N. California 4x4 Geocachers

amytincan

Is there any organized movement to get and maintain caches on the 4x4 trails? I checked two popular trails, but none actually ON the trail. I know there is some on Rubicon, and maybe Fordyce. I haven't checked ALL the trails yet obviously...lol

I belong to a 4x4 club and we go places every month year round, even in the snow. Only 2 people in our club use GPS in a geeky way (waypoints, maps, etc), two others like to know the elevation. None of them do Geocaching.

I have the book

Northern California Guide to California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails by Charles A. Wells, and his book for each trail has a map, a description of the trail with marks on the map of trail highlights, and the waypoints in the back. It would be fun to have caches on the trails. The point of the trip would be to do the trail but the geocache would be a fun feature.

I noticed another thread on off road geocachers but I don't think they are localized.

We've done a couple in the Sierra that were along 4X4 trails. One was out on Shuteye Peak near the lookout (class III road; and yes, we walked that one). The other was at the start of the Ershim-Dusy Trail (class IV) that runs between Kaiser Pass and Courtright Reservoir. Unfortunately, our little Subaru isn't exactly offroad ready, but we've been known to push the envelope occassionally :lol: .

I don't know of any organized group that caches/4X4's together, but it would be fun to do an Event cache like that. I've heard that a group up in Idaho does some pretty extreme stuff on their annual get together :lol:

well, I didn't exactly mean an event. But to go on Class II, IV, and V you really have to be with a buddy. We travel with an organized group. My hubby and I go out together too, but not on super hard stuff.

Ershim-Dusy Trail (class IV)
I've been on this trail its really a Class V and sometimes harder, its a LOT harder actually. If I had known about geocaching, I could have looked--we came out at White Bark Vista. We plan to go back again next year.

I was thinking about the placement and maintenance of caches. We sometimes only go on trails once per year. And the trail season is really short anyway--prime time in the summer.

I put in the coordinates for the camp areas of Dusy-Ershim, Deer Valley, and Slickrock and didn't come up with anything that I thought was really "on the trail" or a short walk from the camp areas or trail highlights.

I read through some logs and found caches on Fordyce, Rubicon and Barney Riley. The book I mentioned is organized really really well, with major obstacles, kodak moments, etc...It would be an ideal tool to use.

PS. we're going on Slickrock Trail November 13 if anybody wants to go with. You need to have necessary safety equipment. Trail is rated "difficult" Book says "The first part of the trail is moderate and suitable for the aggressive stock SUVs. THe last part has some challenging hardcore obstavles. A good driver in a season SUV can probably get through OK.

There is one on Fordyce, I got FTF on that one and I'm not ashamed to brag about it. :lol::lol: Next year there may be another one, if I can ride along or if my Cruiser comes together. I'm accepting donations if you really want another cache up there you can help. :D

There are three along the Rubicon. (One is mine <_<.)

There is one on the Barney Riely Trail

There is one at Barrett Lake.

Here in Northern Nevada there a mess of caches that are basically "offroad". The old state route from Lockwood to Virginia City has a cache every few miles. The Jumbo Grade trail has a few caches. Then there are the caches on Goni Road. These are all moderate trails, in good weather.

There are also a few along the old pony express route east of Fernley. Last spring GBES geocachers did a geocaching navigational rally in that area. What a hoot that was. Not real technical stuff but a lot of fun.

I've seen some geocaching/offroad get-togethers and there are caches on some trails, but I think a lot of time the maintenance is an issue. If you are going to have a period of a few months where you can't get to the cache, you'll have a tough time getting it approved I would think.

If I remember right, Camp Jeep in Santa Barbara earlier this year had a geocaching run of some sort.

You should be able to work some geocaching into one of the CA4WDC or other group's SUV runs as well. I'm planning to do the Lost Coast run next year and I'll definitely be scouring the site for good caches in the area.

I think if you poke around on the cache maps up in the Sierras and so on you'll find many that are on offroad trails, just not so much on the big famous ones. I was curious to see if there were any on the Copper Mountain loop trail (by Mono Lake) and while there weren't any on that trail, there were at least three others nearby that needed a 4x4.

Rusty

Next year there may be another one, if I can ride along or if my Cruiser comes together. I'm accepting donations if you really want another cache up there you can help.
Is it broken? I would really like to place a cache on deer valley. Of course, I would like to find a cache instead, but if there aren't any where I'm going??? For donations what do you mean? I think a cache on a 4x4 trail would need at least 2 or even 3 people to help maintain it.

I wonder though if more 4x4 people would enjoy caches on a trail. The club is planning their runs for the year. I don't know how many people go on club runs, but its so much easier actually getting out the door when other people are going too.

I hope to go on Barrett Lake, we cancelled that run this summer and went to Gold Lake instead. Runs I've been on are Bodie (boring) Rubicon, Dusy-Ershim, and runs I've driven on are Niagara Rim, Gold Lake (snake lake loop), Deer Valley, Sand Canyon and Wheeler Ridge, and Pardoe (morman immigrant)

We have 2 jeeps. His and Hers.

If 2 or 3 people helped to place the cache in the spring, and then they could either take turns maintaining it or work around their scheduled club runs.

Absolutely. You should be able to work something out, you just have to convince the admins (not me) that you're not violating the rules against vacation/distant caches and that you're also able to check on it within a few weeks if needed.

If you read those restrictions, you'll see how you may have a tough challenge getting the cache approved since you're something like 170 miles away and have one find and own no other caches. They'll listen to exceptions though, just make sure you've got a good cache support plan in place or it won't happen.

None of which should discourage you from trying. I'd always like to have caches available to find when I go 'wheeling. Good luck!!

how did the other caches get approved? Like on the Rubicon or Barret Lake? Or Barney Riley, were these local cachers?

There's got to be a way...

Likely there are locals involved or some other arrangement. It definitely is possible because it's been done.

You could always ask the owners of those caches, like rusty_tlc there... Or just contact an admin via email and discuss it with that person. Find out what they would/would not consider acceptable. Should be simple enough, then you just have to meet their requirements.

People who run into problems with getting vacation/distant caches approved can often find a local geocacher who's willing to lend a hand if needed.

I don't think the maintainence part of placing a cache should be much of an issue in your situation. Sounds like you do a fair amount of offroading so you are capable of checking on them occassionally. Certainly the ones I mentioned before are seasonal, but they seem to be checked on at least once a year (like the White Bark Vista one). Of course, there probably won't be much to worry about with caches way back in the boonies as long as the container is pretty rugged. Like TN says, it's the Approver you have to convince. I think it helps if you've done a majority of the sorrounding caches to at least give the appearance that you're familiar with the area. Oh, and please, no micros in the woods <_<

I would suggest maybe in the cache description mention who else maintains the cache so that it shows that someone can maintain it. Have the other people set it on the watch list and shouldn't be an issue.

I think mixing wheeling and caching is a good thing. Gives a whole new meaning to drive up.

Rusty
Next year there may be another one, if I can ride along or if my Cruiser comes together. I'm accepting donations if you really want another cache up there you can help.
Is it broken? I would really like to place a cache on deer valley. Of course, I would like to find a cache instead, but if there aren't any where I'm going??? For donations what do you mean? I think a cache on a 4x4 trail would need at least 2 or even 3 people to help maintain it.

I wonder though if more 4x4 people would enjoy caches on a trail. The club is planning their runs for the year. I don't know how many people go on club runs, but its so much easier actually getting out the door when other people are going too.

I hope to go on Barrett Lake, we cancelled that run this summer and went to Gold Lake instead. Runs I've been on are Bodie (boring) Rubicon, Dusy-Ershim, and runs I've driven on are Niagara Rim, Gold Lake (snake lake loop), Deer Valley, Sand Canyon and Wheeler Ridge, and Pardoe (morman immigrant)

We have 2 jeeps. His and Hers.

Not broken, just needs some modifications to take on Fordyce. I need to do a spring over conversion, add a second transfer case, power steering, 35" MTR's, and maybe high steer. If you are interested in subsidising my hobby I can work out arrangements for donations. <_<

how did the other caches get approved?  Like on the Rubicon or Barret Lake? Or Barney Riley, were these local cachers?

Likely there are locals involved or some other arrangement. It definitely is possible because it's been done.

You could always ask the owners of those caches, like rusty_tlc there... Or just contact an admin via email and discuss it with that person. Find out what they would/would not consider acceptable. Should be simple enough, then you just have to meet their requirements.

People who run into problems with getting vacation/distant caches approved can often find a local geocacher who's willing to lend a hand if needed.

I didn't have any problems with approval. I did e-mail my approver with general coordinates for the area I was planning to lace the cache before I placed asking if there would be any problem with getting the cache approved. In general I think remote or difficult access caches don't need as much maintainence so accesability isn't as large an issue. If you read the logs you'l see most of the caches mentioned have only one or two visitors a year.

