compass?

Project Pardalis

Yep. Especially in the trees. I have a compass in the top of my walking staff, as well as a compass on my pack. They come in handy. There are even some caches out there which require you to use one to find the cache.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

Yes. Unless your GPS has one, you need a compass. In the woods, the GPS doesn't get a great signal and it's hard to move fast in a straight line through the trees. In conditions like these, the pointer on the GPS can lead you astray particularly when you are close to the cache.

I carry a Silver Ranger Ultra. It's overkill for geocaching, but I use it for other things, and rest assured that I have the best and will never need to upgrade.

rdw

I know of many people who swear by their compasses... or was that at their compasses? icon_wink.gif

I've only forgotten my compass on one cache hunt, and it was not my most pleasant experience. I was introducing my mom to geocaching, since she has always wondered what exactly I do out there. I rode with her to a suburban cache, and when we got there, I realized I had left my compass in my car around my gearshift (where I always keep it). It was only a couple hundred feet, but it was much less pleasant than looking down and then taking a bearing, especially at the fork in the trail.

Oh, and as Maj. Keith Hauk said, "A computer with a bullet in it is just a paperweight. A map with a bullet in it is still a map." The same thing applies to a compass... well, how about "A GPS receiver with dead batteries is just a paperweight. A compass with dead batteries is still a compass." (Of course, I'd keep the batteries away from the compass... no point in giving yourself false readings. icon_smile.gif)

I know of many people who swear by their compasses... or was that at their compasses? icon_wink.gif

I've only forgotten my compass on one cache hunt, and it was not my most pleasant experience. I was introducing my mom to geocaching, since she has always wondered what exactly I do out there. I rode with her to a suburban cache, and when we got there, I realized I had left my compass in my car around my gearshift (where I always keep it). It was only a couple hundred feet, but it was much less pleasant than looking down and then taking a bearing, especially at the fork in the trail.

Oh, and as Maj. Keith Hauk said, "A computer with a bullet in it is just a paperweight. A map with a bullet in it is still a map." The same thing applies to a compass... well, how about "A GPS receiver with dead batteries is just a paperweight. A compass with dead batteries is still a compass." (Of course, I'd keep the batteries away from the compass... no point in giving yourself false readings. icon_smile.gif)

I use a Suunto MC-1.

If you buy a compass, make sure you buy one that can be adjusted for magnetic deviation. It's a lot simpler to set the deviation on the compass and always work in true bearings than use a compass with no adjustment, set the GPS to give magnetic bearings, and use magnetic bearings, mostly because most streets and roads are laid out using true bearings.

-Paul

I bring two compass’s with me, a mapping compass with adjustable bearing dial and a $2.99 pin compass (K-mart or Wal-Mart), pin it to my shirt pocket, I like the pin compass because it’s always there when ever I need it. Ever since I started Bow-hunting, I’ve always ware one every time going into the woods.

One thing everyone must remember before heading into the woods, check what direction to get back out before stating in. Compass isn’t any good if you don’t know what direction to go, if your GPS should die in the woods. In addition, on one should ever go into the woods without a compass and knowing how to use one.

icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

I bring two compass’s with me, a mapping compass with adjustable bearing dial and a $2.99 pin compass (K-mart or Wal-Mart), pin it to my shirt pocket, I like the pin compass because it’s always there when ever I need it. Ever since I started Bow-hunting, I’ve always ware one every time going into the woods.

One thing everyone must remember before heading into the woods, check what direction to get back out before stating in. Compass isn’t any good if you don’t know what direction to go, if your GPS should die in the woods. In addition, on one should ever go into the woods without a compass and knowing how to use one.

icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif