Bringing Knives?

Birdsong-n-Bud

I am reading through some old threads about what to bring Geocaching. We have a fanny pack and have had some items that we don't leave home without. I loved the idea of antibacterial stuff for poison ivy oil removal. Very clever! We'll add that.

I notice that many folks listed pocket knives or other related sharp objects they bring. I can see the importance of this for camping-like caches, but for a day trip, what is the knife used for? <_<

I carry a small pocket knife everyday and I use it quite often.

In terms of geocaching I would recommend carrying at least a multi-use tool. It doesn't have to be the plier style shown above, they also have the pocket knife style with can opener, screwdriver, etc.

The reason to carry one is to 'be prepared'. (You never know when you might need to make a pointed stick. <_< )

Edited by Elf Danach

To sharpen pencils.

To make kindling for a small fire to cook your lunch when you got distracted by catching a 20" trout.

To bring home a wasp nest you found.

To cut string.

To cut open that dadgum package of batteries.

To dig out that sliver.

To cut the insulation off a wire before you re-attach it so you can drive home.

To use as a prybar.

To use as a screwdriver.

To dig the gum out of your shoes before you get back in your car.

To loan to the people who didn't think to brink a pocket knife.

I don't go to church without a pocket knife.

now THAT is interesting.

I carry a small one with my nail clippers all the time. You never know when you might need one. I use mine all the time. It also comes in handy sometimes for removing caches from small or tight areas.

The small leatherman tools are great too. I carry on of those in my belt pack - I wear mine in the front not on my fanny.

Edited by CompuCash

"Walk softly and carry a big sti....umm KNIFE!"

Never know when you may have to fend off a croc mate. Or bears in North America. Wrestlin large critters requires the persuassion of a sharp object sometimes.

Seriously, I carry a knife and a multi-tool on me at all times, mainly for work, but they do come in very handy for many things (or I wouldn't carry them). RK's list is a good start and very representative of common uses or needs for them.

You have to be like MacGyver when in the woods caching, you never saw the Mac w/o a knife did you? There you have it then!

Cheers and have fun...

PJ

You never know when you're going to get your arm stuck between a rock and a hard place...

Um... <_<

Good Lord! Now that is scarey? Remember that hiker?

I think the idea of removing the gum from the shoes before re-entering the car was enough to convince me to bring one. Not to mention the pencil sharpener. Who'da thunk? (We stick retractable pencils in our caches just in case the points go dull, but most have regular pencils).

Thanks everyone! Loved the great lists. That leatherman thing was pretty frightening. Not so sure I can go there yet, lol.

For all the reasons that Renegade Knight said, especially to lend to people who don't have one. I've carried a Swiss Army Knife on my keychain since I started carrying keys. I find I use it constantly and I also find that I'm frequently asked by co-workers, family members and anybody who knows I have one to borrow my knife.

Added reasons. To open my can of tuna, or sardines for lunch. To cut the end off my cigar and to open a beer after a day of geocaching.

Besides a knife, one should always carry 10 essentials recommended by The mountaineers

The Ten Essential Systems

The following list is made up of items that everyone who ventures onto a trail or into the backcountry should have. You could add more, possibly, but these are the basics.

1. Navigation (map and compass)

2. Sun protection

3. Insulation (extra clothing)

4. Illumination (flashlight/headlamp)

5. First-aid supplies

6. Fire

7. Repair kit and tools

8. Nutrition (extra food)

9. Hydration (extra water)

10. Emergency shelter

You never know when you may have to spend the night in the woods...as The Boy Scouts taught me and someone on this thread already mentioned...Be Prepared!

DC

Reason's that i'm glad I had my knife and/or multi tool with me:

1. You can't get that darn rusted altoids tin open without prying it open with the handy flathead screwdriver blade. Note to everybody- Altoids tins don't make good cache containers!

2. Your wife slides into a cactus and you have to use the pliars to pull the needles out. Then you use the tweezers supplied by your swiss army knife

3. Sharpen pencils

4. Slice fruit for a snack for those really long hikes

5. Can openers are nice to have around, might as well be attached to a pair of pliars , knife, scissors, screwdriver, awl, file, saw.....etc.

6. wittle kindling for a fire

7. Every now and then I find a nice sized sappling that gets cut down for a new walking stick

The list goes on and on, but what it comes down to is when have you ever regretted buying a tool? It will get used at some point and time and when you have it will be glad that you did.

Just in case I need to stab somebody in order to get to the CACHE!!!!!!!!!!

jk...

Why would you be shocked at somebody carrying a knife?

Its not like these are cleavers or something....

LOL

No, I"m not shocked, actually, just trying to pare down to the bare minumum while caching and couldn't imagine what I wasn't considering by taking a knife. I usually take way too much as it is, it seems:

* GPSr

* a big honkin' compas

* digital camera

* fanny pack with: 6 AA batteries, 2 flashlights, our signature coins and multitude of coins, pen, my keys (a feat in itself),

* sometimes binoculars for the birdwatching

* sometimes a field guide

* Paper print-out of the cache (the most annoying thing to carry -- am going to use the great idea I got on these forums and put it into a sheet protector and carry it w/ a caribeaner on my belt)

* cell phone

* the pile of travel bugs we want to transfer

* my son (whose personal rule limits him to one carrying item at a time) B)

* tick remover, antibiotic ointment

I used to carry one of those multi-purpose knives on my keychain, until I started working in a school and they have a "no weapons" policy that includes pocket knives. In the 10 years I carried it, I never used the knife part. What I did find useful was the nail file and especially the tiny scissors. Girl stuff, y'know?

I do a ton of birding (birdwatching in the field), but have never come across the sudden desire to have a pocket knife. Should I start to smoke cigars, however, they might come in handy. <grin>

I really enjoyed this thread, and I thank you all for your extremely creative and fun thoughts!

I need to know when someone will incorporate a pen into one of these multi-purposed gadgets. Now THAT would be used practically daily by me.

This is a great group....love the enthusiasm!

A friend told me about the time that he was in the Welsh hills and came across a sheep with its head tangled in a wire fence. Luckily he had his Leatherman PST and was able to rescue the beast by cutting the fence wire. The sheep had looked terrified on seeing my friend approaching!!

About a year ago I though that I had found myself in a similar situation in Shetland. I staggered and slipped down a hill, almost falling over. By the time that I got to the sheep it just pulled its head out of the fence and wandered off. I had been absolutely convinced that it was stuck.

My attempts to show off to the new girlfriend was wasted completely. At 43 I should have known better!!

I carry a knife with me whether im caching or not, never know when you might need it for small tasks like cutting wire or sharpening a pencil, or stabbing a robber, etc...

I've carried a pocket knife all my life. I think all farm boys do. But, it's changed a lot. When I was a boy I had a three blade Case. Back then Case made some of the best knives.

For about 35 years I carried a small single blade Kershaw with a rosewood inlayed handle. It was my all-time favorite pocket knife, but I lost it a couple of years ago and they’ve discontinued the model. Today I carry a small Spyderco with a fiberglass reinforced nylon handle. It very small and feather light. The only way I could use if for defense would be if the attacker died laughing when I pulled it out.

Apparently few people carry knives anymore so, as someone mentioned, people learn you have one and are endlessly turning to you to borrow it for any of a multitude of uses.

The only thing I can remember using it for caching is to sharpen cache pencils. The only pencil sharpeners when I was a kid were in school so you got good a sharpening pencils. B)

Here's my Spyderco, except mine has a black handle

JFG_M.jpg

Gosh it's fun to reminisce B)

Edited by Thot
...For about 35 years I carried a small single blade Kershaw with a rosewood inlayed handle. It was my all-time favorite pocket knife, but I lost it a couple of years ago and they’ve discontinued the model...

My favorite pocket knife was also a Kershaw. All stainless, I kept to so long I had honed most of the curve out of the blade. Then it's time was up and I lost it , they had quit making the model. Now I alternate between a Black rubber covered Kershaw and a switch blade by Piranha Knife Co. Both gifts. The switch blade is legal in Idaho because it’s made in Idaho or so I’m told. I can’t travel with it though.

