All These Special Symbols!

I've been browsing a few profiles recently and stumbled over a few odd cache finds which I don't know much about. I was just wondering where & when they originated & why, & could we possibly get something up and running for the UK?!? The things i've spotted so far are USA Geocoins & Moun10bike Coins (sure there are lots more!). Do they count as separate logs? and what are they for exactly?

I like the symbols and I've found them an incentive to find particualar caches.

My understanding is the same as cave troll & joan - the coins are tracked in the same way as TB's - I have one at home right now. Mount10bike, unusually, gets his own symbol, presumably becuase he was the 1st to invent/release geocoins.

Look here Moun10bike for some info and history including maps of where his coins have got to - (none active in the UK)

It would be cool for us to have our own, but I notice some quite 'big' groups that haven't managed to get their own icons - there are several other coin styles, georges (travelling doller bills) and books so our chances are probably pretty slim.

Jeep obviously managed to swing it, but I daresay the costs of sorting out the icon and software were covered.

I'm puzzled that we can't use the benchmark symbol to log our trigpoints. I daresay there is a good reason.

The latest approved symbol is Earthcache - a geology educational cache. I'm looking forward to those arriving in the UK.

Edited by Kitty Hawk