GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

The right click thing works for mapping a single cache. What I really use the map most for is to visualize where the caches are. Just looking at the list and the distance sort give me an idea where any single caches is, but I may have two that are 5 miles from home, but 10 miles from each other. Sure the direction helps, but putting symbols on a map is just easier.

One thing that for me would be particularly useful, and kind of along the same lines would be a number of caches (preferably unfound) within n kilometers field for each cache.

That way you could tell how dense caches are within an area without actually having to plot the caches, and worrying about all the garbage that comes along with that. (Zoom in zoom out, pan, keeping track of what to plot, front back, graphics methods etc.)

What do you (Clyde) feel about this? Does it make it on to the todo list? I'd really like it, I know that much. Might code something like it myself once that %UTM flag comes along.

If I do get around to it and there is interest, I'll make it public domain.

One thing that for me would be particularly useful, and kind of along the same lines would be a number of caches (preferably unfound) within n kilometers field for each cache.

Could you please elaborate on this. Would a right mouse click option for each cache work or were you thinking of some kind of report (perhaps an HTML generated one). Perhaps something different again?

On the mapping side, sorry if I sounded too dismissive of this idea. It is actually on the "to do" list - but I see it as low priority and something I will only get on to when I virtually have nothing else to do <_<

Something I've noticed with GSAK when importing .loc files is it doesn't seem to pickup the type of cache each is. I noticed this when I was importing benchmarks into the program and have had to set each of them to the type "benchmark" manually.

Is this just an oversight? Or does it have to do with it being a .loc file and not a .gpx file? It's a small thing I know but would save a bit of work when importing benchmarks. Don't think I can get benchmarks in a .gpx file.

Something I've noticed with GSAK when importing .loc files is it doesn't seem to pickup the type of cache each is. I noticed this when I was importing benchmarks into the program and have had to set each of them to the type "benchmark" manually.

Is this just an oversight? Or does it have to do with it being a .loc file and not a .gpx file? It's a small thing I know but would save a bit of work when importing benchmarks. Don't think I can get benchmarks in a .gpx file.

Loc files contain very limited information (and certainly not the cache type) - You really only get about 10% use out of GSAK if you are using LOC files. If you can, only load GPX files into GSAK.

Please see items 2 and 10 of the FAQ in the help file or online here

As for Benchmarks, geocaching.com do not yet provide GPX files for these however you can get GPX files by using the BM2GPX program to convert the benchmark data sheets.

Note: If you must use loc files and want to change the cache type, rather that one at a time, use the global replace option to update all in one hit

Edited to add note:

Edited by ClydeE
Could you please elaborate on this. Would a right mouse click option for each cache work or were you thinking of some kind of report (perhaps an HTML generated one). Perhaps something different again?

On the mapping side, sorry if I sounded too dismissive of this idea. It is actually on the "to do" list - but I see it as low priority and something I will only get on to when I virtually have nothing else to do <_<

I was thinking the ideal implementation would be to have this indicated as another field for each cache, all precalculated. A right click option really wouldn't do it for me anyways, as I'd really like to be able to sort on it, kinda figure out where the hotest cache spots are in an area.

If I were implementing it in seperate program, I'd probably just take in a CSV file, of CODE,X,Y and output another CSV file.

Not really hard to implement, only problem is that at least with the simplest implementation, the computational time grows with the square of the number of caches, so if you have a database of 10,000 caches, we're talking about a hundred million different distances that you have to calculate. Not something you want to do on the fly, but shouldn't be too slow on a reasonably modern machine.

If I were you, implementing it within GSAK, I'd probably figure out how long it would take for a larger database, and how often you can recalculate it without driving the user nuts (i.e. would each time a new cache is imported be too much. If the time were prohibitive, I'd probably have it set up so that the user has to force a recalculate manually.)