"Walk softly and carry a big sti....umm KNIFE!"

Why does everybody misquote Teddy Roosevelt? To WALK softly would imply sneaking up on somebody to hit them from behind. What he said was SPEAK softly but carry a big stick--in other words, try diplomacy before using force...

THANK YOU!

Umm, we're talking about caching here -- in which case you sort of are sneeking up on something -- NOT diplomatic dealings! sheesh

I don't care what Teddy R said, or how he said it, or why he said it, or what your problem is with it. GET A LIFE!

I was being silly and playing off an old 70's cartoon. Or do you lack in the ability to process that? For crying aloud (holding my tongue severly there) lighten up.

Have you two nothing better to do than to sit here and find some small joke that someone was implying and pick on it? Or is this your troll impersonations?

Thanks for your special talents. Sarcasm is such a peacemaker isn't it? I hope you both feel proud of yourselves.

PJ B) *shaking head*

My knife of choice

C07_M.jpg

As far as uses there are so many obvious ones such as opening packages, assisting in build shelters if you get stuck/caught in a secluded area, peeling apples for finicky kids/tagalongs, whittling while the tagalongs search for the cache in the totally wrong spot, cutting free from barb wire.

Less likely but still possible are the minor surgical/first aid, major surgical/first aid(see the book "Between a Rock and a Hard Place"), cutting of seatbelts to free trapped crash victims, protection (others and animals).

I need to know when someone will incorporate a pen into one of these multi-purposed gadgets. Now THAT would be used practically daily by me.

They already do. In fact several models have pens including this very neat Swiss Army Card which fits in your wallet.

Heck, they even make a SAK now with a removable USB memory stick. Now thats cool!

now thats cool, a usb flash drive in a knife... although i bet that mades it kinda bulky. i have one on my keychain...

Sandisk Cruzer Micro 128

doesnt really relate to caching, but cool for us gadget people. B)

i also find myself using my knife alot to cut straws. when i goty a place with my kids and they have 12" straws for the kinds 4" tall cup, i just "snip the tip" of the straw. and what i meant to say earlier was cut rope not wire.. you would be so surprised how useful a serrated edge is!!

Before all the knife people get out of hand...

Carry what you need specific to the type of cache you're going out hunting. There was a really good article about it being okay to always have a full cache pack with you, but if you're going to get a micro in a walmart parking lot chances are you can leave the pack in the car.

As in, be prepared for whatever type of cache, but when you go to hop out of your car and know you're only 100 feet away, you'll know how much stuff you'll need.

I have many knives, including a few I made myself, and I always have a knife with me, except when I have to fly on a commercial flight. I think it's stupid that they won't let me carry my mini Bucklite, which has a blade almost an inch long. I don't usually get a knife specifically to go geocaching, because I always have one. I use it for all sorts of things, and keep it sharp so it doesn't cut me. A dull knife is much more dangerous than a sharp one.

My knife of choice

C07_M.jpg

As far as uses there are so many obvious ones such as opening packages, assisting in build shelters if you get stuck/caught in a secluded area, peeling apples for finicky kids/tagalongs, whittling while the tagalongs search for the cache in the totally wrong spot, cutting free from barb wire.

Less likely but still possible are the minor surgical/first aid, major surgical/first aid(see the book "Between a Rock and a Hard Place"), cutting of seatbelts to free trapped crash victims, protection (others and animals).

I have one of those in my pocket right now!

I have carried a folding knife ever since Aircrew Survival Training back in 1987.

Multi tool are great for geocaching, Not only to shapren a pencil, but I have used the pliers in mine from time to time to grab a micro from a tight spot.

But I seem to have lost my leatherman tool, I saw some of the new ones that are comming out for christmass, I will put off my purchase util then.

The new Wave is pretty spiffy.

I am leaning toward the Gharge XTi

http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/c...XTi/default.asp