Out Of State Visitors

Criminal

Ok, Mopar and GeoHo are coming to town and we need to get them a good hike. I’m splitting this out from the other thread because there are too many other discussions there and I’m getting confused. I’m not an expert in the terrific Cascades hike/geocaches, so I’m soliciting help.

What I would like for them to see:

*Moderate hike, 3 to 4 on the terrain, five or six miles round trip, moderate elevation changes.

*As much wilderness as can be obtained in that level of hike

*Trail not too “engineered”. (I thought of Treasure of the Wrath at Bridal Vail Falls, but the stair-casing of the trail takes away from the wilderness experience, IMHO)

*Scenery scenery scenery.

Right now we want to do this on Saturday; I think they’re doing Whidbey Island on Sunday.

What is a good fall-back plan in the event of torrential rain?

Olallie Lake Cache fits that bill. It's wilderness on a maintained trail. I don't remember stairs now, but it sure was a pretty hike going along side a water fall / river / stream for part of it. I DNF'd it but others behind me were able to find it. Round trip is about 6 miles, with moderate elevation gain of about 1600' to the cache. Elevation at the waypoint is at 4000' so snow may become a factor.

I forgot to add, you won't have any vistas to view on this one. It takes you down into a bowl where the lake is at.

Considering I've committed for the Sunday outing, I'll put myself in trouble if I go for Saturday as well, but I will be at the WSGA meeting.

Edited by TotemLake
Hey! Bring them to the tunnel! Belleterre and I are going on Saturday, walking. It's not everywhere you can get a Project Ape icon. Plus, I'm from new Jersey, so it would be like like old home week. The tunnel and the scary ladder make a good one-two punch.

KB

That's not a bad idea. The Iron Horse trail offers several good caches, a unique experience with the tunnel and the Ape cache.

Great hike, though the views are, well, rather dark.

I have biked, hiked, backpacked and even driven through the tunnel, so it is definitely a good trip, but not for views.

Yeah, well, ~if~ you choose that option, we'll be part of the welcoming commitee. Post, or e-mail, we'll firm up when and where. I'm coming from Port Townsend, so it won't be an outrageously early start.

Bloody Fingers, Dirty Diapers is on the menu.

KB

The WSGA meeting is in Kent this Saturday. I (Lucy)  would LOVE to come with you girls.  As the meeting is not logable (is that a word????) any chance that I could talk the guys into the meeting and us girls go have some fun???

Huh? Huh?  :ph34r:  ;)

Are you talking about US girls? That would be so cool. E-mail, or call.

360-531-1553

Girl Power! New Jersey power! Whatever! It's all good.

Hey! Bring them to the tunnel! Belleterre and I are going on Saturday, walking. It's not everywhere you can get a Project Ape icon. Plus, I'm from new Jersey, so it would be like like old home week. The tunnel and the scary ladder make a good one-two punch.

KB

That's not a bad idea. The Iron Horse trail offers several good caches, a unique experience with the tunnel and the Ape cache.

The last log on the APE cache was a not found! I worry about that given how big the container is - it's kind of hard to miss. I sure hope that no one walked off with it.

The last log on the APE cache was a not found!  I worry about that given how big the container is - it's kind of hard to miss.  I sure hope that no one walked off with it.

Ick, I hadn't seen that. Guess we'll have a definitive answer Saturday. We don't give up easily. (Well, we did once, but there was a ferry to catch. Haven't even logged that one yet.)

Yep.

I'm talking about you girls\women.

Lucy

Well thanks, and thanks. It's no more "men" and "girls" than it is "women" and "boys". We're all grown up here.

OK, Woman Power, Man power, New Jersey power, all line up at the tunnel.

Somebody can help me deal with "claustrorphobia power". (Yes, name a phobia, Mrs B has got it)

KB

The last log on the APE cache was a not found! I worry about that given how big the container is - it's kind of hard to miss. I sure hope that no one walked off with it.

I noticed that the last log for the APE cache was a DNF too. But it was posted late for October 16, the same day I had found it. I rode my bike back past the cache around 3 PM (on my way back to my car) and it was happily in its place--not clearly visible from the trail. It was a rainy afternoon without too many people out and about, and hardly an afternoon when I'd want to haul that thing out of there! :ph34r: Since this is probably the last weekend to enjoy the tunnel this season, I think it would be fun to combine some caches on the trail with one of the more difficult hikes nearby.

