Datacache?

rescue557

:anitongue: Has anybody done this before? Has anybody put CD-ROMS and related data material in a Geocache before? I thought it might be a neat idea to create a physical cache full of new or slightly used (yet still legal) copies of software, data, etc.

Any ideas? Are there any nerdy people left in this world that might actually be interested in such a cache?

I actually thought of making a multi-stage cache of different cd-cases, where each case was a stage, and you'd take a cd and the cd would have the clue you'd need.

Well, when I ran the idea past a few friends, they told me that alot of people wouldn't be so quick to put a CD of questionable origination into their computer because of all the viruses and crap out there...

I actually thought of making a multi-stage cache of different cd-cases, where each case was a stage, and you'd take a cd and the cd would have the clue you'd need.

Well, when I ran the idea past a few friends, they told me that alot of people wouldn't be so quick to put a CD of questionable origination into their computer because of all the viruses and crap out there...

I might not put your friends CD's into my computer but I would trust a TeamK-9 CD. I'd scan it just the same but that's just good policy.

There are plenty of people out there with hand me down computers who would like old software. I'm not sure if those people are cachers or not. My dad is one of them. He's built out of other people junk plenty of computers but every last one of them is an OS revision behind. For him that kind of cache would make his day.

I would happily visit and trade at a cache with a theme of legal CDs and software. I wouldn't likely take or trade anything that wasn't the original product.

I thought at one time of making CDs with legal/public domain pictures, backgrounds, music, screensavers etc. to leave in caches, but I then figured that many people would be wary of such a thing and they might just rot in the caches, so I decided not to. I would maybe take one of those from a cache but I would want to know that it wasn't an illegal copy and I sure would virus scan it first!

.... but I would want to know that it wasn't an illegal copy and I sure would virus scan it first!

I agree with your take on this but I believe the user licenses on most mapping software prohibits this unless it's still in the heat shrinked package (unopened). Personally I think you should be able to sell or give away any software you no longer use and don't have any copies of..

.... but I would want to know that it wasn't an illegal copy and I sure would virus scan it first!

I agree with your take on this but I believe the user licenses on most mapping software prohibits this unless it's still in the heat shrinked package (unopened). Personally I think you should be able to sell or give away any software you no longer use and don't have any copies of..

Well, yes. That is an argument in and of itself. I tend to agree/like the idea that a license should be transferable by including original disks/CDS, but I see why it is a huge concern because who is to know whether the person leaving it made a copy first! The joy of coyright issues! I try to stay "legal" which is why I am a little wary of such caches or of leaving something media based in a cache.

Edited by carleenp
I thought at one time of making CDs with legal/public domain pictures, backgrounds, music, screensavers etc. to leave in caches, but I then figured that many people would be wary of such a thing and they might just rot in the caches, so I decided not to.

brdad did (does?) something similar, making a CD of pictures he took around Maine, and leaving them in caches. I think the CD's are fairly popular.

Since I started caching, I've been leaving CDs of astronomy freeware that I've compiled. The CDs contain no shareware, viruses, or spyware. Yep, they're popular, often the very next item traded out of the cache. It took hours and hours to compile the disk (there are screenshots and descriptions of each program, and I tested each program on my own computer). But once that's done, blank CDs in hard cases are only 50 cents.

Best Wishes,

Bob

Dave Ulmar the ORGIOAL geocache put software in his first cache so it is NOT a new idea but one going back to your roots, LOL. I had thought of doing a CD with pictures etc once but then who would trust putting it in their computer hmmmmm................ Nice idea but we live in a differant world now it would be nice to think we can trus ALL geocachers but we can't.

cheers