GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Thanks. I am looking for a place to record the # of the cache find. The notes will not work for me, as I sometimes like to sort them exactly that way (not just by date). However, I don't want to go through and muck up the User Data field with my dates if I'm going to need it for something else later! Can I add my own column?

Thanks again,

Gayle

No, you would need to use the "user data" column for this. Although sorting by "found by me" date should be pretty close to what you want here.

However, if you did update the user data with your exact found number (use 001, 002, 003 etc to get the sorting correct) this doesn't stop you using it for other codes later on.

Going back to my previous example there is no reason why you couldn't have user data of "005 fun". This would let you sort on your finds, yet still let you add codes for filtering (just need to use the "contains" filter rather than "equals".

I've added a 'Found by me' columnd to the display but it is always blank. Why is that? I've added a 'Found' column and that is correct.

"Found by me" will only work if:

1. Your GSAK database is being updated with GPX files from gc.com (not loc files)

2. You tell GSAK correctly how to match your found logs.

To get item 2 correct make sure you have the "method for matching hidden and found" caches filled out correctly. For more information see the help file or view this section online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs10900.htm

Refered here from the Cachemate thread;

I'm having a problem (which didn't used to happen) getting exports from GSAK to Cachemate to include the past logs. For the record the logs do show up in GSAK and I do select the number of cache logs to convert as 5. Someone suggested they had the same problem and just reinstalled GSAK and it worked, so I tried that and ... no dice.

What am I not thinking of????

-t-

Edited by twilliams
. Some one correct me if I am wrong, but GPSBabel currently does not support URL generation for MPS files.

GPSBabel doesn't support URL generation for MPS files becuase MPS files don't support URLs.

GDB files support URLs but since the two successive versions of Mapsource have different formats for GDB (thanx, Garmin....) it's hopefully easy to understand why we're not chomping at the bit to get on board that train. Until the dust settles (or someone else does the work) GPSBabel won't do GDB.

Hey there Clyde,

Long time again for me not being here but I've been busy? Oh well anyway....

Not sure if this has been talked about before and I did some searching but couldn't find anything...

How about giving us the option to turn off any of the icons on the tool bar that we don't use? I don't use ozi or mapsource or cachemate or some of the others. It would be nice if they didn't "cluter" up the ones I do use....

Thanks

Rosco

Hey there Clyde,

Long time again for me not being here but I've been busy? Oh well anyway....

Not sure if this has been talked about before and I did some searching but couldn't find anything...

How about giving us the option to turn off any of the icons on the tool bar that we don't use? I don't use ozi or mapsource or cachemate or some of the others. It would be nice if they didn't "cluter" up the ones I do use....

Thanks

Rosco

Yep, the next version (out before Christmas) gets a fully customisable tool bar.

Not only that the search bar below it is customisable too (with the addition of a few more drop down boxes). That is, you can select which fields and drop down boxes you want to see, move them to where you would like to position them, and finally size them to suit your needs :lol:

Hi Clyde,

When importing a directory full of zipped gpx files (or loc, for that matter) from gc.com, what determines the order in which GSAK processes the files? Is it the file's date/timestamp, or a sort on the filename, or is it essentially random?

The question arises because I guess it would be important in the following case (or similar):

PQ#1 arrives from gc.com on, say, Nov 1st but is not loaded into GSAK. It contains details of a busy cache.

PQ#2 arrives a week later. Since PQ#1 was generated, there have been 4 new logs for the busy cache.

Add subsequent PQs, if you like, each containing an extra few logs for the cache.

Assume that the PQ zips get saved to the import directory with structured names, e.g.: 2004-11-01 Home Counties.zip, 2004-11-07 Home Counties.zip, 2004-11-14 Home Counties.zip, etc. (and each one contains a file named 123456.gpx). The zips may or may not have a timestamp of their creation date/time at gc.com (depending upon the method used to save the mail attachment).

If the files were processed in non-date order, would some of the logs be ignored/over-looked? The significance of the Database Update Options is bewildering me :lol:

Oh what it is to be a GSAK newbie :lol:

Will there be user defined buttons? I would like to be able to open GPXtoMaplet and GeoCalc from GSAK.

Jim

Yes, currently I have allowed for 10 user defined buttons. These buttons are for macros, and one of the new macro commands is RUNPGM which will run any external program.

When importing a directory full of zipped gpx files (or loc, for that matter) from gc.com, what determines the order in which GSAK processes the files? Is it the file's date/timestamp, or a sort on the filename, or is it essentially random?

As per the help file, it is the file date/time stamp that is used. Files are processed in chronological sequence.

If the files were processed in non-date order, would some of the logs be ignored/over-looked? The significance of the Database Update Options is bewildering me

Ok, I will try to explain. Firstly no matter what order the files are processed you will always get the logs. The order is significant only when something is changed in the cache and/or the logs.

Fore example, If a caches coordinates were changed 2 weeks in a row and you loaded the GPX files out of order, your GSAK database would show the coordinates of the last loaded GPX file which would not be the correct ones (you can protect yourself against this by taking the "newer" update option rather than the "always" update option. (Each GPX file from Groundspeak has a creation date inside the GPX file (regardless of the time stamp of the file), and GSAK uses this to determine if the incomming data is "newer" than what you already have in the database)

Similar situation for the logs. it is only a problem if something for a log has CHANGED in one files loaded out of sequence. If the log does not exiist it will always be added not mater what the loading sequence.

Clear as mud? :lol:

Hope this helps

Edited by ClydeE

As per the help file, it is the file date/time stamp that is used. Files are processed in chronological sequence.

I had read the help file and presumed that would be the case but my eyes tell me otherwise. Noting the gpx filenames as the zips are being processed, they appear to be taken in the order they would be if sorted on the filename of the zip. Assuming you have program control over this behaviour, it would be great if it were user-selectable, i.e. by filename or by date/time stamp.

(Each GPX file from Groundspeak has a creation date inside the GPX file (regardless of the time stamp of the file), and GSAK uses this to determine if the incomming data is "newer" than what you already have in the database)

Just to clarify then, this date comparison is on a cache-by-cache basis, yes? It's not that, if the incoming gpx has a Groundspeak creation date earlier than the latest update date of the database, the whole gpx will be skipped?

Clear as mud?  :lol:

Hope this helps

I do feel sometimes as if I'm as thick as mud! :lol: Yes, it does help a lot. Thanks :(

Just to clarify then, this date comparison is on a cache-by-cache basis, yes? It's not that, if the incoming gpx has a Groundspeak creation date earlier than the latest update date of the database, the whole gpx will be skipped?

Yes, when you select the "Newer" option the date inside the GPX file is compared to the "last update" date of each cache in your database. If this date is newer (more recent), then the details of the cache in the database are overriden with the details in the GPX file.

I've added a 'Found by me' columnd to the display but it is always blank. Why is that? I've added a 'Found' column and that is correct.

1. Your GSAK database is being updated with GPX files from gc.com (not loc files)

To get item 2 correct make sure you have the "method for matching hidden and found" caches filled out correctly. For more information see the help file or view this section online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs10900.htm

1. They are GPX files from Pocket Queries

2. I've set 'Use gc.com logon id' and my correct number (97024). Anyway GSAK correctly identifies caches I have placed as the codes are highlighted in green and the found boxes are ticked.

1. They are GPX files from Pocket Queries

2. I've set 'Use gc.com logon id' and my correct number (97024). Anyway GSAK correctly identifies caches I have placed as the codes are highlighted in green and the found boxes are ticked.

OK, first thing to try is a Database=>Repair, then try loading the GPX file again. Is your Found By me date now updated?

If not, could you please email me your GSAK.ini file (you will find this in the install folder of GSAK) and the GPX file you are loading. I should then be able to interrogate to see what the issue is.

Hello Clyde,

I'm relatively new at this and really like the way your program works. Very cool.

Is there any chance of getting a couple of Special Tags considered?

1. %dist --> distance of this cache based on the currently defined center point

2. %dir --> direction of this cache based on the currently defined center point

and maybe if you see fit, a tag to display what the center point is, the GC#### or LatLon.

Thanx!

Edited by Team Perrito Blanco
Is there any chance of getting a couple of Special Tags considered?

1. %dist --> distance of this cache based on the currently defined center point

2. %dir --> direction of this cache based on the currently defined center point

and maybe if you see fit, a tag to display what the center point is, the GC#### or LatLon.

Ok, I will look at adding these to the special tags.

I just got my reg # from Clyde and it must have been the middle of thr night there. That's dedication! Thanks.

I imported a pocket query and I had used Km and now GSAK shos KM.. Can I change it to Miles? Also ( this may be a Groundspeak issue) I asked for it to exclude caches that I own, but it didn't.

To change the km reading to miles, go to tools, options, then on the general tab, on the right hand side, there is the option of 'distance calculation'.

As far as excluding caches you own, Are you sure that there weren't already caches that you own in the database prior to importing your GPX file? Unless you tell GSAK to, it won't blank out existing data, but rather will update old info with new. If you want to filter out caches you own, you can go to the search menu, and then to filter and set up the filter criteria there.

I just got my reg # from Clyde and it must have been the middle of thr night there.  That's dedication!  Thanks.

I imported a pocket query and I had used Km and now GSAK shos KM.. Can I change it to Miles?  Also ( this may be a Groundspeak issue) I asked for it to exclude caches that I own, but it didn't.

To change the km reading to miles, go to tools, options, then on the general tab, on the right hand side, there is the option of 'distance calculation'.

As far as excluding caches you own, Are you sure that there weren't already caches that you own in the database prior to importing your GPX file? Unless you tell GSAK to, it won't blank out existing data, but rather will update old info with new. If you want to filter out caches you own, you can go to the search menu, and then to filter and set up the filter criteria there.

Thanks, I had a lot on my plate today and missed it. I had looked at that earlier and just didn't notice it.

This was a brand new install of GSAK (newly registered) and my first Pocket query also newly registered). My caches were definitely not there before I imported the pocket query.

wow, I love this program. I downloaded it a long time ago but didn't really get into the features and realize how powerful it is until yesterday.

I have a question about the %ShortName tag though. Can anyone tell me how to get it to export the names to 10 characters? I decided to use ShortName instead of the Smart Name because I didn't want the numbers at the ends of a lot of the cache names in my area.

I'm using GSAK to export a MapSource file and I've changed the Smart Name length in two places (Tools - Options - General, and also on the export page) and yet it still only gives me 8 character names when I open the file in MapSource.

I don't see a place to change the length of the ShortName tag, only the Smart Name.

Under Tools -> Options -> General tab :

On the right side, set Smart Name Length to 10. I think this is how I did it.

Um... in my post I explained that I had already tried that. It didn't seem to change the Short Name tag, only the SmartName.

I'll try the %Shortname=10 and see how that works.

How do I add a cache entry in database1 to database2?

The next version will have an option to move/copy waypoints between databases.

For now the work around is:

1. Set a filter for that 1 cache (perhaps just tick the user flag and set a filter on user flag=set)

2. Export to your filter to a GPX file

3. Load the GPX file in step 2 into your required destination database.

The next version will have an option to move/copy waypoints between databases.

Maybe a "with/without GSAK information parameter" for GPX Export ? :P (actualy use the last choice).

A little question on GSAK

On my own cache, mouse pointer give (dispay) coords in DD.DDDDD° but not on other records. A new function ?

gsak1.gif

Maybe a "with/without GSAK information parameter" for GPX Export ?

