Most Ftf's

Chaz

I'm pretty willing to bet that a good portion of Bassoonpilot's 1,000+ finds are FTF's. When he was logging his finds he was FTF on most of the caches in our region over a period of a couple years. When he wasn't first , Stayfloopy was there. With 3,000 plus finds and a lot of them FTF's, Stayfloopy may well be the FTF king.

I don't know if either has tracked their FTF's, but I wouldn't be surprized if their FTF's were in the high 3 figures.

Out of 250 total finds, I've got 98 FTFs, (Officially, 97; one of those I found before it went live and it never got approved). Most of these are late night finds.

The kids and I are planning on finding three more this weekend, with #100 being a 5 star terrain that's just waiting for a finder. Of course, we don't let them stay up until the wee hours, so we're going to get up before sunrise and start hunting.

I thought we had way more, but when I went back and counted, we only have about 225 (not counting FTFs done as a group). One of the reasons I was keeping track was that I was trying to hide a cache for every FTF I had. I think having a 1/1 ratio of FTF/Hides is cool. :D

--Marky

I have 12 FTFs and have found a total of 192 caches. This is in a 4 month period.

All but three of my FTFs were before 0630. I check for new caches before going to bed. I have skipped 2 FTFs, one because of muggles, and the 2nd one was because I wasn't supposed to find the cache :D : Do Not find This Cache. I'm proud to admit that rule number 15 was written because of what happened to me :D

My rules are that I only find FTFs before and after work or when I happend to be "going in that direction."

I have skipped a few new caches because I didn't feel like driving 30 miles just for a FTF log.

Edited by Kit Fox

In the year and a half that we have been caching we have almost 800 finds. Of those 800 finds we only have 1 ftf. We both have jobs and it seems that caches in our area are published while we are at work. There are quite a few people in our area that use the I phone app and a soon as a cache is published they drop what they are doing and go get the ftf. The 1 ftf that we got was basically a fluke. We got it on the Mrs birthday. We decided to go out for a walk on the nearby bike path so I check for caches before we left and loaded up the caches that were on the path. We had found a couple along the path and were signing the blank log of the ftf when some other cachers came running down the path as we were signing. They were some of these people with the I phone. Appeared to be real bummed that they didn't get there before we did. As it turns out the cache we got the ftf on was published a minute or so before I loaded it onto the gpsr. I guess until we can afford to retire we will have to settle for the occasional ftf. I'm sure not going to try and kill myself getting them. We enjoy the interesting caches and the places that we find caching more than chasing the ftf.

Edited by gnjeepn

Last September there was a local event held on 09/09/09. There were nine new caches placed by several hiders (I hid one of them) published the morning of the event. I took the day off of work to grab some of those caches (all the major cache types were represented) and was out about 8:00am. I was FTF on the first three I found, then started to feel guilty about getting all the FTF opportunities so took a brunch break until about 11:00am. So, the most I've found in a day is 3 and I have somewhere between 15 and 20 total. I don't keep track so I don't know the exact number. My general sense about my area is that there are many geocachers that like finding a clean log to sign but I wouldn't consider any of them FTF hounds. There's a cache about .9 of a mile from me that was placed almost two weeks ago that has yet to be found, and as far as I can tell, nobody has tried to search for it either. The page listings indicates that access to a trail to the cache is through the COs driveway and backyard and local cachers just don't care enough about getting a FTF that they'll risk a neighbor calling the cops about someone wandering through the COs property.

I used to get into the whole FTF thing, but was always beaten out by a local cacher who has over 500 FTFs. So my game is the STF. You have to time things just right - wait long enough for one person to get it but not so long that the whole crowd has been there. Caching couples and teams really screw up the whole STF game, but the spirit of the game is still there.

That said I have 147 FTFs and 192 STFs. That's out of ~3500 caches so about 10%!

I work and have a very busy job these days, so my caching numbers have been going way down over the past year. Oh well...

I know that this always makes Bittsen cringe, but I have to ask, "What is an 'FTF'?"

I know that we all play this differently, and that's OK, but I hate to see the more competitive aspects of it perpetuated and reinforced with posts like this. Some may, but I don't give a rat aspic if you or I found it first, second, or eleventh. If FTF is all you get out of finding caches, perhaps you'd be wise to look a little deeper.

I know that this always makes Bittsen cringe, but I have to ask, "What is an 'FTF'?"

I know that we all play this differently, and that's OK, but I hate to see the more competitive aspects of it perpetuated and reinforced with posts like this. Some may, but I don't give a rat aspic if you or I found it first, second, or eleventh. If FTF is all you get out of finding caches, perhaps you'd be wise to look a little deeper.

That^ and for the record... I have found 1... not on purpose. I find caches because I like to find them.

The idea of being with Kate Beckinsale is no less or more tempting because no one has "found" her yet.

Edited by brslk

I don't have a lot of FTFs, but this one, 1995 miles from my home, must be in the running for "the furthest from home." :P:laughing:

I was FTF on Agios Ioannis , 5958.73 miles from my home

As far as number of FTF's I don't really keep track but I do know of a cacher that found 40 some FTF in a day when a new series came out. I would guess that a couple of power trail series have had a huge number of FTF on them too.

How many FTF's do you have? I've gotten 3 in the past week and a half. :P 9 total. You?

Recently unemployed, are you?

Considering Chaz posted that in 2004, and his first page of last 20 finds goes back to July 2007, he must have become employed. :laughing:

Being FTF was as known and coveted when I started in the summer of 2003, and I joined in the race way back then. I think I stopped caring or even bothering to try by 2005. I have always thought new cachers see the "FTF race" on every cache page, and it seems that congratulating users for FTF on cache pages is much more popular than it used to be, so n00bs assume everyone out there is dying to be FTF on every cache, when it's actually the same small handful of suspects in any area.

So how many do you have? :laughing: