Garmin Intros The Color Gps V!

Criminal

Am I the only one who wants this? Garmin VI or VIICS....come on Garmin, make it happen!

I think you're the only one delusional enough to want a new GPS and to continue to hold out for this MYTHICAL "VC" or whatever the h e l l you think they're gonna call it.

Altho I must admit I do like how crunchy new those V buttons feel when the GPS hasn't been used very much. Low-numbered finders have GPS' like that, you know... and I can't even imagine why they'd want to upgrade.

-=-

michelle

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

I agree there's a tiny whole in their lineup between the high-end handhelds (76C/60C) and Quest, but I don't think it's a huge one. Given that they now have units about every $30 apart from $100 to $600, there just has to be a saturation point in there somewhere...

For discussions sake, put on your product manager hat and describe what's wrong with, say, 76C or Quest and what it would take to get you to whip out your checkbook, what you'd be willing to pay, and why the model you're proposing would sell a zillion units.

I hear they are still perfecting the "telepathic interface" and that is holding up the production.

I guess during testing, an employee twisted his ankle on a rock, yelled out "Ah S***" and the prototype changed the navigation route to the nearest outhouse.

Another issue occured in heavy traffic where a tester was cut off by another driver and screamed "You F***in' B****" and the device autorouted him home.

"It is the association in the mind" said Garmin lead developer "that is causing the problems. We all get mental images during strong emotion and the new interface tries to interpret them. We initally expected to have this feature take people to the local steak jount or fast food drive-through based on their hunger feelings, but we discovered that the human mind is quite a tough thing to read."

The developer then gave an account of the wife of a Garmin CEO who was led to the local strip club on a wrongly interpreted emotional response, although the developer did not mention the emotion that caused the reaction.

Still, Garmin has high hopes for the new device. "We just need to teach it that people don't really mean what they think."

10,000 waypoints.

Enough memor for all the maps you cold ever want to stick in it. For the modes.

Multimodal mode. If you are flying it shoud have an "Aviation Mode" where those features are brought to the forfront. Then a "Geocaching Mode" and a Boating mode. etc.

And certainly not least it should offer bluetooth.

The GPS Vc or VI is a GPS meant to route, hike, fly, boat etc. It's the one size fits all GPS for users who use their GPS where ever they might want to go.

Give me the massive memory, 10,000 waypoints, and bluetooth as feature above and beyond the 76C and it would have everything I'd want though.

What makes you want those upgrades in a V form-factor though? Rather than just in general to an existing unit.

I think given the choice between a V and a 60C format - I'd choose the 60C. Is there something great about the V that's not obvious and that we're all missing out on?

Landscape/Profile mode

Form factor

BNC antenna mount (more sturdy than the one on the 60)

I think one feature of the V is the optional landscape mode of the screen so you can lay it on its side on the dashboard. And there's the detour feature of the V's autorouting that ain't happening on the newer units.

I don't think it's any one great thing that's missing - just a lot of little ones.

I couldn't wait any longer so I got a 76CS. Works great!! Since most everything I had for the V (including CS) worked with the 76CS, I didn't need to make a HUGE investment and just got the mount for the 76CS to go into the portable mount. Edit: And I also got the BNC/MCX adapter for my external antenna (which I probably didn't need but why not).

The only 2 things I wish it could do that it can't are:

a) operate horizontally or vertically

;) smaller display of the data fields when navigating. 4 data fields it takes up 1/2 of the screen which is just silly and I like having distance to next turn, time at next turn, distance to final and time at final displayed.

Otherwise, the 76CS is awesome!

Edited by Team DEMP
I just purchased the 60cs and allmost fell off the chair. Gulp.

To be honest I consider the 60CS to be the COLOR GPS V.

I mean it's got everything the GPSV has and more.

Never cared for the Detour feature of the V -- really didn't work for me.

As far as the Landscape mode, I'll have to admit that was a BIG DEAL for me when first getting my 60CS. Now it's hard to remember why?

Don't miss it all.