I might implement a command line interface if I do it myself, but I code mostly in VB, so probably not something anyone would want to include within their programs, and WAY too slow too. Might not be a bad time to brush up on my C though... That would be much faster.

As far as the mapping goes, I don't blame you. That is a huge can'o worms. I've coded similar things myself, and they are way more work than they are generally worth, considering that there are plenty of programs already out there to do the self things in, and non-programmers don't generally apreciate the . Fun though if you can get in to it, but leaves you open to way more stupid little bugs.

Loc files contain very limited information (and certainly not the cache type) - You really only get about 10% use out of GSAK if you are using LOC files. If you can, only load GPX files into GSAK.

Ok, maybe I looked at something wrong when I looked at the .loc files but I would of swore they had a <type>benchmark</type> in the file which I would take to indicate the type of cache it is. Or does this indicate something else? I can change them it's just I thought if a better way why not try that.

I am getting PQ's in .gpx format for normal caches so that's not an issue, just with benchmarks that isn't an option as you point out and thus .loc files are all there is to work with.

Clyde,

I get several pocket queries every week, my issue is clearing out/ overwriting my old queries. I want to retain this information and have tried to create a large GPX file to replace the existing ones, this file ends up being to big!. Do i need to do this manually ie 1000 at a time or is thier another way?.

Also when filtering is thier an easy way to get the 2500 nearest caches to a centre point (memory limit on my Palm) rather than just reducing the distance.

NB fantastic piece of software

I get several pocket queries every week, my issue is clearing out/ overwriting my old queries. I want to retain this information and have tried to create a large GPX file to replace the existing ones, this file ends up being to big!. Do i need to do this manually ie 1000 at a time or is thier another way?.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking here. Also, you say too big - too big for what? Please try again.

Also when filtering is thier an easy way to get the 2500 nearest caches to a centre point (memory limit on my Palm) rather than just reducing the distance.

1. Clear all user flags

2. Set user flags for next 2500

3. Set filter on user flag = set

If you do this often you could even set up a macro to do the lot (including the export to your plam if using cachemate)

OK as i use the same pocket quries the ZIP files come in with the same file name but with new data. So i currently change the old file names so i dont lose old inforamtion. So i end up with a large folder of files that i import on a regular basis. as i get more and more files i want clear some of these out to sped thing up a bit. To do this i tried to export my entire GSAK database as one GPX file this freezes up my system. So is the only way to create smaller GPX files manually or am i missing something really obvious.

Missed the user flag number box cheer for that.

OK as i use the same pocket quries the ZIP files come in with the same file name but with new data. So i currently change the old file names so i dont lose old inforamtion. So i end up with  a large folder of files that i import on a regular basis. as i get more and more files i want clear some of these out to sped thing up a bit. To do this i tried to export my entire GSAK database as one GPX file this freezes up my system. So is the only way to create smaller GPX files manually or am i missing something really obvious.

GSAK does not limit the number of waypoints you can export.

Hmm, what operating system are you using?

What is the total amount of memory you have?

What is the total amount of free disk space you have?

How many waypoints are you trying to export?

Your system should certainly not "freeze up". I have no other reports of this and just did a 60,000 waypoint export without incident. Though I suspect if you are running GSAK on a modest (read old) system with limited resources and something like windows 98, this could be an issue on a large database.

Edited by ClydeE

GSAK does not limit the number of waypoints you can export.

Hmm, what operating system are you using?

What is the total amount of memory you have?

What is the total amount of free disk space you have?

How many waypoints are you trying to export?

Thought that might be the case as smaller files are no problem. only 4500 waypoints.

Plenty of disk space just not much memory.

Shall split into 1000 chunks with the user flag set up. Cheers for the help.

OK as i use the same pocket quries the ZIP files come in with the same file name but with new data. So i currently change the old file names so i dont lose old inforamtion. So i end up with a large folder of files that i import on a regular basis. as i get more and more files i want clear some of these out to sped thing up a bit. To do this i tried to export my entire GSAK database as one GPX file this freezes up my system. So is the only way to create smaller GPX files manually or am i missing something really obvious.