I would suggest maybe in the cache description mention who else maintains the cache so that it shows that someone can maintain it. Have the other people set it on the watch list and shouldn't be an issue.

I think mixing wheeling and caching is a good thing. Gives a whole new meaning to drive up.

Are going to try Buck Island again now that I have the coordinates correct? <_<

This time of year it can vary so much with snow and could be dangerous if not properly equipped. I'd love to do a hike in from Loon Lake soon, but I know myself and I'll wait till next spring.

I can honestly say that my trip was the best "did not find" log ever. The coordinate mix up was no biggie, although what do I expect from a guy who drives a Cruiser anyways?!? :blink:

Will people, I know who can take you to those places! Off-Road experience operates in CA & Northern NV...

In fact, they have waypoint in and around Northern NV, near Virginia City even! They even have a geo/4x4 event on Dec 11 in Lovelock (NV) area!

edited to remove commercial information

Edited by CO Admin
why are you calling it a heep?  are you teasing me? at least mine is running.

It's a term of affection used by Cruiser heads. :huh:

Mine runs, I drive it to work most days. I just want it to do more.

What kind of total reduction will you get with a 4:1 t-case?

If I can swing the Marlin 4.7:1 toy box I'll have something like 143:1 reduction.

Edited by rusty_tlc

you know what rusty, I have no idea. My DH has the 4:1 in his, and he can go down a very very steep rock without brakes. His granny is so low, my granny could go faster uphill in a wheelchair.

I have an automatic transmission, which isn't as FUN, but it works just fine. But, it just doesn't crawl.......and I have to ride the brakes down hill. Plus, I can't go so fast on the freeway, I have to watch what I do or I'll break it.

you know what rusty, I have no idea. My DH has the 4:1 in his, and he can go down a very very steep rock without brakes. His granny is so low, my granny could go faster uphill in a wheelchair.

I have an automatic transmission, which isn't as FUN, but it works just fine. But, it just doesn't crawl.......and I have to ride the brakes down hill. Plus, I can't go so fast on the freeway, I have to watch what I do or I'll break it.

We do it a little different in cruisers, instead of re-gearing the t-case we add another case between the tranny and the existing t-case. Well that's what I've seen most anyway.

In this setup, the gearing is as follows: Transmission:  6.55:1, ToyBox:  2.28:1, Transfercase: 1.96:1 This particular drive train was installed into a FJ40 with 4.88:1 differential gearing.

The end result is 3 low range crawl ratios:

* Using Just the T/case:  63:1

* Using Just the ToyBox:  73:1

* Using Both Low Ranges: 143:1

Re-reading this I realize I would actually have a 294.8:1 reduction with the 4.7:1 toy box.

how did the other caches get approved? Like on the Rubicon or Barret Lake? Or Barney Riley, were these local cachers?

I have a friend up in the Bay Area that placed a few caches up in the vacinity Pardoe's trail, Deer Valley and a few others. He makes trips up there all the time so it was approved on that basis.

Similar problems out here on the coast. I've placed two 4x caches in our area and each has been found only once...and neither time by locals. Thought I might put one in the Sierra by Coyote Lake (one of our "regular" spots), but discovered there was already one down the trail at Red Mountain! Could've added to the area, but opted not to. I like the idea of a 4x4 cache event (or just a buncha folks headed out to cachex4)!

show stop. was it Mike Ross of the TTORA ? I've met him at Deer Valley.

Yup, thats the guy. He was also the one that got me hooked on Geocaching. Our 4x4 club was up at Lake Tahoe in July and I got the chance to do some caching in the area while I was there. I wish I wasn't 9hrs away or I would head up there more often. Our So-Cal chapter of TTORA will be out in Joshua Tree this weekend and I'll be hiding a few caches as well as finding a few.

At the Land Cruiser Club meeting last night wew were talking about doing Barret Lake trail as a fall run next year. Given our location we were thinking it would needs be an overnighter. Anybody have first hand experience of how long it takes to do the trail with a group of say five or six rigs?

We picked up Xmas tree permits Friday for Plumas. Looks like 4X will be needed after the snow we got yesterday. I'm hoping it will be dried out a little by next Sat. since the goal is to get trees for my sister and my families. We all cache but there are no caches left up there for us, we may have to set one out. :lol: