Secret Handshakes

Spiritnip

This has probably already been brought up somewhere, but I was wondering if there had been a discussion about any certain hand signal, gesture etc... that one cacher could give another if they saw each other and suspected the other of caching.

Basically, I was out playing with my family in a park where there are a couple of caches. I see a guy with 2 kids behind him and and GPSr in hand heading in to the bush. Later I see that someone posted a DNF on that cache. If we had been able to identify each other, I might have been able to help. Or he might have felt comfortable asking for a hint. I would always rather have an extra hint in the field as opposed to posting a DNF.

any opinions?

Um... well we met some yesterday... I said "Hi! You wouldn't be geocachers would you?". They said "yes" and we did a no-find and a further hunt (found) together. It wasn't that hard.

I don't think a non-cacher would say "yes" or get upset if you asked them. They'd just say "no" and maybe go and look it up when they got home?

Cheers,

Stu

I could have gone over and talked to these people but we were playing disc golf and he was about 50ft away and there were other people around. I like the hand gesture thing. You wouldn't have to have verbal contact that way. Just a "hey, hollar if you need help" type gesture.

Unfortunately I'm not in NJ so dancing would probably just let other geocachers know that I don't have any rythym :D

Generally around here if I see another geocacher, I walk up and say " I don't think you will get your call through on your unit" and then they say, oh, you must be a geocacher. If you are talking to your unit to confuse the muggles, only a cacher would challenge you. I don't know if it is everywhere but around here, if somethinks they are caught they start talking to their unit like a cell phone.

GPS or no, you can usually spot a cacher by noticing that they are looking at stuff that most people don't pay any attention to, in places most people don't go. If I see someone like that, I usually just say "Howdy! Did you find it?" If they seem to have any clue what I'm asking, they are geocachers, and I just tell 'em my name. Pretty simple.

You can put your hand on your chin. Also if youre in New Jersey, ask briansnat for the secret dance thingy.

This started in NJ, but has taken the nation by storm. I've encountered cachers throughtout the US doing it. It goes like this:

When meeting somone you think might be a geocacher you yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I a geocacher am I".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". This should continue for no less than 3 minutes.

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". This should continue for no less than 3 minutes.

Note to self: If approached by BrianSnat, run away. Run far away.

GPS or no, you can usually spot a cacher by noticing that they are looking at stuff that most people don't pay any attention to, in places most people don't go. If I see someone like that, I usually just say "Howdy! Did you find it?" If they seem to have any clue what I'm asking, they are geocachers, and I just tell 'em my name. Pretty simple.

Two of the three times, I encountered fellow geocachers, they were looking in places only a geocacher would go. They also noticed me and tried to act inconspicuous.

I approached them and said, "you must be geocaching."

Here is my log where I had an interesting encounter with a fellow geocacher.

I pull up to find this cache on a Sunday afternoon. There is a vehicle near the cache with a lady sitting there. Not wanting to give up the cache location to a "muggle" I sat in my car to wait for here to leave. I was looking in her direction and she in mine. Finally she looked down for a minute and I was able to grab the cache un-noticed. I took it to my car sign to sign the log and to wait the "lady" out.

We played cat and mouse for about 5 minutes until I spied here GPS. I did not know at first but she was waiting for me to leave so she could find the cache.

Here is my log where I had an interesting encounter with a fellow geocacher.

I pull up to find this cache on a Sunday afternoon. There is a vehicle near the cache with a lady sitting there. Not wanting to give up the cache location to a "muggle" I sat in my car to wait for here to leave. I was looking in her direction and she in mine. Finally she looked down for a minute and I was able to grab the cache un-noticed. I took it to my car sign to sign the log and to wait the "lady" out.

We played cat and mouse for about 5 minutes until I spied here GPS. I did not know at first but she was waiting for me to leave so she could find the cache.

be careful with that around the pickle parks, LOL

Since I like to where hats, I take my Geocaching floppy hat with me when we go out ( I see that they do not sell these anymore, too bad ). The cachers whom I run into know about the logo and stop to talk. The rest of the people have no idea why I am prawling through the bushes so they leave me alone.

Oilman

Recently I was driving in town past a cache I had done a while back when I saw two ladies kind of looking suspicious (though trying hard not to). So I drove around the block and parked 50 feet from them so as not to look threatening. After observing them for a little while to make sure they were cachers....I got out of my car and approached them. The obvious...."are you guys caching?" seemed to work. They laughed because they saw me coming and were afraid! HA

...I usually just say "Howdy! Did you find it?" If they seem to have any clue what I'm asking, they are geocachers...

"Find it yet?" Seems to be the call-out, here in Dallas. I've used it a few times as well as had it asked of me. Of course, these were on those rare occations that I was out in the daytime--LOL.

Being the newbie I am, recently I was out on a hunt in a park near my house in Anchorage. While searching for a cache along a river bed I discovered I was on the wrong side entirely and began moving northbound to cross when I could. As I was trudging along the cell phone rang, a buddy back in NC needing advice on negotiating the price of a new car.