OK, I am new to GSAK, so bear with me if I don't understand what is going on. BUT....

It seems like if you are constantly running the same query which brings you updated information on the same set of waypoints, that you do not need to retain your previous GPX files. You keep your previous stuff in the GSAK database, and only run the most recent pocket query which will update the database. I don't understand the need to retain all your previous PQ data. The only reason I can think of doing that is if the queries are not really the same. But even at that, what you have already loaded into GSAK should be on the database and there would be no need to retain the GPX files you have already loaded. Even if you wanted to save the old GPX files for archive purposes, you can move them to a different folder and not keep importing them.

Am I missing something?

Thought that might be the case as smaller files are no problem. only 4500 waypoints.

Plenty of disk space just not much memory.

Shall split into 1000 chunks with the user flag set up. Cheers for the help.

Wow, you must only have about 32mb of memory for this to be a problem.

I just had a look at the output buffer for GPX generation. It is quite large and is not cleared until the whole file is generated. Reducing this and clearing the output buffer as it goes does drastically reduce the memory load with apparently only a very small impact on speed. I would expect this would enable you to export large databases (50,000 +) even with 32mb of memory.

I can send you a version with this patch if you are interested.

Miha Ivan. the file names are the same so i need to change the file names rather than just moving them so creating a whole new file from GSAK seemed the easier option.

Clyde i have 250 but keep lots up and running at the same time shall try shutting some stuff down before i try again. No worries am upgrading the beast next year for a laptop so i can carry the database with me.

Not a Gsak error, but when I try to load my waypoints to my gps I get an error message (I also can't load maps now)

error reads:

error sending waypoints

MAPGROTO cannot open 'com1' for write. error was permission denied

how do I fix this

I have been able to do it in the past (months ago)

Using XPpro sp2 (error existed prior to the SP2) and a Sport track map with the new Gsak

:unsure::lol::unsure:

Markandlynn, the filenames are the same, but that makes no difference. You just overwrite the old file with the new one, and GSAK keeps the information from the old files and merges it with the new files. I have data going back almost a year, and just keep getting the same pocket queries with the same filenames, and importing them as they come. There is no good reason to keep all those pocket queries that I can think of.

Full, what else is using Com1? Sounds like you have something else that is using the serial port, whether physically connected or not. Maybe a PDA sync program, maybe something else. What happens when you try to use Com2 or other ports?

Edited by NightPilot

MAPGROTO cannot open 'com1' for write. error was permission denied

Are you sure you're actually using COM1? If you are, try closing down all programs, perhaps boot in to safe and then send the waypoints. If it works in safe mode, then you know it is something else that has hijacked that port. Another option is to buy an external serial port (USB), and hook it up to that. I know that you can get one for about $30 Canadian here. Not a bad idea anyways, as I know my laptop didn't come with one (serial port that is), and you never know when it could come in handy.

For information. Little bug (? or not).

Now the Belgian provinces are in the caches pages (thanks grounspeak guys :lol: )

But, the field "State" is not updated (if not empty).

For a new database, Ok

If i delete the state field in my base and update point, Ok

I use this work arround for update : (filter on Belgium) Database/Global replace, Replace State with nothing. After updating, Ok.

Thanks Clyde :blink:

Now the Belgian provinces are in the caches pages (thanks grounspeak guys :blink: )

But, the field "State" is not updated (if not empty).

For a new database, Ok

If i delete the state field in my base and update point, Ok

Hmmm, anyone else see this problem?.

I cannot reproduce this behaviour . The state field always gets updated when a record gets updated.

Perhaps you have some abbreviation setting active (Tools=>Options=>Abbreviations)

Also in your "database update options" when loading data have you selected "always" (perhaps the file you are loading has an older date and you have selected the "newer only" option)

Clyde,

I know that GSAK can export to a NG TOPO! .tpg file, but I don't see this listed among the file types within the "automating GSAK" instructions. Can you export to a .tpg file from within an automation macro? If so, same syntax as the other exports?

The bad news is that currently there are a few exports (NG TOPO is one) that you can't do in the macro language.

The good news is that the next version of GSAK does allow for ALL export formats. In addition the macro language really gets some bite with quite a few extra commands and the ability to control all the settings in each export dialog.

My database update options are "Allways"

Convert Option (on import) not select in abbreviation (but original abbr. stay in place).

All records content = "none" (in Stat) before update

Just a follow up for those watching this post. After a few emails with Habot we have tracked down the problem.

The problem with this one seems to be with Groundspeak. For some reason the Individual GPX download files are OK, but the GPX files generated via a PQ do not have the information in the state element. Perhaps as this is a new feature for Belgian caches they haven't quite got it right yet.

Sorry - Misposted this Originally. MUST be Monday! :lol:

Maybe I'm just missing something, but the only way I've seen to move waypoints between databases is to export them and then re-open the exported file after selecting the databses you want them in. Is there another way?

Move and copy options (or cut/copy and paste?) on the right click menu would be great.

Thanks!

Maybe I'm just missing something, but the only way I've seen to move waypoints between databases is to export them and then re-open the exported file after selecting the databses you want them in. Is there another way?

Currently, no. However, move/copy of waypoints will be available in version 4.3

Clyde,

This is a small thing in the larger scheme of things but I thought I would mention it.

The state abbreviation for Hawaii is HI not HA, this caused me a little confusion when I added a waypoint for the hotel I'm about to visit using HI. Then when I asked for all waypoints with HI only that one came up. I had all of Hawaii loaded but noticed they are all coded HA. So I tried to correct it but it does not update the database with the new code.

Is there a way to fix this or do I just need to mis-code Hawaii from now on?

Thanks for a great product.

The state abbreviation for Hawaii is HI not HA, this caused me a little confusion when I added a waypoint for the hotel I'm about to visit using HI. Then when I asked for all waypoints with HI only that one came up. I had all of Hawaii loaded but noticed they are all coded HA. So I tried to correct it but it does not update the database with the new code.

Thanks for picking this up, I will correct the default abbreviation in the next release.

However, you can correct your copy now - the abbreviations are fully customizable. This will correct any future GPX loads you do, but will not correct the current incorrect ones.

As for fixing all the incorrect HA entries that are currently in your database:

1. Set a filter on State = HA

2. Do a global replace (Database=>Global Replace) Selecting State from the drop down box, and enter HI in the "with" field

Trivial and pointless question.

When I see the word GSAK the voices in my head pronounce it as gask (as in gasket).

Is there a proper way to pronounce this acronym? G-SAK?

I haven't thought about it. Personally I always think G-SAK (GEE-Sack).

I think I would have to force myself into dyslexic mode to be able to say GASK :lol:

Trivial and pointless question.

When I see the word GSAK the voices in my head pronounce it as gask (as in gasket).

Is there a proper way to pronounce this acronym? G-SAK?

Funny about that, I too have voices in my head - but that is another story :lol:

In answer to your question, GEE-Sack

Thanks for picking this up, I will correct the default abbreviation in the next release.

However, you can correct your copy now - the abbreviations are fully customizable. This will correct any future GPX loads you do, but will not correct the current incorrect ones.

As for fixing all the incorrect HA entries that are currently in your database:

1. Set a filter on State = HA

2. Do a global replace (Database=>Global Replace) Selecting State from the drop down box, and enter HI in the "with" field

Just following on for those that are asking what abbreviations?

GSAK allows you to automatically convert the incoming state from a GPX file to an abbreviated form. ( Like when people use the abbreviated state format to address letters) You can turn this on via Tools=>Options=>Abbreviations. This makes for easier filtering on state and less clutter in the HTML pages.

GSAK ships with default state abbreviations for USA, Australia, and Canada. However, this table can be updated so you can either change the default abbreviations or make up your own for your country.

In the new maintenance release, when sorting by bearing it now sub-sorts by distance - great, I always wanted this. But I've noticed the sub-sort only holds up for about one-half of the bearing sort. For example, after I sort by bearing I have 20 subsorted by East that are in perfect order by distance, then the last half by bearing are all over the place by distance. this is for all bearfing points. How's that happening?

In the new maintenance release, when sorting by bearing it now sub-sorts by distance - great, I always wanted this. But I've noticed the sub-sort only holds up for about one-half of the bearing sort. For example, after I sort by bearing I have 20 subsorted by East that are in perfect order by distance, then the last half by bearing are all over the place by distance. this is for all bearfing points. How's that happening?

Yea, sorry about that. In the release notes I should have added:

"On some databases a Database=>Repair is required to effect this change"

Just do a Database=>Repair (this only needs to be done once, not after every GPX load!) and all should be well :huh:

Yea, sorry about that. In the release notes I should have added:

"On some databases a Database=>Repair is required to effect this change"

Just do a Database=>Repair (this only needs to be done once, not after every GPX load!) and all should be well  :lol:

That fixed it. Thanks. :huh:

Hello

Firstly I'm a little over one week into this addictive pastime. Secondly if the topic has been raised before I apologise in advance.

Now I have a Garmin 12 and want to down load waypoints to it from GSAK but I am encountering problems which are sending my non-electronic brain into spasms!

I received today the garmin serial cable and have connected the G12 to my PC which runs MS XP and also on my laptop which runs MS98 , followed the set up garmin/garmin host etc but when I try to send the wpts from GSAK I get:

Error sending waypoints

GPS-Packet_read:No DLE

Garmin: can't init COM1

I'm positive the cables in com1.

What on earth am I doing wrong? How do I fix it? or where do I go to find the answer? or am I doomed to manually enter the waypoints!

Alan

Thanks for the reply.

I do have a pda on the desk pc, so tried it with the laptop which dosen't and still get the same message.

Alan

Hmmm. Do you connect the GPS before you boot your computer? If so the computer might see it as a mouse but you would notice wierd things happening on your computer screen.

Can you try your GPSr and cable with another program to narrow down the problem? GPSTrackmaker is a freeware you could try.

Edited by PDOP's
I've now downloaded wapoints from my garmin 12 onto trackmakers map, so thats a start. However I would really like to use it with GSAK.

Alan

OK. Now that we know your cable works we can look at GSAK. I used to have a Garmin 12 and used it with GSAK so I know it works.

First off have you selected Garmin in the GPS setup in GSAK? Look under "GPS" then "setup" on the main menu bar at the top of the screen. Also specify the Com Port you're using.

Sorry Alan I'm out of ideas. I hoping Clyde or Robert (author of Babel) will step in here to trouble shoot.

Thanks PDOP'S.

I have to admit, you have exhausted everything that I would have come up with. The only other thing I can think of is that I recall that there were issues with the GPS 12 in some of the older versions of GPSBabel. So If you haven't already, make sure you have the latest build of GPSBabel downloaded and placed in the install folder of GSAK.

Otherwise it looks like this is one for the master babelhead himself.

Thanks

I have the latest version 1.2.4 and whilst checking this discovered on their list someone with the same problem, which is as yet unresolved - I'll keep an eye on that thread.

I also found a firmware update for my G12 unit on the Garmin site and will install that this evening and retry. Fingers crossed!

Alan

The upgrade to 4.60 firmware allowed the GSAK waypoints to download! The name attached is the first 6 characters of the waypoint name with further details below the lat long.

I'll now go and register with GSAK.

Many thanks for the patience shown. Looking forward to the week-end.

Alan

Edited by Algy