GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Clyde, cool!

One feature I was wondering if GSAK has (or will have) is... I'm curious what happens when I use automation and set a filter which returns no results.

In the user controlled GSAK, it doesn't allow setting a filter that returns no results. Instead it gives you a warning message that no caches meet your criteria and forces you to select new filter options.

I was interested in setting an automated filter to output separate .gpx files for each type of cache. Usually, for example, there aren't any event or CITO caches nearby, but sometimes there is. I'd like to set that filter, but will it choke on me if I try to run an automated filter that has no results?

Anyway, thanks for the unbelievable support and constant updates for this program. It has so many features that I'm constantly discovering new things I can do--and more are added all the time.

[edit]

By the way, I like the new %dif1a and %ter1a tags.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

A while back, Clyde, you suggested that the GPS symbol would be customizable by cache size. Any thoughts to implementing it? Right now you can customize the symbol by cache type and found status.

I'd like micros (and maybe smalls) to be identifiable on my map screen.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z
A while back, Clyde, you suggested that the GPS symbol would be customizable by cache size. Any thoughts to implementing it? Right now you can customize the symbol by cache type and found status.

I'd like micros (and maybe smalls) to be identifiable on my map screen.

Jamie

Yes, this one is slowly sifting its way to the front end of "this list".

We should see "icon overrides" pop up in 4.3

One feature I was wondering if GSAK has (or will have) is... I'm curious what happens when I use automation and set a filter which returns no results.

In the user controlled GSAK, it doesn't allow setting a filter that returns no results. Instead it gives you a warning message that no caches meet your criteria and forces you to select new filter options.

I was interested in setting an automated filter to output separate .gpx files for each type of cache. Usually, for example, there aren't any event or CITO caches nearby, but sometimes there is. I'd like to set that filter, but will it choke on me if I try to run an automated filter that has no results?

GSAK won't choke, but it currently will behave the same as manually setting a filter. That is, if there are no waypoints in the filter, you will get the pop up message, and after you click on OK you subset will be the whole database.

This is probably not what you want in a macro running situation. I will have to give this one some more thought. However, my current line of thinking for macros would be if you use the FILTER command in a macro and the result is zero waypoints then:

1. Do not bring up the message saying there are 0 waypoints

2. Ignore the very next command in the macro after the filter

This would be the simple easy thing to do, but I can see some short comings with this approach (like the next 3 exports might depend on this filter).

As I said I will have to give this one more thought - but will surely come up with something for 4.3

Edited by ClydeE

One of the items in the version history for 4.2 is:

Added "Log a cache" to default URLs (new install only)

I guess it is possible for people who have upgraded an existing version to 4.2 to add this URL to their list of URLs? If so, could you post the string that would need to be added?

Thanks! :D

This is my home coordinates N 33° 29.540 W 112° 01.542,how can I make it the centerpoint?I have tried to do this off and on for the past year and cannot do it,it keeps telling me something is wrong!

Update:After more playing with it and entering the coordinates differently like this:

33,29.540 , 112,01.542  now it's showing my closest cache 7000 miles away,my guess it's showing the wrong hemisphere,when I add the N and the W then it doesn't work at all!!Then it just says invalid Lat/Lon format. THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING!

Cut and paste this:-

Home, N33 29.540, W112 01.542

You have to include the commas and spaces............

Edited by Nick & Ali

Added "Log a cache" to default URLs (new install only)

I guess it is possible for people who have upgraded an existing version to 4.2 to add this URL to their list of URLs? If so, could you post the string that would need to be added?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=%gcid

should work. You add it in Tools / Options / HTML

and give it any name you want to see when you right click.

I have a Loc. files in but the center point is not set, I have my home set but all the distances are thousands of miles away still for the local caches.

From your other post it would appear your home coordinates are set correctly. However, home is only one of the many locations you can have in GSAK and you need to set it as your current centre point to have GSAK show all the caches in the distance from your home.

To set "Home" as your current centre point click on Home button on the toolbar. home.png

Some times you want to see caches that are close to other caches, so you then set that cache as your current centre point. To do this right mouse cick on the cache, and select "set this cache as centre point"

menu1.png

You can also set post codes as your centre point (certain countries only). See the main menu Centre Point=>Post code...

menu2.png

Edited by ClydeE
I have a Loc. files in but the center point is not set, I have my home set but all the distances are thousands of miles away still for the local caches.

From your other post it would appear your home coordinates are set correctly. However, home is only one of the many locations you can have in GSAK and you need to set it as your current centre point to have GSAK show all the caches in the distance from your home.

To set "Home" as your current centre point click on Home button on the toolbar. home.png

Some times you want to see caches that are close to other caches, so you then set that cache as your current centre point. To do this right mouse cick on the cache, and select "set this cache as centre point"

menu1.png

You can also set post codes as your centre point (certain countries only). See the main menu Centre Point=>Post code...

menu2.png

Clyde , is it possible to code the "postcode" side of things so we can just punch in a name and the correct postcode comes up?

If you're caching in unfamiliar territory it's likely you'll know the name but not the postcode

Clyde , is it possible to code the "postcode" side of things so we can just punch in a name and the correct postcode comes up?

If you're caching in unfamiliar territory it's likely you'll know the name but not the postcode

Yes, you can do this now. Click on the search button. Please note that only the major towns/cities that correspond to the post code are in the database.

pcode.png

Edited by ClydeE

Yes, you can do this now. Click on the search button. Please note that only the major towns/cities that correspond to the post code are in the database.

An possibility of making this something we can customize and or add to in the future?

Edited by baloo&bd

An possibility of making this something we can customize and or add to in the future?

If there is enough demand for it, then yes.

Though I would have to come up with a system so that future installs don't override/delete the custom post codes the user has added.

I had an error reading when I try to load a file. It's this: Data set must be in edit or insert mode to update. It then want to send an email to Clyde, can't, then locks up. ???

Edit: sent email to Clyde and received a fix already!! How's THAT for service?

Yes, there are some rare cases where this happens with the new 4.2 release.

I am just waiting for more feedback (read bug reports) before making a public maintenance release.

If you do run into this problem, please let me know and I will email you the link to the fix.

Just a little (esthetical) bug (very very small  <_< ) : both last line of the grid disappear some times (when use filter), the last is never display (in full screen mode?)

I can't say I have heard of this one before, nor can I repeat the behaviour.

Are you sure it is not just the fact there are NO more records to display (remembering you have a filter set)

Is there some set of circumstance you can provide me with that will always cause this to happen?

Perhaps you could email me a screen shot?

Thanks

Clyde

Edited by ClydeE
I had an error reading when I try to load a file. It's this: Data set must be in edit or insert mode to update. It then want to send an email to Clyde, can't, then locks up. ???

Edit: sent email to Clyde and received a fix already!! How's THAT for service?

Yes, there are some rare cases where this happens with the new 4.2 release.

I am just waiting for more feedback (read bug reports) before making a public maintenance release.

If you do run into this problem, please let me know and I will email you the link to the fix.

Bug report sent. Feel free to e-mail me the fix. Now I have to figure out what to do today...

--Marky

Hey gang-

I need a little help exporting Gsak to National Geographic TOPO!

I open the "File > Export > National Geographic TOPO..."

I get the "EXPORT NGTOPO" window.

Hit the "Generate"

Get a warning screen that says It will overwrite an existing map. Pressed Yes.

Showes it generates. Open the TOPO. The file is open but no waypoints are showing either on the map or in the file. <_<

What am I doing wrong? :lol:

Hey gang-

Hit the "Generate"

Showes it generates. Open the TOPO. The file is open but no waypoints are showing either on the map or in the file. :lol:

What am I doing wrong? <_<

After opening up the .tpo map file, did you open the .tpg waypoint file?

--Marky

Hey gang-

Hit the "Generate"

Showes it generates. Open the TOPO. The file is open but no waypoints are showing either on the map or in the file. :lol:

What am I doing wrong?  <_<

--Marky

Yes.

The File is "open"

but nothing is there.

A quick question

Can mobipocket reader read the output file?

I've tried but can't seem to get it right.

Thanks for any help

No there is no export from GSAK that mobipocket can read.

Many geocaches find mobipocket to be VERY inferior to the other options available. If it works for you then good, but you may want to take a look at the Cachemate or plucker options. (both of which GSAK can generate data for)

STOP THE PRESSES! STOP THE PRESSES!! <_<

After rereading your reply Marky, I noted the .tpgwaypoint file i had was .tpo...

Opened the file and clicked "MERGE tpg... and wadda ya know! :lol:

SHAZAAM!! :lol:

All those beautiful waypoints opened up and I'm a happy guy!

Thanks, Marky!

Z

Hey gang-

Hit the "Generate"

What am I doing wrong?  <_<

--Marky

Yes.

The File is "open"

but nothing is there.

Perhaps your waypoint or cache description format special tags are incorrect.

Pelase send a screen dump to me (or post in this thread) and perhaps we can see something obvious that is wrong.

Woops: posted this while you were posting the "stop the press" message. Please ignore

Edited by ClydeE

I haven't converted totally to paperless, and I often like to print out the cache pages. The cache view screen on GSAK would be perfect for printing except that there is no option to print the encrypted hint. Yes, I'm one of those that doesn't decode the hint until after I'm stumped.

The GSAK options are to have the unencrypted hint on another page, or the unencrypted hint on the bottom of the cache view. I'd like to print the cache page with the encrypted hint, but the only way to do that now is to go to GC.com and printer-friendly page.

Is there a way to do this that I'm not aware?

Jamie

I haven't converted totally to paperless, and I often like to print out the cache pages. The cache view screen on GSAK would be perfect for printing except that there is no option to print the encrypted hint. Yes, I'm one of those that doesn't decode the hint until after I'm stumped.

The GSAK options are to have the unencrypted hint on another page, or the unencrypted hint on the bottom of the cache view. I'd like to print the cache page with the encrypted hint, but the only way to do that now is to go to GC.com and printer-friendly page.

Is there a way to do this that I'm not aware?

Jamie

Perhaps a bit clumsy, but yes, add the special tag %crypt as part of your "waypoint description for HTML view" (Tools=>Options=>Html)

More elegent if you are using the Grid print format, because then you can just add a custom column that contains the %crypt special tag.

Also note that the condensed print format does have a check box that will enable you to decrypt/encrypt the hints

If you are going to print, I would honestly suggest you use either the Grid or condensed print format. You can select preview to see what they look like.

You select the print option via File=>Print or the printer icon in the tool bar

Edited by ClydeE

Oh wow! Condensed print is exactly what I was wanting!

Wow. I used to use a convoluted workaround to get this. I never realized GSAK would do it.

By using the condensed print and printing two pages per sheet, two-sided, I can print between 10 and 20 cacher per sheet of paper. Sometimes up to 25!

This is so awesome. Thanks for pointing out another feature of your program.

Jamie

You have changed your split screen format. You have 4 to choose from. Just set it back to "Full Display"

Can one of those split-screen options be for "Second Window" so I can put the other "pane" on my other monitor? B)

Sure, I can double click to open a browser... but it's not quite the same.

I only ask in half-seriousness.

Actually, I'd like if the GSAK window would remember where I closed it. If I move GSAK to my second monitor, the next time I open it, it opens on my main monitor--I'd prefer if it remembered where I wanted it. I'm not sure what this involves, but I've noticed most other programs do this.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z
You have changed your split screen format. You have 4 to choose from. Just set it back to "Full Display"

Can one of those split-screen options be for "Second Window" so I can put the other "pane" on my other monitor? B)

Sure, I can double click to open a browser... but it's not quite the same.

I only ask in half-seriousness.

Actually, I'd like if the GSAK window would remember where I closed it. If I move GSAK to my second monitor, the next time I open it, it opens on my main monitor--I'd prefer if it remembered where I wanted it. I'm not sure what this involves, but I've noticed most other programs do this.

Jamie

Short anwser, no. B)

Okay, dumb question again. I just got a legend and I want to download the waypoints or the coordinates to the legend so that when I pull up a file on my palm I can match it and the legend will lead me right to the cache. I am sure that I just haven't found the right buttons, but I really did try to lfind it before I asked.

Okay,  dumb question again.  I just got a legend and I want to download the waypoints or the coordinates to the legend so that when I pull up a file on my palm I can match it and the legend will lead me right to the cache.  I am sure that I just haven't found the right buttons, but I really did try to lfind it before I asked.

Sorry, I am not quite sure what you are asking here.

What do you mean by "that when I pull up a file on my palm I can match it and the legend will lead me right to the cache"?

Edited by ClydeE

I thought that there was a way to pull up a file from my palm and get a waypoint that I could match to the coordinates on my legend and then it would do its magic and lead me to the cache. When I go to the file send to it shows many options but I know that I only want to download to the garmin, the waypoint name and coordinates. Isn't that posible when I have a file set up on the computer to just send that much information to my unit?

I thought that there was a way to pull up a file from my palm and get a waypoint that I could match to the coordinates on my legend and then it would do its magic and lead me to the cache. When I go to the file send to it shows many options but I know that I only want to download to the garmin, the waypoint name and coordinates. Isn't that posible when I have a file set up on the computer to just send that much information to my unit?

Now I am really confused.

This thread if for GSAK 4.2

Your question appears to relate to the Palm only, this being the case I suggest you ask your question in another thread.

If you have some specific GSAK issue then please describe that issue in more detail.

Ok I am sure that this topic has been covered before but I have searched through the forums and have not been able to find an answer to my question.

I am trying to automate a procedure whereby if a group of people want to go out caching together each person sends a gpx file of found and not found for the area they want to cache in. I want to merge them into a separate database called cache buddy. The results of the merged file is filtered for unfound caches in the area and the filter is saved as cache-buddy.gpx. This way I can send the file out to everyone going caching together so we have a list of all of the caches we can do in a given area.

When the GPX file has been saved I want to make sure that the cache buddy database is cleared or deleted so that data from one run doesn't infect the next run.

I can do this manually quite easily and it works quite well but when I try to automate it I get strange results in the LOAD command.

First question, is there anyway to load all the GPX files in a given directory without having to load each one individually?

Second question, for some reason no matter what name I put for the LOAD command it always tries to load the last single file that was used. Eventhough the debug prompt tells me it wants to load the correct filename, each time it loads a previous GPX say its called badfile.gpx. Now manually going into GSAK load screen, under single file it shows C:\windows\desktop\badfile.gpx

Here's my current .txt file:

DEBUG STATUS=on

LOAD file="C:\windows\desktop\buddytst\buddy1.gpx" database="cachebuddy"

LOAD file="C:\windows\desktop\buddytst\buddy2.gpx" database="cachebuddy"

LOAD file="C:\windows\desktop\buddytst\buddy3.gpx" database="cachebuddy"

LOAD file="C:\windows\desktop\buddytst\buddy4.gpx" database="cachebuddy"

LOAD file="C:\windows\desktop\buddytst\buddy5.gpx" database="cachebuddy"

LOAD file="C:\windows\desktop\buddytst\buddy6.gpx" database="cachebuddy"

FILTER NAME=cachebuddy

EXPORT TYPE=GPX File="c:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\CACHE-BUDDY.GPX"

EXIT

Any suggestions, criticisms, etc. would be appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Logger

Hi!

I really really like GSAK but I am confused. Say I have a GSAK database set up for a 25 mile radius of my home zipcode (downloaded as a pocket query GPX file from geocaching.com and then opened up in GSAK).

I go looking for and find some caches that are in this database. I come home and log into geocaching.com and log my finds. Now, how do I go back into GSAK and "update" that GSAK database's "Found by" column to show that I found these caches? I have my geocaching name set up as an "Exact Match under the "Method for matching placed (hidden) and found caches." Is that right?

Do I just go and run the same exact pocket query in geocaching.com and then open the resulting gpx file in GSAK again as I did when I first set up my database, or can I just do something within GSAK to have my database reflect that I have found whatever caches I was able to find?

I guess I am having some trouble in understanding all the great bells and whistles you have put into your program (I love bells and whistles once I can figure them out).

Thanks for all your help!

Le Moore aka TeddyTexas

Riddlers, to send waypoints to the Garmin, just click on GPS and Send waypoints. That sends the waypoints to the GPS. You do need to make sure GSAK knows that you have a Garmin, and the Garmin must be set to Garmin interface, not NMEA in/out. The GSAK help file explains this process pretty well.

Edited by NightPilot
First question, is there anyway to load all the GPX files in a given directory without having to load each one individually?

You can do this when you select the open dialog manually, however automation (macros) does not support this. (Version 4.3 of GSAK will address this)

Second question, for some reason no matter what name I put for the LOAD command it always tries to load the last single file that was used. Eventhough the debug prompt tells me it wants to load the correct filename, each time it loads a previous GPX say its called badfile.gpx. Now manually going into GSAK load screen, under single file it shows C:\windows\desktop\badfile.gpx

There were some changes made in this area in 4.2

On the surface this would appear to be a bug. I will have a look at this closer and get back to you.

Thanks Clyde,

I didnt want to bother you with this one so I figured I would put it out to the brain trust...

You must have two monitors running at the same time... One eyeball watching mail on the first monitor and the second eyeball watching the forums. <_<

Thanks again for your help.

Logger