Which Garmin Gps Is Recommended?

Wildlife Eggsplorer

Hi, I am a newbie! I'm all signed up with geocaching.com, but I haven't purchased my GPS unit yet. I've read many of the "which to buy" posts and find myself still befuzzled.

One of my husband's few employee benefits, at the marina where he works, is the ability to purchase items for himself at wholesale. Since the marina's suppliers only handle Garmin, that's the brand I'm going with.

Now, which Garmin? Here is how I will be using the GPS unit:

1) Geocaching.

2) Documenting the location of rare plants/wildflowers.

3) Road navigation (RV-ing).

4) Hiking.

5) Boat navigation.

I don't want to overspend, yet I don't want to settle for a cheap model that won't pull its weight. The units available through the marina's supplier are:

*GPSMAP 60C and 60CS

*GPS 72

*GPS 76 and 76S

*eTrex

*eTrex Legend

*eTrex Summit

*eTrex Venture

*eTrex Vista

I appreciate your input. I have an idea of which one I should purchase, but I want to see if my own interpretation of the specs fits with that of experienced geocachers. :)

I use a 60C and am very pleased with it. If I were doing marine navigation, I would go for the 76 instead.

I didn't get the 60CS because I didn't think that the electronic compass was worth the extra money, and the forum reports were a little negative on accuracy, battery life, etc. Therefore, I would probably recommend the 76, and not the 76S.

Just my two cents.

From what you posted (RV, Geocaching and Marine) I'd suggest the Garmin 76C or 76CS. They float, have the most memory of a hand held unit to store the maximum amount of detailed maps, have the geocaching mode, etc.

The difference between the 76C and 76CS is the electronic compass (which I like) and the barometric sensor (I don't really take advantage of).

It's not much more the then 60C(S) but it floats and has 2x the memory.

I agree with Team DEMP. We started with a Garmin 72 for an inexpensive GPS for our kayaks. We recently researched the units and bought the Garmin 76C. I have read negatives about the built-in compass and barometric sensor on the 76CS. We really like the auto-routing capabilities of the 76C. If that one is not available, then I would have to go with the 60C. Hope that helps.

GPS Map 76CS

60CS

60C

GPS V

Legend C

Vista C

I'd choose something on that list. Some factors to consider. You can save a little if you decide you don't need the electronic compass. From your uses you won't need it so it's a personal choice. Also consider memory. More memory is more maps. How far will you be running around in your RV between points where you can update the maps in your GPS?

All of those will use City Select software to auto route. All of those are porrable enough to hike.

The V, the 60, and 76 have a quad helix antenaa that will work a little better than the rest in tree cover.

If screen size is a concern Avoid the Legend and Vista's.

I didn't see the 76CS on your list, but judging from your requirements, particularly the marine one, I'd have to say the 60CS or the 76S. If you're going to spend that much also consider the 76CS. The 76 series is particularly good for marine use and if you can get a good deal on the 76CS go for it.

Now if the choice is between a 76S and a 60CS, I'd have to recommend the latter.

The eTrex line is great for hiking but leaves a bit to be desired for boating, so I would rule those out.

Edited by briansnat

Is your husband going purchase from a Marina or from Garmin, Being an employee of a Garmin dealer he should be able to by from Garmin with an employee purchase form. This purchase price would be less than the wholesale price. Even if the Marina does not by directly from Garmin he should be able to purchase from Garmin uless the Marina supplier is not a grey market dealer.

It's no wonder I've been befuzzled about which Garmin GPS system to purchase. The things I've learned for certain are:

*Just about any GPS unit will get me close enough to find a cache.

*Most people love the unit they currently own.

I have a couple additional questions to ask:

1) If I plan on using it with my RV, should I definitely get a system where I can upload maps, or are most basemaps adequate?

2) The GPSMAP76 series was recommended strongly because of my possible water navigation usage. With geocaching and RVing being the primary uses, and water navigation infrequent (~2 times a year), would a different system be a better fit?

3) The GPS60C/CS has gotten lots of good reviews. Please share what the 60C does that others don't and why those aspects are so valued?

Thank you ALL for being so forthcoming and patient with me. I can't wait until I'm out there "laying eggs" in your caches:) -- Wildlife Eggsplorer

1) If I plan on using it with my RV, should I definitely get a system where I can upload maps, or are most basemaps adequate?

2) The GPSMAP76 series was recommended strongly because of my possible water navigation usage. With geocaching and RVing being the primary uses, and water navigation infrequent (~2 times a year), would a different system be a better fit?

