Please Be Careful When Geocaching

bikepolice

Having assisted with a "MAN WITH A GUN" call today, I wanted to let everyone know what happened.

A non-cacher observed a subject, possibly taking a gun in and out of his jacket, on a walking path next to an elementary school.

The call was broadcast as a Suspicious Subject with a GUN. The elementary school was placed into LOCKDOWN mode and officers from the local jurisdiction as well as yours truly, who happened to be nearby and heard the call go out, responded to the park.

Once a patrol officer located the person who had seen the 'subject with a gun' the information was updated that there 'WAS NO GUN SEEN' but it was a shiny object that he kept taking out of his pocket and looking at it.

Having spent quite some time geocaching in this very same park, I had a good idea that our "man with a gun" was actually a geocacher.

This information was broadcast to the other officers, but as I'm sure everyone can understand, law enforcement can't go off of assumptions, until we find the person and verify it.

We did not locate the subject and after checking the entire park, the school was taken out of Lockdown and the officers cleared the scene.

There have been several Informational Bulletins on Geocaching to law enforcement, many of us geocache as well, but still, please be aware of your actions in todays Post 9-11 life.

In my humble opinion, maybe it's better to just hold your GPSr in your hand, instead of hiding it in your pocket (which I've done many times in the past). People see what they want to see, not what's really there. I've proven that many times having handle calls based upon what people thought they saw.

And as I'm sure everyone knows, please please please be very aware of how you could be viewed and/or treated by Law Enforcement if contacted. Even though I'm a geocacher and in my mind figured it was someone caching, I can't take the chance when I'm contacting a subject matching the description of a subject reported to 'have a gun'. My family would be very upset with me if i got shot, is my motto.

Thanks everyone! As a non-poster and typical lurker, I appreciate your providing me the time to remind everyone about this.

I'm also sending some NEW informational bulletins out to the local agencies involved on this call (Roseville, CA area).

Oh I've sent them an email prior to posting this. Not sure if it was him/her, but as I said in the email to that person, they didn't do anything wrong.

The caller added a little information, which is typical to most calls that are received by police dispatch.

I merely wanted to make sure that everyone out there gets a 'friendly reminder' about how our actions appear to non-geocachers.

Furthermore, a reminder that we (Law Enforcement) have to react to the information that we're given. I.E. I really didn't want to have to detain someone out having a good time caching and search him for a gun.

unfortunately, I'm not sure if there is a way to be stealthy and not look suspicious. After I handled this call today, I thought about how I've looked and realize that some of my actions could be misinterpreted as well.

Best bet, don't hide your GPSr, most people won't know what it is, but at least there's something in your hand instead of taking "something" out of your pocket.

It's a very fine line, and i'm sure there have been and will be suspicious persons calls about geocachers. Law enforcement is becoming more and more aware of what geocaching is and understand it. If not participates in it.

And lastly, be prepared to be contacted by the cops. You're not doing anything wrong and they'll ask you a few questions and off you go and everyone's happy. And please please please, for everyone's sake, remember cops really like to see your hands...it's makes our life soooooo much easier <_<:lol:

I often geocache at night, alone or in groups, and it's a rare night I don't get checked out by the cops...last night by Birmingham City and tonight be a County Deputy Sheriff.

I expect I have been stopped 20+ times in 9 states this year - in every case they simply wanted to know what I was doing, made sure I was sober, learned something about geocaching and went on their way.

Only once were we chased out of a city's parks, which were clearly marked as being closed at sunset.

Once my car was searched, but afterwards we talked geocaching and he lightened up and at least acted interested.

Just keep in mind that the cop is your friend - he may have an attitude - he's got a tough job, but if you are friendly and honest about what you are up to he's gonna let you go on about your business - and may even discover an interest in geocaching if you explain the game!

Have fun,

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Thanks for the heads up. Many times I've been in parks and woody areas geocaching and thought to myself. I must really look like a looney crawling around in the bushes and playing with trees.....<_< Not to mention the times there were kids around and no adults to be seen. Not that I want the attention, but it bothers me that I've never been questioned once. I"ve had people walk by and give me a quizical look and when that happens I'll explain to them what I'm doing and what geocaching is all about. It's good to see various law enforcement agencies knowing about geocaching. I hope I have that luck if I ever get stopped and questioned.

I finally tried the "GPSr as phone" move this week when a muggle approached. He looked at me funny, as I couldn't bring myself to talk to my GPS unit, so I was just standing there with a "phone" to my ear not talking. But he didn't seem too interested.

Then I worried about what kind of radiation I was getting by sticking my GPSr to my head for an extended period of time... but at least it worked! No suspicion, hands visible.

I thought it was frowned upon to place caches near schools. Or is it just close enough that the police wanted to take the precautions?

I agree you have to be somewhat stealthy when you're getting the cache so people don't see something is hidden there, but I don't see a reason for it while you're walking to it. I act like I'm going something offical. Making a point to look at my GPS often and then look around. Like I'm there to find a light pole of a certain number or something. If you're in a public area you have as much right to be there as anyone else. Why try to act like you're not doing anything and look suspicious in the process? On top of that I've talked to other caches around this area and with caches in busy areas being confident is even more important. We just act like we're doing what we're supposed to be and go after micros with people passing by. In a big city people like to keep to themselves and don't care what you're up to.

Then I worried about what kind of radiation I was getting by sticking my GPSr to my head for an extended period of time... but at least it worked! No suspicion, hands visible.

If this is not a joke . . .

A whole lot less than using a cell phone. Although all comercial quality receivers emit some extraneous (sp?) radiation, it is by FCC regulations very low level, much less that that of a cell phone.

Don't worry about your GPSr.

Cache Well.

If it is, then just

Cache Well.

The MOST important thing is to be honest! If you are asked *what are you doing?* tell exactly what you're doing.

Police Officers have RADAR (that they have learned through years of life experience) and they know when you are being truthfull ( or evasive).

The same goes for the general public.... I'll stop there

D.

Thanks, the cache reviewers now have yet another story to point to the next time we receive abusive e-mails for even daring to question the placement of a cache on school grounds. Just in the past week, when raising "bomb threat" or "suspicious person" concerns about an ammo can hidden near a school, one of my fellow volunteers was accused of having a "very overactive imagination," and a "warped sense of humor" for constructing "a bizarre scenario." Sort of like the scenario described in this thread.

Thanks, the cache reviewers now have yet another story to point to the next time we receive abusive e-mails for even daring to question the placement of a cache on school grounds.  Just in the past week, when raising "bomb threat" or "suspicious person" concerns about an ammo can hidden near a school, one of my fellow volunteers was accused of having a "very overactive imagination," and a "warped sense of humor" for constructing "a bizarre scenario."  Sort of like the scenario described in this thread.

What's truly funny about this is that if a school allows it's lands to be used for non school recreational purposes (almost always after hours) they recieve special consideration/protection for certain federal actions.

If a school allows it's lands to be used as a recreational facility I for one think that geocaching is fair game. The key is the limited time they allow it. It's always after hours. Schools in general have a de-facto non essiential acces ban during normal school hours. Where I've placed caches near schools I've made a special note about the hours specifically because I don't want finders poking around when the kids are in class for exactly the reasons mentioned.

Edit: Where schools do allow recreational use after hours if geocachers don't honor that caching will be specificaly banned by the schools soon enough. One other thing and the reason I've never put a cache on school grounds. Those kids are the ultimate at finding things. If it can be found they will find it that that will be that.

Edited by Renegade Knight

There is a sweet little park that I drive by often behind an elementary school. It has a soccer field and basketball court as well as playground equipment. There are two signs clearly stating that the park is only open to the public after 3:30 on weekdays, and all day on weekends. On the weekends we take the dog up there to chase his ball.

I would love to put a small cache there, but a.) someone will hunt it out of the listed hours, and b.) exactly what RK has in his edit. That cache will last a few weeks and be gone.

