outside cachers" I just hope the cache organizer rethinks his position and realizes that it is inappropriote to exclude anyone.

There is such a thing as too many people attending an event. Some events I've been to will never happen again because the growth is beyond managing for what type of event they wanted to have. People can wail and bemoan the exclusive nature of a cache event but in the end if you can't control how many attend because of growth in the hobby's rank and file then you just learn to not have events.

If the ideal for this site is "free and open events for all" then people will learn to adapt. In part by not posting events.

Is there anything wrong with a local's only event? No. Is there anything wrong with the complete opposite in Geowoodstalk? No. Is there anything wrong with a members only event? No. Is there something wrong with complying with the fire marshals capacity rating? No. Is there something wrong with a rock climber only event? No. And so one.

They are not specifically excluding anyone so much as specifically trying to have people in a region come. You asked, they said they only wanted cachers in their region. Honor their request. It’s not personal so far as I can tell. Hold your own event and invite them out of spite. Or hold your own event and draw your own lines. Rest assured if you make their event less than fun, you can probably count on it not happening again.

Edited by Renegade Knight

One more thing. Keep the frigging politics in the forums. Yes you all are making a point by cluttering up the cache page with your comments. Invite the cache owner over here to the sandbox where the sand kicking won't bloody up a cache page with the politics and opinions.

Save the tar and feathers for the forum. That's what the forum is for.

I'm backing RK all the way on this one.

There is absolutely no reason not to have an event where only folks from a certain area are invited. It's not as if only specific people are invited, it's all cachers who live in a certain area.

Jeeze, some people are all for MOCs yet pee and moan if they aren't invited to an event.

Sorry, can't have it both ways.

you are all invited to any Southern Oregon pizza event you want to come to. I'd even help you find any local caches you want to visit.

I have to agree with the fact that event caches should be open to all cachers... but posting messages on the cache page is not the way to handle it... most locals looking at the event are certainly not going to know what you're talking about, and they are less apt to change their minds about inviting others.

I myself only go to were I'm invited... everyone else can KMA

Restricting cachers who don't live in a certain geographic area is a kin to only allowing people of a certain race or religion to log.

If you want to restrict visitors to an event...send out invites in the mail and keep it off the site. Once its listed out here, its open to ALL who want to attend.

<_< Your assuming that you want to go caching with these people. Maybe there is an underlying reason they don't want outsiders playing their game. They could be swingers or potheads or Mormons or some other sort. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just that it might put others in an uncomfortable situation. You remember "Police Academy" movies, where they run into the gay bar, and a lot of the gay guys were were dressed up like policemen too. It might be like that! Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Anyway, I think it's in bad taste to post it on GC.com. At my son's elementary school they are not allowed to hand out Birthday cards during class unless everyone in the class gets one. It's just respect or lack there of.

Spiritnip

I've seen events that were meant to be for locals - but they didn't say 'DON'T COME TO THIS CACHE IF YOU LIVE OUTSIDE THIS SPECIFIC AREA'. They just said something like "this cache is for people of the Golden Triangle area" or the "Metro area". It's kinda obvious it's not a statewide event and they don't expect a statewide or nationwide turnout - but it's also fairly obvious that it's ok if you attend.

I can understand limiting the NUMBER of people - maybe a "Space is limited, please sign up early" situation. I think I've seen a cache like that before.

I can't imagine excluding anybody. Incredibly rude.

I couldn't help think of the MOC Event that caused a stir a few weeks back. How does this equate?

southdeltan

We would like to invite Cachers and thier families from Campbell River to Naniamo for a get together............

Is that the line that has caused all this? Looks like a lot of people are over reacting. I don't see anything that says "Keep out....if you're not from around here".

Since the person that is holding the event hasn't even logged into the site since yesterday I would wait before making anymore comments about this event.

We would like to invite Cachers and thier families from Campbell River to Naniamo for a get together............

Is that the line that has caused all this? Looks like a lot of people are over reacting. I don't see anything that says "Keep out....if you're not from around here".

Since the person that is holding the event hasn't even logged into the site since yesterday I would wait before making anymore comments about this event.

If that is the reason - I agree this is a total over reaction. (Ok, I didn't read the cache page at first, just trusted that if you posted a link then the exlusionary statement was fairly obvious on the page).

Otherwise - has the cache page been editted??

southdeltan

The bottom line is this:

Any cache listed on the GC.com website is open to all who wish to take the effort to find it. This holds true for event caches as well.

There has been quite a few discussions in the forums about caches listed on the site in which the owner wants a certain person to have FTF. If people want to restrict a cache to a certain person, they should give the coordinates to them offline and then list the cache once they have successfully logged it.

Event caches are the same thing. Restricting those who attend once its listed on a PUBLIC website is just like the reserved FTF scenario I just spoke of.

They are of course welcome to have a private get together, but once its listed on the GC.com website, all those who wish to attend, are allowed to do so.

If that is the reason - I agree this is a total over reaction. (Ok, I didn't read the cache page at first, just trusted that if you posted a link then the exlusionary statement was fairly obvious on the page).

southdeltan

OOPS!

I forgot he said the Cache Owner emailed somebody:

From the Oct 23 log by Cache Jordan

If this is a private event I don't think it should not be open for public view. I had posted in another forum I should make my vacation then to attend . Thank god I didn't get my airfare lol. 5000km away isn't in the right area either.

(below email sent to a cacher who said they were going to attend)

Hi there

I see that you are from Shanigan lake...It says on the webpage thet the 2nd Mid Island cache is for cachers from Nanaimo to Campbell river... Thans for wanting to come out but you don't Live in the right area

It's not on the cache page - he just emailed people and told them they weren't welcome.

Very very Tacky. (If it is true he emailed that... not doubting Cache Jordan but I'd love to hear the other side of the story).

southdeltan

I think this is a very tacky thing to do, don't get me wrong - but I did have a thought...

Cache owners are given the right to decide what a cache hunter must do to claim a find (possibly above and beyond signing the lobook - and sometimes allowing finds even if they didn't sign the logbook).

Is an event different somehow?

Just wondering.

I would never do that (exclude anybody from a cache event).

sd

Any cache listed on the GC.com website is open to all who wish to take the effort to find it.

Unless it's a MOC. Then you have to be a paying member.

You still place MOCs for a couple of days to reward paying members? How is that different than this event?

Anyone can be a member if they desire.

There lies the difference.

Only a select few people live within the area specified on the event page while membership on the site is open to all who want it..

There is absolutely no reason not to have an event where only folks from a certain area are invited. It's not as if only specific people are invited, it's all cachers who live in a certain area.

Jeeze, some people are all for MOCs yet pee and moan if they aren't invited to an event.

I have always assumed that listed caches on gc were open to all cachers. Certainly smaller groups can call each other up and get together for any reason - but being listed on gc seems to open it up. I've been saving my 100th cache for an occasion, and I'm planning for the Wilderness Center Event (Ohio) next Saturday...but now I'm wondering if I'm breeching protocol...I was gonna meet people and have a good time, and get a few caches... I'm going to email someone and ask if it's OK.

In the meantime, most of the comments on the cache page were unnecessary, and some of them were out of line. We have "family caching events" which are private. We just don't list them.

The Cache Owner replies that the enquiring person is not wanted at the cache event because they do not live in a certain area.

I do not think that this is acceptable and would like to know what others think.

That's absolutely un-cool! The whole point of an event is to meet all kinds of other geocachers from just about anywhere. I think that if they wanted to have an exclusionary get-together they should have just had a traditional non-geocaching get-together. <_<

There is such a thing as too many people attending an event. Some events I've been to will never happen again because the growth is beyond managing for what type of event they wanted to have. People can wail and bemoan the exclusive nature of a cache event but in the end if you can't control how many attend because of growth in the hobby's rank and file then you just learn to not have events.

If the ideal for this site is "free and open events for all" then people will learn to adapt. In part by not posting events.

Is there anything wrong with a local's only event? No. Is there anything wrong with the complete opposite in Geowoodstalk? No. Is there anything wrong with a members only event? No. Is there something wrong with complying with the fire marshals capacity rating? No. Is there something wrong with a rock climber only event? No. And so one.

They are not specifically excluding anyone so much as specifically trying to have people in a region come. You asked, they said they only wanted cachers in their region. Honor their request. It’s not personal so far as I can tell. Hold your own event and invite them out of spite. Or hold your own event and draw your own lines. Rest assured if you make their event less than fun, you can probably count on it not happening again.

Well my good friend RK has brought up a different perspective. I totally disagree with him. If you are going to hold an event then it should be open to all who wish to attend. I’ve been to events where 50-60 people showed up, and I’ve never heard a complaint about it being too large. Most local event caches will draw very little interest outside the area. Usually if someone from outside the area wishes to attend it’s considered an honor to have them.

I think by allowing events that limit who can attend is leading event caches down a path that we probably don’t wish to go. It won’t be long before you have events that are limited to certain racial groups, social groups or even gender groups. I disagreed with the MOC only event that was recently held for the same reasons.

I just think it’s in bad taste and down right rude to limit participation We are all cachers that share the same passion no matter which area we live in, our financial means, race, gender, or religion.

El Diablo

First off let me say that I am appalled with some of the comments that certain people who didn't have the gonads to use their real name posted on the cache page my young children are both cachers and could have read those posts! The coward that posted the sock puppet should be banned from this great hobby not me.

I don't know exactly where to start because I can't believe this has gotten so far out of hand so here goes... I love this hobby, I have been doing this for over 2 years I've geocached from Yellowknife in the north to San Diego and as far east as Montreal Quebec. I have told everyone that will listen me about how great this hobby is. I am probably one of this hobby's greatest advocates. When I came here just over 2 years ago I could count on one hand how many Geocachers were in the Comox Valley and on the other hand I could count all the caches that were here. Enough about me. I just wanted everyone to know how much I love this hobby and what it means to me.

Last year I invited local cachers to get together so that we could meet each other face to face and talk about this great hobby of ours. I think there were 12 or so cachers and their families. This turned out to be more successful then I ever imagined (there was about 30 people in attendance) everyone left with some sort of prize. The logistics of planning even that little event was mind-boggling.

Over the last year I have been asked by old and new cachers to hold another event. The popularity of caching in the Comox valley has grown in leaps and bounds.

The only reason picked the area I did was to limit the number of people at the event. As it is, with The area I chose there could be 40 or so people show up which could lead to up to 100 people showing up! I guess I could of just invited the same people again this year but I wanted to allow the new cachers to come and have a great day also.

Because of the activities we had planed last year (and this year) I can only have so many people attend. Plus we had prizes for everyone that attended. We spent out of our own pocket close to 200 dollars. If I opened it up to everyone I would have no control over how many people showed up and I could not assure the quality of the event, plus I would never be able to collect enough prizes for everyone.

As for some of the comments in this thread I would like to address them individually

I am in fact sorry that I listed this cache the way I did It will never happen again. I might never list another cache ever again. I will sleep on it.

There is absolutely no reason not to have an event where only folks from a certain area are invited. It's not as if only specific people are invited, it's all cachers who live in a certain area

Thank you CR for seeing my point its not as if I said "Only left handed people could attend" that would be silly and against my nature.

Restricting cachers who don't live in a certain geographic area is a kin to only allowing people of a certain race or religion to log.

If you want to restrict visitors to an event...send out invites in the mail and keep it off the site. Once its listed out here, its open to ALL who want to attend.

This does not even deserve a response!

Anyway, I think it's in bad taste to post it on GC.com. At my son's elementary school they are not allowed to hand out Birthday cards during class unless everyone in the class gets one. It's just respect or lack there of.

This "class" has hundreds of thousands class mates I can't invite everyone.

It has not been edited that is the way I first posted it

It's not on the cache page - he just emailed people and told them they weren't welcome.

Very very Tacky. (If it is true he emailed that... not doubting Cache Jordan but I'd love to hear the other side of the story).

southdeltan

The problem with the cache is that someone just out of Nanaimo wanted to attend

I only emailed one person...music-cachers...(and he didn't even live close to the area.) He is the one that started this whole thing.

THANKS FOR TRYING TO RUIN THIS GREAT HOBBY FOR ME AND MY FAMILY we are all disgusted with the way this turned out. We were only trying to do something nice for the cachers in the area who have become our true great friends.

This does not even deserve a response!

Yes it does.

El Diablo

Maybe use a "make reservations now, space limited" invitation? That would make sense for your situation without being rude or exclusionary.

Another idea, just send personal invitations to local cachers for a day of events and cache-hunting. Post the caches on Geocaching.com after you and your friends are finished with them.

I wouldn't want 100 people showing up at my house either...

Best Wishes,

Bob

There are cachers in my area I don't know. I wanted them to also attend. I just thought that I could reach more people with this method. I didn't think it would turn into a bunch of of undeserving comments from people who don't even know me and slandering the local cachers without even knowing all the facts.

The first part of your statement is what event caches are designed for. The second part contradicts your posting. The third part I'll wait and see what facts you relay to us.

El Diablo

I have read all the posts in this thread several times. I still don't see the "Big" issue here. I think it is great that someone is taking the time and effort to get people in the area together for fun. To me that is part of what caching is about. Setting geographical limits in order to have a managable group in order to ensure a good event is not a bad idea. Let the people who live in that area have thier fun. Jumping down the throat of someone who is trying to create a stronger Geoaching community where they live seems to go against everything that I have learned to enjoy about this sport.

This event hurts noone, and can benifit the overall cause a great deal. I just shake my head over the fuss of one little event.

I'll agree, the rude comments and threats were uncalled for. I would hope that TPTB can trace that person and at minimum warn the cacher in question. I'd even support a temporary suspension.

That said, this event cache is a bit bush league. If there are certain cachers you want to reward with goodies or prizes, set up a RSVP. No RSVP or a "regrets" that is reversed to late simply means no goodies.

I go to event caches to meet other cachers and to swap stories. If I don't win a prize or a raffle, it's no big deal to me.

I have read all the posts in this thread several times. I still don't see the "Big" issue here. I think it is great that someone is taking the time and effort to get people in the area together for fun. To me that is part of what caching is about. Setting geographical limits in order to have a managable group in order to ensure a good event is not a bad idea. Let the people who live in that area have thier fun. Jumping down the throat of someone who is trying to create a stronger Geoaching community where they live seems to go against everything that I have learned to enjoy about this sport.

This event hurts noone, and can benifit the overall cause a great deal. I just shake my head over the fuss of one little event.

Thanx you seem to know where I'm coming from