3) The GPS60C/CS has gotten lots of good reviews. Please share what the 60C does that others don't and why those aspects are so valued?

Thank you ALL for being so forthcoming and patient with me. I can't wait until I'm out there "laying eggs" in your caches:) -- Wildlife Eggsplorer

The 60C(S) and 76C(S) are the top units these days when folks are looking at what to upgrade to. The primary difference to me was not the floatation, but the memory.

The basemap in the 76 is better then the 60. But, I wouldn't rely on the basemap unless you're just cruising for hours along the highway. I'd suggest loading in the detailed map segments for your trip. The 76 has twice as much memory as the 60 and for me, on a trip I go 635 mi from Northern NJ to Southeastern NC a couple times a year, I couldn't load all the detailed map segments in a 60 to cover the entire route down the east coast. I could in a 76.

Now, detailed map segments are important for roads that aren't major, but they are also important if you want to predefine a route on the computer and download the route to the GPS. In order for the GPS to navigate the predefined route, every single detailed map segment that the route touches needs to be loaded.

One thing to consider is if you'll have a PC to load in detailed map segments if you're on really long trips. If you aren't, then you might (even with the 76) need to rely on the base map. If you have a PC, then you can load up the GPS each night, if necessary, with the basemaps for the following day.

If that won't work, maybe a dedicated car unit like the higher end Garmin 2610, etc would be a good choice and then a low end handheld for geocaching. Lots of choices/decisions.

It's no wonder I've been befuzzled about which Garmin GPS system to purchase. The things I've learned for certain are:

*Just about any GPS unit will get me close enough to find a cache.

*Most people love the unit they currently own.

Yes, and LOL B) YES!

From your OP I think you want to buy just one unit to use for years, not upgrade as you used to what your current unit and can and cannot do and that which you would like it to do. If thats correct I would say get the highest end one you can. Mapping certainly, perhaps a pressure alimeter and builtin compass.

Its good that you've already figured out what your going to do with it :lol: , thats usually the first thing you need to do (well that and how much you want to spend).

uses:

1) Geocaching.

2) Documenting the location of rare plants/wildflowers.

3) Road navigation (RV-ing).

4) Hiking.

5) Boat navigation.

units:

*GPSMAP 60C and 60CS

*GPS 72

*GPS 76 and 76S

*eTrex

*eTrex Legend

*eTrex Summit

*eTrex Venture

*eTrex Vista

1 and 2 mean you need to be able to record waypoints and find them again. Which as you know can be done by most gpsr, and certianly those on your list.

3 means you wants something with mapping, so drop the etrex (gold/yellow) since it has no mapping, base map or detailed. Also drop the venture, summit, and 72. The summit has no base map, thought the venture does, it doesn't accept detailed maps. The 72 has a 'marine points' basemap, but only has 1mb memory and can only take Points of Interest anyways. The others AFAIK all take street level maps, so you can find specfic address, and see where those non major highways are.

The bigger the memory and more maps you can upload, either muliple sets of data of the same area or a much bigger area. The legend comes in with least amount at only 8mb (24 vista, 56 60's, and 115 on the 76's), theres a new color version that has 24 but thats not on the list. Also consider what mapsource programs you'll be using, it seems that the vista may need metroguide, while the others use city select (which is supposed to have a little extra stuff that needed for autorouting.) I can't tell from the garmin site, does the vista do autorouting?

Also, with the smaller memory you'll have to change maps more frequently with the vista (which is also the only of the five to not have usb connection). Maybe you care about this, maybe not.

#4 Might mean you want topos? If so make sure whatever you get is compatiabile (and topo US is on the remaining 5 I think.)

#5, So you'll want Rec lakes? or BlueChart? (the vista is noted as having some limination, but nothing specific, the others are listed as fully compatiable)

They're all supposed to be 'waterproof' (IPX7 rating).

Ok thats about all I have... B)

If you have a PC, then you can load up the GPS each night, if necessary, with the basemaps for the following day.

I didn't realize that just portions of a map could be added. That's a very useful piece of information. Thanks! By the way, when in the RV, I will definitely have a PC with me.

Check out a prev post at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1027377 where I took some screen shots of the program where you select the detailed map segments you want to load onto the GPS in the MapSource program on the PC. You can see in the screen shots that it's pretty granular which is helpful if you're only looking to cover a route, though it always seems your route just touches another segment you need to include B)

I use a 60C, just because I like the feel of it better than the 76. Smaller and better button placement, but that is personal opinion.

As to detailed maps vs. base maps, the base maps are fine for major highways, but not too much else. But if you are driving from Dallas to Denver, you could load the Dallas area maps, the Denver area maps, and rely on the base maps in between. The 60 or 76 will autoroute you along detailed local maps, switch to base maps as needed, and back to local maps. Most people spend most of their time on major highways between stopping points. Loading detail for the stopping spots only means the 60's memory should be ample for most trips.

If you are taking an unexpected side trip to Durango, you'd be left with base maps (except that in your case, you have them on the PC in your RV).

I vote GPSMAP76S. The built-in compass is ~very~ handy. If you want to spend more $$ for a color screen, that's up to you. Probably all of the 76 or 60 units will meet your basic needs.

At the Garmin website there's a handy feature that allows you to compare the features and specs of any of their models in a side-by-side chart.

Happy Shopping,

Bob

At the Garmin website there's a handy feature that allows you to compare the features and specs of any of their models in a side-by-side chart.

I've visited Garmin's website so many times that they should send me a thank you for bolstering their visit count. <_<

Frist, I would like to thank everyone that responded to my thread. I have narrowed down my choices considerably. I've never owned or used a GPSr before, so I don't have a total understanding about what features are important and which ones are all fluff. When it comes to features, I'm mainly interested in what features I'll quickly regret not having.

Here are the three units I've narrowed it down to. Are there any quirks about these units that I should know of? Is one of them far easier to use than another, easier to read/understand screen data, more accurate, etc. I've read the specs, but now I'm looking for information that only first-hand users could share.

1) eTrex Legend. Least in features, smallest in size and price.

2) GPSMAP 76S. A little more pricey, a little more features.

3) GPS60 C/CS. A whopping $350-400!

I own a 60cs and love it, but if I were going to make the purchase using hindsight I would buy the 60C instead. I don't use the additional features in the CS to justify the additional cost. I use my 60CS to find my way around new areas using auto-routing and it has been a life saver., since I travel all the time. For geocaching it works as well as any GPS I have owned. The color screen makes it a lot easier to read. The transflective screen makes it the easiest GPS to read in direct sunlight by far. the additional memory means that I can load a lot more maps. The most I loaded at one time was Idaho, Montana, and Southern California including LA and as far east as Yuma. I still had about 5 meg left. A lot of people like the 76, but it is a little awkward for geocaching.

<_<

I haven't used any of the 60-series models, so I can't comment on usability. However, the price would be a major deterrent for me. Not that I couldn' afford it if I really wanted; it just doesn't seem worth it.

The Legend has the thumb-stick and a picture driven menu. Those features are ~way~ cool and make the unit simple to use. However, the other buttons are hidden on the unit sides and aren't even labeled.

The GPS76S has the built-in compass that is a big benefit. Not only does it work when standing still and turning in place, it also allows several of the screens to stay aligned to the direction you're facing. The larger screen is a BIG feature, worth paying extra for. A smaller benefit on the 76S is the various alarms. The unit can even be set to 'beep' evey time a button is pressed, very handy when wearing gloves.

You should be able to find these in a local store somewhere to look at and get a better idea of which fits better and seems more durable to you. You can't make a bad choice with those three to select from. It's up to you how much $$ to spend to achieve the next feature level.

Happy shopping,

Bob

I was previously familiar with GPS's through boating on the Western Basin of Lake Erie, and was used to clearly marked buttons and a large color screen on the GPS. The GPS 60C was our choice to mimic this in a handheld model. After a few geocache finds with a coworker, we wanted a definative unit from the get go, rather than plunking $100 on an etrex "banana". I also used all of my husbands accumulated "points" on the Cabela's Visa card, plus they run a deal where if card members go to the store on a certain 2-3 weekends/year, you get $40 to spend in the store that day. I like living so close to Cabela's, we'll have to do some SE MI caches when that comes around again soon.

Regarding the 60CS, I like the big screen, also the way I could choose info to appear on the navigation screens. You can choose none, 2, 3, or 4 data fields with your map page, with info like speed, heading, ETA, distance to waypoint, time, etc...you choose. We don't use this feature, but you can switch to the "big numbers" for those with limited vision.

We also use the mapsource US topo software (retail about $100), which is adequate map information for both geocaching and driving on trips for us thus far.