;)  Looking forward to the hike.  But . . . PLEASE DON'T HURT ME  ;) 

After all . . . I'm just a girl.  :ph34r:

Happy caching and stuff!    :D

Hah! Jersey girls / women can do anything! I know you're tough. The tunnel would be a unique experience, but there are so many wonderful hikes around. Hope you're staying a month. Or forever.

KB

(and yeah, claustrophobia in a tunnel) It's so far to get out. But I'm a Jersey girl, too, and I'm not scared of anything. I've got a Criminal signature tag to prove it. (or remind me, in weak moments)

Happy traveling and STUFF!

KB

OK, I discussed it with Mopar and we’re leaning heavily towards Treasure of the Wrath at Bridal Veil Falls. (Someone with access can provide a link)

The plan is for the party to head up from the trailhead and look for the cache while I head to Lake Serene and hide one there. I’ll pass the coordinates back via radio or just meet everyone who makes it up and tell them. I hear rumor there may even be another cache along that trail, might be in the queue.

If anybody has a better plan or cache, please chime in, the weekend is but three days away.

I think on Sunday we'll plan to meet at the parking area for the Light House Point cache. We'll grab the caches accessable from that parking and then make up the rest of the day as we go. I do plan to finish the day at Ebey Bluffs and just hope the weather gives us a nice sunset.

It's going to take us about 3 hrs to get there so let's plan to meet at 10:00 am. I'd like to make it earlier but 7:00am is the soonest I can reasonably plan on actually being on the road.

BTW there is no foul weather plans other than rain gear.

I think on Sunday we'll plan to meet at the parking area for the Light House Point cache.  We'll grab the caches accessable from that parking and then make up the rest of the day as we go.  I do plan to finish the day at Ebey Bluffs and just hope the weather gives us a nice sunset. 

It's going to take us about 3 hrs to get there so let's plan to meet at 10:00 am.  I'd like to make it earlier but 7:00am is the soonest I can reasonably plan on actually being on the road.

BTW there is no foul weather plans other than rain gear.

Not only does Project Ape have a DNF as the last log, so does Lighthouse Point. Oh, please, let it be there! At the event, I found it and was the last one to have a hand on it. Please, please, please be there.

KB

Here's a link to Treasure of the Wrath

That was a fun cache! I used to go up to Lake Serene that way. Now there is an excellent trail taking you up there.

Lake SereneTrail #1068

Length: 3.5 miles one-way

Season of Use: Late Spring/Summer/Fall

Beginning Elevation: 640 feet

Ending Elevation: 2250 feet

Visitor Use: Extra Heavy

Map(s): Green Trails #142

Level of Difficulty: Most Difficult

Access

Drive State Route 2, turn south at mile marker 35.2 onto the Mt. Index Road. Drive 0.3 mile, and bear right. Continue 600 feet to parking area on the left.

Attractions & Considerations

The trail begins by following an old logging road for 1.6 miles to where it joins the newly constructed portion of the trail. Here, you begin a series of switchbacks and steps climbing toward Lake Serene. Follow signs for a side trip to Bridal Veil Falls, or continue to the lake.

The area is day-use only. No campfires are permitted.

A Northwest Forest Pass is required for each vehicle parked at the trailhead.

Length: 3.5 miles one-way

Beginning Elevation: 640 feet

Ending Elevation: 2250 feet

Difficulty: Most Difficult

Trail descriptions like this sure make me wonder about who does the rating. An elevation gain of 1410 in 3.5 miles is a cake-walk, yet they rate it 'most difficult'? Or did they leave out a part about crossing over a 5000 foot ridge?

OK, I discussed it with Mopar and we’re leaning heavily towards Treasure of the Wrath at Bridal Veil Falls.

So is this the Saturday hike, or the Sunday hike?

Time and place?

Just for clarification... The Treasure of Wrath hike is Saturday - details to be worked out.

Whidbey is Sunday @ 10 AM meeting at the lighthouse TH.

Dinner and... BEER at the Pyramid Alehouse, Brewery AND Restaurant afterward?

I may just show up for the victuals beings as I don't do RAIN under the best of conditions. With the temps dropping well below what could be considered 'best' conditions, it's a fair bet I don't do it then either.

Warm fire and a blanket, anyone?

Oh wait... it's only fall, NOT winter! Disregard.

-=-

michelle