Edited by jollybgood

As a new City Select user, I do share a beef with Team DEMP; having to turn on a data field so you can see the distance to the next turn does indeed blow about half the screen. (This is one of the few things that Magellan got 'more right' with DirectRoute on the Meridians and Garmin did with City Select and their firmware.)

What's wrong with Quest? It's pretty close to the V's FF and has the landscape screen. (I can't tell if it's switchable since my version of acroread won't render their manual...)

On BNC vs. MCX, if you need an external antenna in a situation where the unit is going to be moved enough that mechanical durability is an issue, you're fighting the wrong battle.

RK, put on your product manager hat. Now that you know what licensing & development costs are, how much it would cost to QA successive versions of a combined product like that, knowing that the needs in a plane are different than the needs of a backpacker, how much of a difference volume makes in product pricing, what would you be willing to pay for the unit you described?

I owned a V for more than one year and loved it (except for that measley 19MB of map storage and slow serial data transfer). Switching from the V to a 60C, I thought I'd really miss the landscape mode of the V. Well, I got used to it pretty quick. Now I have a Quest and it's landscape mode only (not switchable, robertlipe). Now it seems that I prefer portrait mode as on the 60C since you can see approx 1.5 times the distance ahead of you at the same zoom level. Still, the Quest is very usable and has some great features like area avoidance and road avoidance. Here in SoCal, some freeways are pointless to even get on at certain times of the day (55 fwy south/Newport Blvd. into Newport Beach on a Saturday afternoon is one) and being able to set up multiple avoidances is really great. I love both units though and both see about equal useage. One thing I hate about the Quest is that it won't beep through the GPS while the 12v power is running the unit. If you're pluged into 12v, the unit will use voice guidance only and no beeps. Since I don't care for the voice guidance, I turn it off within the GPS. The only way to have the GPS beep through the unit for upcoming turns is to unplug it from 12v and run off the battery....pretty silly. ;) Hopefully, this will be corrected in a software update.

Edited by SergZak
Am I the only one who wants this? Garmin VI or VIICS....come on Garmin, make it happen!

I'd like them to at least double the memory, half the state just isn't good enough for some reason ;) (and speed it up a little bit so it draws fast with more memory).

I don't care much one way or the other, colors good, but I wouldn't want it if it really sucked batteries. Because I want them to stay with 'standard' sized cells, no special lithum power paks, no sealed inside the unit stuff!

What's wrong with Quest? It's pretty close to the V's FF and has the landscape screen. (I can't tell if it's switchable since my version of acroread won't render their manual...)

Internal Battery, Not Replacable. Your batteries go dead on the top of the mountain, you get back down without your GPS because you can't put in fresh ones.

Internal Patch Antenna and NO external Antenna Port ;)

The Patch Antenna and the Internal Batteries are still deal killers for me

I agree that the internal battery is killer for geocachers out there, but if the unit is used as it's being marketed (mainly as a very small, portable automotive nav unit), there is pretty much no problem. The battery charges when it's plugged into 12v so it's pretty much always topped-off. I would much rather have had standard AA's so I could swap them at will but there is no way they could've fit them in there and kept the size as small as it is. I agree though that this should not be considered as the GPS V replacement...but it suits my needs just fine (with the exception of a few dumb quirks like the voice nav/unit beep while connected to 12v that I mentioned above).

Edited by SergZak
Internal Patch Antenna and NO external Antenna Port  ;)

The Quest does have an external antenna port right next to the USB port...I'm looking at it right now. :lol:

Ok, I stand corrected on the Antenna Port.

The Patch Antenna and the Internal Batteries are still deal killers for me

Add it's not built for hiking, and it looks like if you drop it off a truck at cruising speed it would break like a PDA to the list of why it's not a GPS V replacment.

...RK, put on your product manager hat. Now that you know what licensing & development costs are, how much it would cost to QA successive versions of a combined product like that, knowing that the needs in a plane are different than the needs of a backpacker, how much of a difference volume makes in product pricing, what would you be willing to pay for the unit you described?

You need a marketing study to really know the demand. However I'll admit if you don't get a sizeable chunk of the marget segments it won't make sence to have the modes. Still if you did have a Good all around GPS and the modes option did work and capture market it would be better than having 3 or 4 different high end GPS units. You may not save much in firmware development but the tooling and desing costs of different units would be cut drasticly.

Clearly there are people not sold on the 60 or the 76 upgrades. I consider them a nice step in the right direction but falling short of what they should have done. Eventually Garmin will make the next killer GPS and we laggards will buy it and a lot of 60 users will upgrade again. Two upgrades is better for Garmin than one in that regard 'baby steps' is good business.

So many crazy limitations of all the GPS units, where non of them are just right.

If Magellan created a Meridian with a USB port built-in I would get that GPS, but if Garmin made something like a Meridian, that used memory cards in something like a 76C, I would get that thing.

I liked my GPS V units, but find that the 60C is too tall for use on my dashboard.

Edited by GOT GPS?
So many crazy limitations of all the GPS units, where non of them are just right.

If Magellan created a Meridian with a USB port built-in I would get that GPS, but if Garmin made something like a Meridian, that used memory cards in something like a 76C, I would get that thing.

I liked my GPS V units, but find that the 60C is too tall for use on my dashboard.

I got a 60CS last week and love it. Though the V's landscape/portrait orietation made sense for that unit, it wouldn't for the 60 because you're unlikely to use it laying on its side.

I find it fits perfectly into the cell phone clip that I had on my dashboard, so I have it right in front of me, next to my steering wheel. I do need to find another spot for my cell phone however.

As mentioned by RK, I also like the idea of “profiles”, where selecting a certain user loaded profile would change the page preferences across the board. If these were user created, we could name one “Flying” and have the units change to nautical miles, and the data fields change to whatever you decide are appropriate for flying. Another could be “Biking”, with all the pages set up for that activity.

Another feature that might help with the memory issue is including a USB port, the type that is on your computer (input) and the regular output USB port. This would allow you to transfer files from a pen drive or possibly even an IPOD or other HDD portable device.

While we’re dreaming, any other features (realistic) that you’d like to see? Garmin has stated in the past that they will not include a memory card slot due to moisture permeability issues, so that one is off the table.

Garmin has stated in the past that they will not include a memory card slot due to moisture permeability issues, so that one is off the table.

Whoever said this at Garmin should have a talk with the folks who designed their Street Pilot series. Both the original series (SP, SPCM, SP III) and the newer 26xx series have slots for memory cards yet also have the same IPX7 waterproof rating as the GPS V.

OK then, how about a factory memory upgrade on units. Heck, I'd pay $100 to upgrade the memory on a good unit that only needs more space. Cheaper than spending $500 for the latest and greatest. Now, that might sound counter to Garmin's business, but I think there is still enough new 'feature' content that could drive new unit sales while those upgrades would keep a secondary revenue stream going.

Easier Map Flip. Press and hold enter button to bring up map list and then select. Or better yet, assign a map source to the "On Road" and "Off Road" selections. So anytime you "Go To" someplace On-Road, it selects one map system and if you "Go To" someplace Off-Road, it selects another.

Have type switch. Be able to quickly switch from "On-Road" to "Off-Road" without having to reselect the waypoint. Or better yet, define the mapping type on a route. ie. From here to Waypoint 1 is On-Road and from Waypoint 1 to the cache is off-road.

Allow "Current direction" as in "Rt 95 to Exit 6" on the multiple field page.

On map page, allow default display along with 2 data fields.

Be able to select total ascent as a field.

Garmin has stated in the past that they will not include a memory card slot due to moisture permeability issues, so that one is off the table.

Whoever said this at Garmin should have a talk with the folks who designed their Street Pilot series. Both the original series (SP, SPCM, SP III) and the newer 26xx series have slots for memory cards yet also have the same IPX7 waterproof rating as the GPS V.

Is moisture a problem with certain magellan units? :)