Worden Cache Tax

soreyes

Are any of you familiar with this happening in other State Parks around WA?

Ghost Fort

"The wonderful folks at Fort Worden park now have implemented a 'Geocache Tax' of $10"

I really like the idea of using virtual caches to get around the tax, but the whole thing suprised me. I know there are quite a few caches near me in Deception Pass and Moran State parks.

The Worden Ranger even posted his own message up to that cache page. Wild!

There is no "Cache Tax". Ft. Worden is requiring a special use permit for all geocaches in their park. This permit costs $10.00. The WSGA has been working with the state parks department to set up a geocaching policy for all State Parks, when that has been approved we will post those policies. I have seen a first draft of those guidelines and I believe that they are very reasonable.

In the meantime the best suggestion I have for anyone considering placing a cache in a state park is to talk to the rangers. I've had the pleasure of working with rangers at several different parks around the state. They have been very open and accepting of our sport, they simply want to know what's going on in their park. They can make sure the spot you've chosen is not in a recovering area, and in some cases they can also suggest additional or better locations. If they get a report of suspicious behavior in an area it helps if they know that that is where a cache is hidden.

Here's a perfect example of this. We were talking to one of the rangers at a local State Park. During our discussion we talked about the caches that were in the park already, we described the locations of all of them. When we got to one, he perked up and he had this look on his face that said 'Ohhhhhhhh, that explains it!'. He had witnessed someone jump out of their car, quickly run into the woods then run back to the car and drive off about 5 minutes later. He assumed that it was something illegal and called the local police. He filed the required reports, etc. If the hiders had asked for permission, he would have known what was going on.

Please don't panic over this issue. This is something that is being worked out and we'll keep you posted as we get new info.

TMJ

Team Misguided

p.s. Overrunning the park with virtual cache submissions will not work because each one will have to meet current Virtual Cache submission guidelines.

I'm hurrying to get ready for a playdate. (6 year old son) Can somebody Markwell this? I've paid the tax, twice, with misgivings. Went to a party this summer, and was astonished to see that Steve Shively was one of the guests. I'm not a people person, and froze when I saw him. Had only thought of him as an obstacle to go 'round, not a human being. Wish I'd had the sense to talk to him. Fort Worden has had some bad experiences with geocaching in the past. Nonetheless, the management has agreed to let it continue. When I placed a cache, the management was very involved, and I used up a significant amount of office time with the highest ranking officials of the park. They felt that a $10 special use permit was compensation.

Don't know how to make it better, but I'm not oblivious to their point of view. Anybody want to help form a delegation to propose different options?

Oh, and by the way, on the other hand...the city (town?) of Port Townsend has been pretty cool. PT coughed up a lot of money, so Fort Worden is, to the best of my knowledge, the only State Park that you can go to for free. And, look at the police department. They loaned me a police car for the Romp. A real police car! And an officer. Not too bad. I'm willing to take the bad with the good, and I'd be willing, with help, to redefine Fort Worden's geocaching policy.

Gotta go,

KB

There is no "Cache Tax".  Ft. Worden is requiring a special use permit for all geocaches in their park.  This permit costs $10.00.

Uhh... Those sentences together don't make any sense.

Despite the Kerryesque word dance, "$10 special use permit to place a cache" = "cache tax."

I do appreciate the work WSGA is doing with the State Parks, though. If a cache costs $10 to place, so be it.

Edited by Bull Moose
There is no "Cache Tax".  Ft. Worden is requiring a special use permit for all geocaches in their park.  This permit costs $10.00.

Uhh... Those sentences together don't make any sense.

Despite the Kerryesque word dance, "$10 special use permit to place a cache" = "cache tax."

I do appreciate the work WSGA is doing with the State Parks, though. If a cache costs $10 to place, so be it.

Whoo! You guys are moving too fast for me. TMG is right, Bull Moose is right. Nobody wants to pay to play; on the other hand Fort Worden has had some bad experiences with geocaching. Have I said this before? An ammo can with a skull and crossbones painted on the outside? A cache in a paper bag?

First, we have to establish trust. I've been trying to do this. Miss Mainstream America with her cute kid wants to put a good face on geocaching. Done. I've played by the rules, established trust.

Maybe, since that's been done, we can talk about the rules. It would be easier to do so now, as opposed to when confrontational geocachers were refusing to maintain their caches.

KB

Edited by bumblingbs
Maybe, since that's been done, we can talk about the rules. It would be easier to do so now, as opposed to when confrontational geocachers were refusing to maintain their caches.

KB

Very good point. When the only contact you have with cacher is a negative one, it's hard to remain objective about the sport. Through email's with Mr. Shively from us, a personal visit with the ranger and working with good people like Mrs. BumblingB's, I'm sure they are realizing that we're not such bad people.

It takes time to repair the damage of a bad first impression, but we'll get there. If we respect their wishes, they'll respect us and geocaching.

After having a serious talk with the Illahee State Park Ranger and his two Assistants on two separate occasions, I was able to work out an arrangement that circumvented their $25.00 Park Use Tax.

My plan was as follows: Since geocachers drive cars and they have to park them in the park, I pointed out the fact that even if only 5 people were to hunt for my cache in a month, that would equal what he wanted to charge me. Since he liked my proposal, He passed on the proposal to his superior during an offical state park meeting and he was given approval for a fee waiver.

Even thought the cache has not had as many visitors as I would have expected by now, the point is that if you approach the Ranger of a State Park with a reasonable deal that benefits the him, the park, geocachers and you, then it's worth the trouble of formulating your sales pitch. Fortunately, I did not have to create or rehearse a written speech, for I did it off the top of my head before all three Rangers.

If you're in Bremerton, please visit this cache and show your support for geocaching in Washington State Parks. If you have a chance to stop by the Ranger's Office and provided he or one of his Assistants is there, say hello and thank them for supporting the hobby of geocaching.

If you want to check out the cache page, go to:

Illahee State Park Tour

At first glance you might think that it's a little complicated, but I assure you that each and every waypoint has been placed in an easy to access location. Once you have completed the rounds, you will be back to where you started and close to the exit of the park.

FLEDERMAUS

Edited by Fledermaus