This option is already available when you export to GPX

gpx1.png

On my own cache, mouse pointer give (dispay) coords in DD.DDDDD° but not on other records. A new function ?

When ever you hover your mouse over any cell where all the information won't fit (though don't forget you can alter the width of any column) you get that "yellow hint". As Coordinates are stored internally in DD.DDDDD format the "yellow hint" for all coordinates will show in this format (when they won't fit the cell width).

Edited by ClydeE
Sorry, i'm incomplete  :P

Maybe a "with/without GSAK information parameter" for GPX Export (for automation system)

Ok, then I think you are going to like the next version of GSAK

Automation (or Macros), not only has quite a few new commands added, but the big change is that all the export commands now allow for full control over any of the options available for that export (the GPX load dialog too)

Basically, that means any option you can set in an export dialog can also be set via the macro language before doing the export in the macro.

Edited by ClydeE

How do I get Pocket Queries to list my found caches and my placed? I tried a coulple that asked for that, but it said it didn't generate anything. I'm getting frustrated. I just spent $50 ($30 Groundspeak, $20 GSAK) and I'm not getting the results I had on my old PC when everything was unregistered. Any clues?

thanks,

How do I get Pocket Queries to list my found caches and my placed? I tried a coulple that asked for that, but it said it didn't generate anything. I'm getting frustrated. I just spent $50 ($30 Groundspeak, $20 GSAK) and I'm not getting the results I had on my old PC when everything was unregistered. Any clues?

thanks,

Ok, I am not sure this is the correct thread you should be posting this question.

If you can't get a pocket query sent to you that has any information in it then you have no chance of GSAK showing your found/placed caches.

So, the first thing you must do is get a PQ that contains the information you want.

I am sure there are many PQ gurus out there that can help you with this. I guess only time will tell if they visit the GSAK thread and respond.

Though not exactly what you are asking, this link may put you on the correct path.

How do I get Pocket Queries to list my found caches and my placed?  I tried a coulple  that asked for that, but it said it didn't generate anything.  I'm getting frustrated.  I just spent $50 ($30 Groundspeak, $20 GSAK) and I'm not getting the results I had on my old PC when everything was unregistered.  Any clues?

thanks,

First of all you probably have to many things checked on your PQ setup and it's not generating anything. After you set one up run the preview to see what comes up. You can play with the settings until you get what you are looking for. Since you are using GSAK you might find the best way is to pull an EVERYTHING PQ then let GSAK do the work for you.

One more thing to remember when you get it going is that your found count showing in GSAK will never be the same as your actual number. The reason is if you find a cache that is now archived, PQ's don't pull them.

Anyone else want to add????????

<spelling>

Edited by Rosco Bookbinder

I'm using GSAK to try to export a file for use in Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005. When I export the file it shows up as an Excel file & then when I try to read it into S&T is says "......\Data.csv has a bad format".

I have not registered GSAK yet....I will as soon as my son with the paypal account wakes up......(really, I will, I promise)......might it have anything to do with using an unregistered version?

Thanks,

Paul

If you are checking both of these boxes "I have found" and "I have placed", it will look for caches meeting BOTH of these criteria (probably NONE). Try a seperate PQ for each cache type.

*edited to insert quote

Edited by gnbrotz
I'm using GSAK to try to export a file for use in Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005. When I export the file it shows up as an Excel file & then when I try to read it into S&T is says "......\Data.csv has a bad format".

I think you are trying to open this file in S&T 2005

Rather, you should use the data import wizard.

For a good example on how to do this see http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net/formats/s_...Trips_2003.html

Yup, that was it.....worked like a charm.

GSAK seems like a great program, I admit that I am a newbie & I've a lot to learn to get the most out of it.

Frankly I decided to use it based on what I read others saying about it & the great support "Clyde" gives.

Thanks ... and yes, I will be registering :P

Paul

Edited by Uniacke Raiders