Indy Cache Recommendations

Team Neos

OK, I admit, I was foolish before...even knowing that I would be back to Indy a few times this year, I closed the last thread that I started on this same topic several monthas ago. (Sorry!)

Going to Indy early next month for the area Science convention, and will there there a couple of days. I think I just might be able to convince the head of the department to try a few caches with me after the convention since his wife own't be going this trip.

Any recommendations for nifty caches near downtown? Or maybe out toward the Spaghetti Factory? Or even our toward the east end...Heck, ones that are easy to get to for out-of-towners. I was born in Indy, but don't really know my way around there these days.

Thanks!

There are several good caches downtown, most are micros or virtuals. Try Anne's Triple play, 92 Counties, Time of a different kind, Prominade, Medal of Honor, Big Bridge. The canal area is a safe and clean area and most of these caches are near there.

These sound like good fun.

Any not too much further away that you recommend as "don't miss" attractions?

I will have the head of the department with me, and I am campaigning for GPSr units for the classroom---so I want to make sure that he has a really great first caching experience!

There are several good caches downtown, most are micros or virtuals. Try Anne's Triple play, 92 Counties, Time of a different kind, Prominade, Medal of Honor, Big Bridge. The canal area is a safe and clean area and most of these caches are near there.

These sound like good fun.

Any not too much further away that you recommend as "don't miss" attractions?

I will have the head of the department with me, and I am campaigning for GPSr units for the classroom---so I want to make sure that he has a really great first caching experience!

You might try 'His Favorite Niece'. It's a virt not far from downtown. There is an excellent view of the city.

Bluespreacher

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. The head of the science department and I did manage to catch a few caches on the trip. Didn't get to many of the suggested ones, but I did convince him to try out caching on the way to dinner. The first one we tried, Your Arc, was a no find--well it was windy and dark and his first time and we were a long way from where we planned to eat.

Then we tried Berkely's Woods along the river---When I realized that it was actually gonna involve going into the brush along the river, I had no doubts that the Mad Scientist would follow along, but he was game for adventure and trailed right in after me. I think he may have doubted my sanity, until we found the cache, and then he was having fun. We found that one, and then headed off to Sign of the Times, since it was so close to where we planned to eat. He found that one and was impressed with himself.

He asked me again how much GPSr units costs, and we talked about caching with kids etc...Think we might have a new cacher.

I thought when I was reading my cache logs the other night that I recognized the name Neos from somewhere..but couldn't put my finger on it. Now I remember this thread. I hadn't suggested any of my caches because they are generally far north of the downtown area you were looking for. And as it turned out, you did two of mine. Glad you enjoyed them. Hope your friend joins the hobby. :unsure:

I thought when I was reading my cache logs the other night that I recognized the name Neos from somewhere..but couldn't put my finger on it. Now I remember this thread. I hadn't suggested any of my caches because they are generally far north of the downtown area you were looking for. And as it turned out, you did two of mine. Glad you enjoyed them. Hope your friend joins the hobby. :anibad:

Yes, thanks, he did enjoy the caches, very much so. I didn't know that we would be going that way either, but he suggested eating at the Cheescake Factory, and since I knew they would have Pumpkin Cheescake this time of year I quickly agreed!

We stopped by the creek cache before dinner, and I have to admit that I wondered if that was a good idea---It was already dark and all I had was a small flashlight (a bright one , though, thanks goodness). We parked in the lot and headed toward the cache. I got the the edge of the brush and the GPSr still said 70 feet to go. It was obviously downhill, but who knew how steep or how far it was to the creek? But I looked around a bit an found an "almost path" that looked like it went the right way and plunged right in. I thought that Brian would back out on me then, but he followed right behind me. He was actually quite game, and seemed eager to see how that whole process works. Luckily we found it reasonably quickly (5 minutes? 10?) and it had pretty cool stuff in it (good stuff to sell a family man on caching with kids) and neither of us fell in the creek so we could still make dinner.

I think finding the other one sealed the deal, as he found it first. After that he started asking me again how much GPSr units costs and how to find the website and whether people take their kids caching etc. When we got back to the hotel he called his wife and told her how much fun he had...

Sorry if I confused anyone with the duel names. Team Neos is the account that my husband and I use together. We plan to benchmark hunt under this account and to put all of our joint hides under this moniker. It is also the account we used for membership. Neos 2 is also me, and the husband is Neos 1--we use those separate accounts to log regular caches under. I think of myself as "Neos2 of Team Neos"--I dunno, maybe that is confusing to others, but it lets us log accurately even though we don't always cache together.