A few weeks ago I found a cache hidden on some playground equipment. a previous finder noted he was glad to be there early, due to the location and I made sure it was the first stop of my day too. Now before you all cruise my profile and flame me for double talk, I'll admit to owning plenty of high exposure urban micros of my own, but none that actually require you to go somewhere you really have no business being. That's just common sense. <_<

Just one more reason to not go completely paperless. I thik it's a lot easier to explain geocaching to LEO's with a few printouts to show them.

I carry a double sized business card that explains geocaching in a brief way. If I were to be approached by a LEO, I would give him one to take along. Maybe it would start another person playing the game. At the very least, he/she could use it to show other LEOs what may be going on if they see someone walking around with a GPSr in their hand.

Well good news & bad news... the cacher I thought was our guy wasn't the person, but we still know all's good. The cache's aren't necessarily near near the school, they're well away. It's a multi use park and has several walking trails, etc, and is used extensively throughout the day.

The MOST important thing is to be honest! If you are asked *what are you doing?* tell exactly what you're doing.

Police Officers have RADAR (that they have learned through years of life experience) and they know when you are being truthfull ( or evasive).

The same goes for the general public.... I'll stop there

D.

Isn't that the Truth! We do.... and for the most part anyone out Geocaching isn't going to set that off. As most have said, we'll ask a couple questions, maybe check some things and off we'll go.

There are more and more of us LEO's (Law Enforcement Officer's) who are Geocaching now, so it should get better and better for everyone.

Thanks, the cache reviewers now have yet another story to point to the next time we receive abusive e-mails for even daring to question the placement of a cache on school grounds. Just in the past week, when raising "bomb threat" or "suspicious person" concerns about an ammo can hidden near a school, one of my fellow volunteers was accused of having a "very overactive imagination," and a "warped sense of humor" for constructing "a bizarre scenario." Sort of like the scenario described in this thread.

Off the original topic here, but this is soooooo true. I found a cache, Small black pipe, wired to a tree branch. The log had a notation from the nearby Highway Patrol office (State police for those out of CA), commenting about not making the cache look like a bomb.

It in fact did and I'm sure there is a great problem with that.

From having read another thread, there's been several caches that have been blown up after being thought to be IED (improvised explosive devices).

if it's clearly marked on the outside.... the chances it'll get blasted by the bomb dudes is lesser.

This is another reason that these areas should be off limits to caches, even those placed by the school itself.

If a 911 call regarding a suspicious man with a gun (GPSr) gets the school locked down, and causes 20% of the city's police to search the playground and school, then we are obliged to conduct our hobby in a manner that doesn't trigger these kind of false alarms.

If people complain, remind them that they are placing a cache for people to have fun finding. How many of us would find it "fun" to be arrested as the suspect in a man with a gun at the elementary school scenario?

Carry geocaching information cards and the membership card from your local geocaching club. Here is a web site with a brochure and small folding business card for free download at Geocacher-U

People have a right to be suspicious when they see someone tramping around where there would not normally be anyone. Be prepared to identify yourself to other persons and the authorities while geocaching. Imagine if someone was snooping around your house or place of business in a manner like that of a common geocacher? Cache owners need to think about the cache location and more experienced cachers should identify and report new caches that are potential problems.

Finally, stay within the rules of the game and pratice good geocaching etiquette. Carrying out a bag of trash from any location is some of the best PR that I can think of for this sport. Unfortunately, a few bad persons can really spoil it for the rest of us. We need to educate the new geocachers, communicate with the authorities, and share geocaching information with the local press. If we geocachers fail to help each other stay within the guidelines, someone else do it for us.

Edited by bytesnagger

Even in the very short time since I started caching, I have already been in a couple situations where I thought I must look really weird. I know we are supposed to hide our actions from muggles as much as we can, but when I have been "caught" I make no effort to cover it up. I was in a city park a few days ago, and while I was rehiding a cache I found a woman walked by walking her dog. There was no time to cover up what I was doing, and even if I had I would have looked more than a little suspicious and scary by doing so (no maa'm, I'm not hiding body parts, honest!). As she walked by though she said "don't make it too easy to find now, those GPS guys need some kind of a challenge!". So it was a false alarm after all, but still an experience!

When I am geocaching, I actually do not try to hide myself at all. I have my compass around the neck, my backpack on my shoulders and my GPSr in my right hand. I did not geocache in populated area so far where I would only switch to stealth mode <_< when approaching the cache itself (to protect the cache from moggles). Some politics want us to think we are in permanent danger of a so called evil and everything gets suspicious consequently. Unfortunately, some people believe this BS fear strategy and get paranoiac and mentally hill, but I am not ruining my leisure time in becoming Mister Hide because of these psychos. Actually, when someone is wandering weirdly in nowheresland, it can be suspicious. I remember once (10 years ago) when I was taking pictures in a field in France, the cops went to me asking what I was doing. I told them I was practicing my photography skills, they checked my ID and that was it. Being controlled by cops is very frustrating when you expect liberty but it can happen at anytime with any activity. Even if you are just walking in the street your head down and you are colored they might check you out. Therefore I agree with bikepolice, don’t hide it, why would we, it is not illegal.

Edited by geotrouvetout

Not to minimize the seriousness of the situation, but why would anyone take a gun out of their pocket, look at it, and then put it away again repeatedly? It would seem to me that if they had some nefarious intent they would leave the gun hidden until the last moment. (True, most people with such intent are not in their right mind anyway but…) I often take my cell phone out of my pocket and put it away if I think I heard it ring or felt it vibrate, as coat pockets are deep and muffling enough not to hear or feel it.

I have to wonder about the idiot that called this one in. Do the police make any attempt to contact the person and understand or educate them? It’s one thing to be cautious but another to be recklessly paranoid.

Edited by Criminal

I live in a small community where I know all the officers by name. Recently, I noticed that the number of caches in my county has grown to 32. Not huge by any means but enough that I thought it was time to fill in the law on geocaching. I recently posted this message in my local organizations forum:

I've been thinking for some time now that I should do this and I'm

encouraging you to do the same. Knowing that our activity could

sometimes be seen as suspicious and also knowing that caches in my

county are really on the rise, I decided to meet with the local

sheriff and give him the "geo-rundown".

In the day and age that we live in, there are several containers

that could be misconstrued for something dangerous by people who

have no idea what caching is all about. Cachers who don't know that

they are being watched could also been seen as suspicious as they

poke and prod around in the bushes. I just thought it was a good

time to fill in one of the head muggles on geocaching.

It was a great meeting, I took a file with me that contained

information about geocaching, a sample cache page and a printout of

a map that showed where all the caches were in Jasper county. I

also included two pages of pictures that showed different kinds of

cache containers and made sure to include some that could be

questionable by the police (such as PVC pipe caches). Ed (the

Sheriff) thought this was very cool and was very receptive to all

the information.

I told Ed that since geocaching was growing in this area, he might

get a few calls about suspicious people looking around for something

or calls from someone who found what they thought was something

dangerous. Now, Ed and I are friends and go back a long way. He's

also a big fan of DQ cheeseburgers, so it was easy to walk in the

office and fill him in. Even though you may not know your local

officers, I would encourage you to put together a file about

geocaching and share with with your local law enforcement. Ed has a

meeting scheduled with the rest of his officers next week and says

he will be sharing all the information I gave him.

I've kept a copy of everything I put in the file and if anyone would

like to educate someone in there community, just let me know if I

can help. I would be glad to share it.

Scoob

I recently started geocaching. I was very careful on one micro that was behind a shopping center. I was able to park near where I thought the cache would be, I walked to the area without my GPS and I was right on. Most times when I'm in a park I'm just carrying around my GPS, or usually its one of my daughters carrying it. But I tend to think it would be less suspicious carrying in my hand rather than pulling it out of my pocket every few seconds. Not only that but I lose the signal if I put the GPS in my pocket. However, when I get close to the cache I am very careful about who might be around (Like the homeless guy we ran into this weekend at the final stage of a multicache!!)

Looking "out of place" is a sure way to be seen. Look 'normal' and things go unnoticed.

Not only carry the pages, but carry them in a clipboard. Stick the GPS on the clipboard, hold a pen, jot some notes (like things to mention in your log) and wear a shirt fom the local college.

Seriously, if you walk around like you belong there, most people will assume it no matter what you are doing. If you are observed, smile and wave. Act the part of a hard working college student trying to collect information for class, and it's amazing how many people just pass you by.

If confronted, explain Geocaching.

Lets face it, if you are not doing anything illegal, why should you worry about people seeing you? Now seeing the cache pull and rehide is different, but you can deal with that easy enough.

Of course, Dukie is the best cover of all. What could be more unthreatning than a person walking a cute little dog? Why is he searching those woods? Oh, the dog is looking for something or they are playing.

Walk through a residential neighborhood at night and people wonder what you are up to. Walk a dog through a residential neighborhood at night and people think you are a great person for providing that dog with exercise.

If you feel uncomfortable or like a sneak, you will appear as such. If you are out having a good day, you will appear as such. Yes, there will always be the old lady with the spyglass who calls the cops about the UPS man, but the reaction from the local authority will be far less 'agressive'.

Another good cover is that of photographer. Especially in parks and other places that might be of interest. A cheap yardsale tripod over the shoulder and a camera bag will help. Nice roomy place to store the cache stuff. Then use the GPS like a light meter. Get down and look at places as if you are contemplating a shot. Use your eyes more than your feet to try to 'find' the best location.

Use your imagination. A reflective vest and a cheap hardhat would be ignored in a city setting.

I would think you could even act the part of a reclusive street person and be completely ignored as you forage.

why would anyone take a gun out of their pocket, look at it, and then put it away again repeatedly?

I was wondering this myself. Some people are getting paranoid about everything and everyone... and jumping to conclusions, but then again I've seen some pretty weird people in parks. Sometimes rather than trying to be stealth it is better just to act normal.

My GPS doesn't usually work if I put it in my pocket... so I always have it out and I usually press a few buttons while I'm walking... most people think it is a cell phone even if I'm not talking on it.

it's a rare night I don't get checked out by the cops...last night by Birmingham City and tonight be a County Deputy Sheriff.

Geez, Ed -- if you'd quit leaving narcotics laying around, they wouldn't keep such a close eye on you!

After all, you don't stick out in a crowd or anything... right? <_<

Kinda reminds me of a HUGE incident somewhere where a gecacher went out caching...

...arriving in an old pickup...

...wearing a black trenchcoat...

...skulking around near a bridge...

...close to a freakin' MILITARY BASE.

Trenchcoat guy was observed messing with a mysterious box near the bridge. Local media went nuts for awhile.

Now here's what's interesting. What if he had shown up in hardhat and orange reflective vest? No one would care.

Costuming is everything.

From experience: The hardhat vest thing doesn't always work, even in the very close vicinity of current road construction. :blink:

It is my advice that you look like what you are, it’s far easier to explain. If you are confronted in the get-up mentioned, you will have to stutter and lie, and that will look far more suspicious. Just be yourself, the game is not illegal.

Not to minimize the seriousness of the situation, but why would anyone take a gun out of their pocket, look at it, and then put it away again repeatedly? It would seem to me that if they had some nefarious intent they would leave the gun hidden until the last moment. (True, most people with such intent are not in their right mind anyway but…) I often take my cell phone out of my pocket and put it away if I think I heard it ring or felt it vibrate, as coat pockets are deep and muffling enough not to hear or feel it.

I have to wonder about the idiot that called this one in. Do the police make any attempt to contact the person and understand or educate them? It’s one thing to be cautious but another to be recklessly paranoid.

She was contacted and they spoke with her. That was when the initial report of "man with a gun" was changed to a shiny silver object that he took out repeatedly to look at was updated.

Yes, it's quite a different story from the intial report, but everyone, not just cops have a sense that somethings 'just not right' and that's what I believe she acted on.

In today's world, I'd much rather have someone who see's something odd, and calls to report it versus someone seeing something odd, thinking to themselves, "Hmmmm that's odd" and not calling to report it.

It's standard practice to try to get in touch with the 'complainant' and verifying the information, so that we can clarify what is being reported. Unfortunately, in larger cities like mine, our 9-1-1 operators don't have the time to cover every little bit of information.

From experience: The hardhat vest thing doesn't always work, even in the very close vicinity of current road construction. :blink:

It is my advice that you look like what you are, it’s far easier to explain. If you are confronted in the get-up mentioned, you will have to stutter and lie, and that will look far more suspicious. Just be yourself, the game is not illegal.

Absolutely the BEST advice that I've heard. Most people, in my opinion, are going to feel more uncomfortable wearing a hard hat and a vest, than they would walking casually, carrying their GPSr, a notepad and whatever else it is that you carry with you.

Has anyone thought of doing a presentation during one of the police staff meetings on Geocaching? Maybe some members of the local geocaching group could speak with a display (kinda like those science fair boards when you were a kid) showing what caches look like, where they are typically hid and what they usually contain. This will inform the LEOs ahead of time and they won't have to learn about it when questioning someone in th field... Just an idea. :lol:

why would anyone take a gun out of their pocket, look at it, and then put it away again repeatedly?

I was wondering this myself. Some people are getting paranoid about everything and everyone...

Getting paranoid? 30 (Thirty) years ago, my (now ex) husband and I drove to a mall in Lousivlle, KY with his best friend in our convertible. My husband was a carpenter, and had his tool belt with him. Since the convertible roof was down, he decided to lock the tool belt in the trunk of the car. Standard leather apron style toolbelt with hammers hanging off it and screwdrivers in the pckets. A woman getting on a car looked at us oddly, but since both the fellows had long hair, we figured she just didn't like "hippie" types, and ignored her.

As we came out of the mall and turned onto the road we found ourselves surrounded by five police cars, carrying 10 officers all in full riot gear. A very polite officer explained that a woman had telephoned in to say that she had seen him put a gun in the trunk, and he asked if we would allow him to look in the trunk--or offered to allow us to show him a gun permit, if it was indeed a gun. We explained what was in the trunk, so they would be less worried and decided to allow them to see inside the trunk.

It was a very creepy experience to sit in that car with the best friend knowing that there were 9 guns pointed at us (the officer standing by the back of the trunk had his hand on his pistol and the pistol unsnapped, but did not draw his weapon while my ex veeeerrrrry slowly opened the trunk to show the officer the dangerous toolbelt.

(The officers did thank us and apologize for troubling us, etc---after they began beathing normally again).

In comparison, I think the things I have read about geocaches and police response seem tame. Does that mean that we are more complacent now than years ago about odd reports? Maybe. And if so, is that a good thing? Maybe not.

Carry geocaching information cards and the membership card from your local geocaching club. Here is a web site with a brochure and small folding business card for free download at Geocacher-U

We always try to carry a few of these cards with us . That and I suppose We don't look to stealthy because I do not "hide" my gps. I figure that if someone spies the gps chances are really good it is just going to be another geocacher . Granted stealth is needed somewhat in areas where muggles are abundant but I figure that is only in the retreiving and replacing of the cache. If we spot the location and there are muggles about thats when stealth mode kicks in . If we can retreive and replace it without others knowing we have done anything then we go for it , if not its we will come back when there are fewer or no muggles around . It seems like it is all common sense to me.

We geocachers really do also have to take these things into consideration when we place caches . Caches near schools , Military Bases , airports and train stations should probably not be done just for such reasons .

We weather we like it or not are in the times where everyone is panicing about anything and everything , due to the terroist threat. On the other hand I wish that our dear law enforcement officers( well some of them )would use some common sense at times and investigate and issue a bit better before deciding an object needs shot or blown up. :huh: . I really don't mind being questioned , that tells me they are doing there job . Who knows its possible in these times that one day that person with a shiny object that "could be a gun " really turns out to be a gun and someone up to no good .

Star of Team Tigger International