Benchmarking In Utah

dino_hunters

Wow! What a great idea. I've collected similar data for PA, but haven't gone so far as to put it up on the web (my web design skills are at a 'hobby' level). If anyone is intested in putting a nice page together, I'm glad to share the data already collected, as well as help collect data for other states.

dino hunters,

Could you describe the process for creating the files. Currently I query the NGS datasheets by quad in PID order. Then I copy the result and paste it into a spreadsheet.

Then I just NAME the first line of each PID so that I can quickly go to it using Range>Go To. Works great but I don't have a way to get the coordinates into my gps. It sounds like your procedure will do that using EasyGPS to upload.

I did my county analysis for Utah and came up with the following list of benchmarks that appear to be listed in the wrong county. I will be forwarding this list to Ms. Malone at the NGS for her analysis and possible correction. If anyone is familar with any of these or their areas, please feel free to comment.

PID (DESIGNATION) - A(djusted) or S(caled) - Listed County - Mapped County - Commnet

NU1330 (G 81) - S - UT, Box Elder - ID, Cassia - 1/2 desc fits coords, 1/2 does not; coords are a bit over a mile from the ID/UT border

AA3706 (BLM OFFICE ROOF) - A - UT, Cache - UT, Salt Lake - CORS station, not described

AI5833 (EAST OGDEN GPS BASE STATION AR) - A - UT, Davis - UT, Weber - GPS base station arp

JM0565 (6 43B) - A - UT, Emery - UT, Grand - desc seems to fit coords

JN0395 (2 65C) - A - UT, Emery - UT, Grand - desc seems to fit coords

JN0498 (SALT) - A - UT, Grand - UT, Emery - desc seems to fit coords

HN0330 (B 13) - S - UT, Kane - UT, Garfield - desc seems to fit coords

HN0329 (A 13) - S - UT, Kane - UT, Garfield - desc seems to fit coords

HN0328 (Z 12) - S - UT, Kane - UT, Garfield - desc seems to fit coords

JO0547 (FRISCO 2) - A - UT, Millard - UT, Beaver - desc seems to fit coords

HM0210 (A 63) - S - UT, San Juan - CO, Montezuma - desc seems to be 3/10 mile off of coords

JM0276 (A 145) - S - UT, San Juan - CO, Montrose - desc seems to fit coords

KN0274 (E 37) - S - UT, Sanpete - UT, Sevier - coords are 3/10 mile S of Sanpete/Sevier line

AA3661 (LAKE) - A - UT, Sevier - UT, Piute - desc seems to fit coords

JN0196 (D 30) - S - UT, Sevier - UT, Piute - desc seems to fit coords

JN0255 (E 30) - S - UT, Sevier - UT, Piute - desc seems to fit coords

MR0340 (WYOMING SW COR AZ MK) - S - UT, Summit - WY, Unita - topo shows BM on WY side of border

LQ0204 (B 77) - S - UT, Tooele - NV, Elko - topo shows BM abt 1/2 mile E of coords

The flow is basically this:

Dino Hunter downloaded all the datasheets for Utah and converted them into a GPX file which can be read by programs such as GSAK.

A few people said that was cool of him and a few asked how they can do it.

Dino explains the process

Rogbarn found that some of the benchmarks are listed in the wrong county.

That about sums it up.

If you would like more info on how to do this, here is a pretty good thread.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=84382

I received the following note from Cheryl Malone on Monday concerning the corrections for Utah that I mentioned above on 10/26:

"Thank you for your input and cooperation. You are indeed correct about the proper county for all of the stations you submitted. Your corrections have been sent to Deb Brown for database loading."

edit for spelling.

Edited by rogbarn
Wow! What a great idea. I've collected similar data for PA, but haven't gone so far as to put it up on the web (my web design skills are at a 'hobby' level). If anyone is intested in putting a nice page together, I'm glad to share the data already collected, as well as help collect data for other states.

I have my own dot com; I studied computer science in college. If you'd like I can post the data for you and give you credit for creating it.

Let me know ;).

Thomas B)

My Webpage

I have my own dot com; I studied computer science in college.  If you'd like I can post the data for you and give you credit for creating it.

Well, I've already agreed to help him out on this and post the files on my site. (I probably should have noted that on this thread.) I'd really like to take care of PA since I'm a PA benchmark hunter myself. But if you would like to do any other states, I'd be happy to link to them from my site. Eventually we may be able to provide GPX files for every area where there are people interested in using them.

~Zhanna

http://surveymarks.planetzhanna.com/

Well, I've already agreed to help him out on this and post the files on my site. (I probably should have noted that on this thread.) I'd really like to take care of PA since I'm a PA benchmark hunter myself. But if you would like to do any other states, I'd be happy to link to them from my site. Eventually we may be able to provide GPX files for every area where there are people interested in using them.

Sounds great! I'll look into it. :cool: Perhaps I should do New York, since I've lived here all my life and have found a few here and there.