Flaymed Or Flammed?

SixDogTeam

The term "Flame" is used in the forums to mean to disagree with somebody. I always thought it meant, like to shoot somebody's argument down in flames--but am I way off base? The reason I ask, is , the local radio DJ just used the term, the first time I've seen it outside these forums, and he used it twice to describe one political debate candidate's treatment of another-- But he pronounced it "Flammed" rhyming with "Spammed" --Is he wrong or am I not understanding the term? so, how do you pronounce it and what is the derivation? And PLEASE, don't flame me. B)

Maybe the DJ was using the term Flam as is in "Flim Flam", or "Flim Flammed" meaning scam or sammed?

nah, now I'm sure he was just mispronouncing our word--now come to think of it, they were mis-using it also, since Jeremy indicates the word refers to e-mails and forums...The whole thing was wierd, since the lady doing the flaming was flaming an incumbant congressman, then she got flustered and left the stage twice, from severe stage fright, and the TV station never aired the debate... But I think after that she went out to the woods to calm herself and went GEOCACHi :lol: NG!!

they were mis-using it also, since Jeremy indicates the word refers to e-mails and forums...

Sort of. The origins come from newsgroups, but it has been adapted to mean attacking someone through words in other areas. Nowadays you can use the word flame in a political campaign, instead of, say, smear.

Flam is also a desert -

OH! NO! that's flan - :lol:

I think you are right - and that disubs me no end here on our tv news - they are just reading - or misreading - and have no idea what they are saying or talking about.

:lol:

also applies to the political debate as well! :lol:

they were mis-using it also, since Jeremy indicates the word refers to e-mails and forums...

Sort of. The origins come from newsgroups, but it has been adapted to mean attacking someone through words in other areas. Nowadays you can use the word flame in a political campaign, instead of, say, smear.

This is true. The word has grown beyond it's original roots as it has come into general usage.

The latest word that has me scratching my head is bling bling.

It's amazing how many of our English words have devolved and the original meaning is lost. I think it all starts out by mispronouncing the word.

For example in my neck of the woods, people say “traffic jam, better take a different ROOT” instead of “rout”. So now do people visualize a route as the roots of a tree instead of a pathway that you travel through? And eventually a route dissolves and become a root.

Another example is “moot”. I hear people say “the point is MUTE”, which can also make sense like roots instead of routes, but the word becomes lost and it's meaning changed all by mispronouncing probably from mishearing.

We should replace the word swag in geo-speak with bling-bling

Someone please take this rope off from around my neck..... :lol:

Back in HS, we used to use the term "torched" for the same meaning as "Flamed"

Does that mean we where ahead of our times, or behind them???

Maybe the DJ was using the term Flam as is in "Flim Flam", or "Flim Flammed" meaning scam or sammed?

nah, now I'm sure he was just mispronouncing our word--now come to think of it, they were mis-using it also, since Jeremy indicates the word refers to e-mails and forums...The whole thing was wierd, since the lady doing the flaming was flaming an incumbant congressman, then she got flustered and left the stage twice, from severe stage fright, and the TV station never aired the debate... But I think after that she went out to the woods to calm herself and went GEOCACHi :lol: NG!!

I saw that on the news. Not the flaming, the lady getting up and leaving the debate with Souder, twice.

In reply to BeeBot:

I agree that the language we speak is changing. I see our language as a fluid thing, constantly mutating. We no longer use the same spelling rules as the writers of our Constitution did, and the meaning of words evolve through common usage.

Most people write and speak what they hear.

My mother has a hearing problem, and she has mispronounced some words for so long that it is kind of like knowing a second language for me. Vafume for vacuum, baining for bathing. No one told her that is was incorrect, for fear of hurting her feelings. Recently, she confided that she had spoken to someone else with a hearing loss, and she hoped that was not what she sounded like. We had a nice talk about it and she was surprisingly open to practicing some of her worst words.

Mispronounciation also comes when a person reads a larger vocabulary than he hears. For years I thought it was 'guess-ture', not jesture (gesture) and in-E-vetible. CR still delights with my struggle for pal-ah-table (palatable).

One hundred years from now, most of us will not recognize many parts of our own language. (if we are living to hear it! :lol: )

Sissy

I saw that on the news.  Not the flaming, the lady getting up and leaving the debate with Souder, twice.

Why would that be on an Ohio TV station? The novelty of it? Oh, and hey, Pip whats with the new tractor avatar? :lol: I like to cache hunt with my little dog.

No, not an Ohio station. I live close enough to Fort Wayne, that those are the stations we get here. Ask me if I'm happy that they delay broadcasting by an hour, since Indiana doesn't observe DST? Go ahead, just ask me!!! :lol:

The tractor avatar came about in Cheers, as a welcome back for tirediron. He's been out at sea for awhile and got back today.

Ask me if I'm happy that they delay broadcasting by an hour, since Indiana doesn't observe DST? Go ahead, just ask me!!! :lol:

We don't need no stinkin' daylight savin'. Sides, the cows don't get it, and whine about being milked at a different time...It's too durn complicated!! Nice tractor.

GEOcaching is fun. :lol:

Flamage = bad!! Are you going to call up and flame that DJ?

I think bling bling is one my new favorite phrases, and I like the idea of calling swag bling bling. Or just singular bling. It's ridiculous.

And now girls are wearing the phrase on the seats of their pants. Even more ridiculous.

The Ding-Dong Daddy was from Dumas, a small town in the western Texas panhandle. Been there, made sure I left nothing worth going back for.

Another corruption that irritates me is using there for their, as in "They left there stuff over here". Not to mention using it for they're. Same thing with your and you're. It's just a lack of education - my English teacher would have a hissy fit if she saw some of the ignorance displayed on the net these days. I'm slowly learning to ignore it.

The Ding-Dong Daddy was from Dumas, a small town in the western Texas panhandle. Been there, made sure I left nothing worth going back for.

Another corruption that irritates me is using there for their, as in "They left there stuff over here". Not to mention using it for they're. Same thing with your and you're. It's just a lack of education - my English teacher would have a hissy fit if she saw some of the ignorance displayed on the net these days. I'm slowly learning to ignore it.

It may not be a lack of education, just a lack of caring enough to truly learn what's been taught. I'm pretty sure there are some students that were in my English class that make those mistakes.

I still maintain it's a lack of education - either through laziness, lack of intelligence, or poor teaching. Most often the first, but I've seen my kids bring home notes from teachers and principals that embarrassed me. The grammar and spelling can be atrocious, and if that's coming from the school, then the kids probably aren't getting proper instruction. Combine all three, and you get some doozies.

This is true. The word has grown beyond it's original roots as it has come into general usage.

The latest word that has me scratching my head is bling bling.

I bought some new glasses with blue frames and rhinestones on the top that have magnetic sunglasses attached. They care called Bling Bling Clips and come with a Pink glass case and they are COOL!!!!

Karen B)