New Forest - Permission To Place Caches

I agree this is excellent news. The New Forest is a lovely place to visit and lends itself to hiding a cache or too :laughing: . I haven't been there for a while due to all the uncertainty as to whether a cache would be there or not.

Thanks for all your efforts getting permission to locate caches there.

Andy.

Fantastic news, well done and thank you to everyone involved. The powers that be in the New Forest are very diligent about protecting the environment there so getting this agreed is quite an achievement.

I'm looking forward to visiting more places I didn't know about... :laughing:

Edited by Kitty Hawk

Has this agreement been looked at by a lawyer?

Well, I'm not one, but I'd urge anyone thinking of acting on this agreement to consider their position very carefully.

6b says that it's up to a geocacher to make sure that the FC's paths are safe and suitable. What nonsense. It's their park - they have the duty of care.

Even worse, 6c attempts to make geocachers financially liable.

Be very careful...

Anyway, who wants a sport with so many rules? Permission is one thing, this sort of agreement just removes all the fun. If they don't want caches, fine, it's their land and there are plenty of other places.

6b says that it's up to a geocacher to make sure that the FC's paths are safe and suitable. What nonsense. It's their park - they have the duty of care.

They do have a duty of care - and part of that is to ensure that they are informed of problems.

6c attempts to make geocachers financially liable

It is a standard requirement of this sort of public body to pass back the responsibility for damage as a result of that permission. They've never claimed from anyone else on other activities and don't know how they would prove specific damage was down to a geocacher.

it's their land and there are plenty of other places

Yep.

i haven't read the rules and so on yet but it's good news that they've finally agreed. thanks for all the hard work.

i'll resist temptation and have a good long think about where to place instead of just rushing out there. quality not quantity. plus only so many ftf's in one day better to spread them out over a few weeks.

cheers

Is section m complete ?Are containers permitted to be put in plastic sacks/bags?

I would have thought that was common sense as the guidelines already state that plastic bags should not be used.

Caches in plastic bags and sacks are one of my pet hates. The cache inside is always wet and/or smells, and bags are dangerous to wildlife.

T

Is section  m complete ?Are containers permitted to be put in plastic sacks/bags?

I would have thought that was common sense as the guidelines already state that plastic bags should not be used.

Caches in plastic bags and sacks are one of my pet hates. The cache inside is always wet and/or smells, and bags are dangerous to wildlife.

T

I hate black plaggy bags as well, and I try to remember to ask any cacher who mentions one in their cache submission to remove it.

But I always say that I cannot require anyone to do this as it is NOT contra gc.com guidelines although it IS contra the voluntary guidelines as issued by GAGB, and these are most often the guidelines that landowners work by.

I live near the New Forest and it's galling to have that whole area virtually cache free.

I'd sooner have caches with rules than no caches. My larger worry is that someone will spoil what we've got.

Just a thought - cachers down here have no option to travel south for a cache (no-one places them in the sea, Oh, except Dysdera) and with the New Forest 'barren' until now it reduced the number of opportunities in a given radius to the east.

Those further inland with caches in all directions don't realise how lucky they are, at least in this respect.

I for one am very grateful for the work that has been put in to get this agreement, if it doesn't suit everyone, that'll make being FTF easier :ph34r:

As Eckington has said, there is nothing in the Geocaching.com guidelines prohibiting plastic bags. If a landowner gives permission for a cache and does not specify that bags are not to be used then we will list the cache on that basis.

In the case of the New Forest, and people's concerns about the agreement, all I would say is that it is an absolute condition of us listing a cache there that the cacher must agree to be bound by all the conditions. If you cannot agree to this then I'm afraid you will not be able to place a cache there.

The good news of course is that although large, the New Forest is but a small part of the UK as a whole and there are PLENTY of good potential cache sites waiting to be exploited. :D

I'd like to express my thanks to Dave and all the others who have worked long and hard to get us into this position. :ph34r:;);)

Edited by Lactodorum

Well done to all concerned. I have just done the new forest’s latest addition GCKW8H and good fun it was to.

I think the 100 cache limit is very generous and would have been happy with 50 new caches on my doorstep. [:)]

So please everyone stick to the rules (which are only there to protect this area from the 16 million visitors it has each year) or else all the time and hard work which people have put in will be wasted.

A big thank you to all those involved.

Is section m complete ?Are containers permitted to be put in plastic sacks/bags?

Yes, section m is complete. We discussed plastic bags and NF FC were clear that they did not want plastic bags which could endanger the wildlife.

However, plastic bags were already covered by the GAGB guidelines and therefore it was unnecessary to repeat this.