The size is nice to wear on a belt clip and the unit is comforatble to hold in your hand while moving in the field. It's the size of my brother in law's walkie talkie Nextel phone. I can see the screen better than others in the daylight (less glare) and the backlight is adjustable, so you don't blind your night vision. The glare-resistant screen was also nice on the water this year, but we don't use this unit as our primary navigation while on the water.

The reception seems to respond the same in treecover as other high end Magellans (better in some instances) and always picks up satellites better than our friend's "Legend."

We couldn't justify purchasing the 60CS, as the extra features didn't seem worth the extra price. I have also found that using Energizer e2 titanium batteries works much better for length of use (all day long!) than any other battery we've tried. They're 2x the price, for 5x the life of the battery. The silver and green Energizer rechargeables aren't too bad either, but you have to make sure that you don't loose/pitch them! Sam's Club has nice prices on those.

Did I make things clear as mud? Hope that helped.

There are lots of happy legend users in these forums.

I'm actually a happy eMap user, but I'll put in a vote for the Legend. If you hadn't mentioned that you'd have a computer in the RV I'd join the chorus in voting for the 60C (or 76C if that were available through the marina), mainly because those units will provide auto-routing when combined with Garmin's City Select-NA maps.

But another approach is to get the cheaper eTrex Legend, which is also a bit smaller for hiking, and connect it to the computer when navigating in your RV. If you get the City Select-NA maps you can download them to the Legend and also run Garmin's free nRoute navigation software on your computer. nRoute will work with the CitySelect maps to give you voice directions when traveling. The bigger computer display would also be much better for seeing the maps than any of the handheld unit screens.

I've been using nRoute on my laptop/eMap when driving and found it to work very well.

I've read the specs, but now I'm looking for information that only first-hand users could share.

1) eTrex Legend. Least in features, smallest in size and price.

2) GPSMAP 76S. A little more pricey, a little more features.

3) GPS60 C/CS. A whopping $350-400!

The Legend is a fine unit for geocaching and hiking and will work great for 3 of your 5 planned uses. It is easy to use and compact, which I love, but its size makes its less than perfect for road navigation and though I haven't used it in a boating, it will probably be equally hard to read while bouncing among the waves. It will also sink like a rock if you drop it in the drink accidently.

The Map76S is another excellent unit. Because of its size it's less suitable for geocaching and hiking than the Legend (but not unsuitable) and better for road navigation and boating. It also has some boating specific features that the Legend and 60 series lack. It has three times the memory of the Legend which comes in handy when downloading maps (which you will need to do if road navigation is a planned use). The 76S also has a quad helix antenna which is slightly better than the Legend's patch antenna under most conditions (but not enough to base your decision on). I think this one floats which also makes it a better choice for marine use than the Legend and 60 series. It and the 60CS (but not the 60C and Legend) have an electronic compass. This is a useful feature and the reason I chose the 60CS over the 60C, but not an absolute necessity.

The 60C/CS is one great unit. My wife bought me a 60CS 2 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. She got it for the very good price of $360. Though larger than the Legend, it's not quite as big as the Map76 and the color makes the screen very readable while driving. It has plentiful memory and a lot of nice features. I like the way the displays are very user configurable and the geocaching mode is a pretty cool feature. I'm also amazed at the battery life of this thing. My Vista will go through a set of batteries in a long afternoon of geocaching. The batteries seem to last forever in the 60CS. I don't know how they did it, but I'm pleased they did.

You're not going to go wrong with any of the three. I've owned the Legend and now own a Vista and 60CS. I've used the 76S. All are very good units, but you'll have to consider the strong points of each unit and what you will be using the device for most often.

Edited by briansnat

:blink:

Hello ,

to give you feed back on GPS unit :

I am using the GPSMAP76S (Garmin) using the sensors , specialy

the Elec. Compass !

The Compass being sensitive to actual GPS orientation can pin-point

direct to the waypoint without moving. VERY goog feature !...

once you used this thing once ! then it becomes a MUST ...

For example: one Geocach was exactly between to given points:

the Owner provided the 2 points and indicated the Cach was in a straight

line between the points !

The trick is to Get to the first point and then align yourself ( NAVIGATE)

to the second point . Well this is when the COMPASS is really nice to have .NO need to walk all over to get locked to satellite again.

Just turn slowly until the arrrow in center and here you GO !

I also do hicking and the ALtimeter provide slope UP and DOWN profile .

THat can be viewed in MApSOurce .

Have a good one !

:D

DANAUDIO