I obliged, continued treking along in the forest talking about interest rates, invoice prices and holdback money when I saw that I was nearing another cache I had planned on doing after the one I'd originally set out to find. I continued, and as I got closer I noticed a large bright orange and white jacket moving through the trees in the direction my GPSr was telling me to go. He saw me, did a quick little search, and then passed me along the trail.

Not wanting to arouse any suspicion, I walked off the trail toward the river past the cache by about a hundred feet or so. I am still on the phone mind you. I turn around, thinking it was safe to head back only to find the orange and white jacket back, and closer than before. So I continued talking, waiting for him to do whatever it was he was doing (at this point I wasn't sure.)

Tired of being patient, I ended my phone call and made my way over; I'm thinking you and I are looking for the same thing? I asked. He had already found it, he informed me. My GPS had settled by now and I found a tree that I took to be the spot, so I began looking, dropping the GPS into my coat pocket and talking with my new geocaching friend - first mistake.

I looked for a good thirty minutes, talkng all the while about local caches we'd done or be done in by when he finally said 'I think you worked that tree over pretty good.'

Huh?

It's not in that tree superpowerdave, he said with a smirk.

DOH!

So I made myself a new rule; next time I run into a cacher and we're going for the same cache I hunt with intelligence and keep the GPS handy! In hindsight though, it must have been hilarious for him to stand there, having already found it, watching me tear a part of the park apart for nothing.

You can put your hand on your chin. Also if youre in New Jersey, ask briansnat for the secret dance thingy.

I am absolutely cracking up here. You know, as someone who knows sign language, that hand shape of the finger under the chin is the shape of the letter "L" in ASL.

And when you place the "L" it under the chin like that, it becomes the sign language equivalent of the word "Lesbian."

So I guess I'd just be careful who you're doing it to, lol.

The funny graphic of the man doing it with one raised eyebrow seems to say, "Hmmmm... is she one?"

Just had to share. There is more of a "secret" to the secret handshake than you realize!

You can put your hand on your chin.  Also if youre in New Jersey, ask briansnat for the secret dance thingy.

I am absolutely cracking up here. You know, as someone who knows sign language, that hand shape of the finger under the chin is the shape of the letter "L" in ASL.

And when you place the "L" it under the chin like that, it becomes the sign language equivalent of the word "Lesbian."

So I guess I'd just be careful who you're doing it to, lol.

The funny graphic of the man doing it with one raised eyebrow seems to say, "Hmmmm... is she one?"

Just had to share. There is more of a "secret" to the secret handshake than you realize!

Thats funny. My mom works as an ASL interpreter. She has seen me d othat a lot before and never mentioned it. Man and I thought "we can talk about anything."!!! :D

\/

\/

:D

I was thinking more along the line of using the all time favorite answer from a Muggle that asks, "What'ca doing there?" *this works on so many levels.*

I simply smile and point at the underbrush/tree/path.

"I'm hunting snipe!"

Most of them just grin and leave me alone. A few even offer to point out where a few of these 'snipes' may be 'hiding'.

"Here's your sign!"

As for sign language...Change the 'L' sign to that of raised eyebrows, grin like a mad man while screaming, "I'll get you my pretty!" and any geocacher will know who you are and what's your doing. Little children will just scream and run away.

And I've seen people using their GPSr as a cellphone. I now know why I've never heard them ring. All this time I thought, "Wow! They must really love the vibrate feature on those phones."

Cache On!

it's pretty obvious when someone else is a cacher, I was out caching while it was snowing and headed to a new cache placed just the day before, when I got there I saw a SUV parked there, who else would be in a cemetary in the snow than a geocacher? He started heading back to his vehicle when I pulled in, but I yelled out "geocacher?" and he realized it was fine lol

One area where some of my caches are hidden, I pass everyday on my way to class, I always watch for cachers in the area as I go by.

Ok, here's how it goes:

1) Approach each other with right hands outstretched in the traditional handshake fashion.(*see note below)

2) Plant your right foot within 24-inches of your fellow's right foot. This will be to the INSIDE of each other's right feet.

3) Tip forward extending your right hand past your fellow while extending your left leg out behind you.

4) Keep your left leg and back in a straight line as you pivot on your right hip socket only.

5) Just before you fall over completely, catch the outstretched left ankle of your fellow as he/she will undoubtedly will catch yours.

6) Shake each other's ankles vigorously.

7) Release is a simple matter of pushing off each other's ankles simultaneously.

Sniffing during the shake is considered impolite.

(*Note: Just before initiating stage 2, above, if your fellow is reaching for your hand, a muggle-style hand-shake will ensue)

Ok, here's how it goes:

1) Approach each other with right hands outstretched in the traditional handshake fashion.(*see note below)

2) Plant your right foot within 24-inches of your fellow's right foot. This will be to the INSIDE of each other's right feet.

3) Tip forward extending your right hand past your fellow while extending your left leg out behind you.

4) Keep your left leg and back in a straight line as you pivot on your right hip socket only.

5) Just before you fall over completely, catch the outstretched left ankle of your fellow as he/she will undoubtedly will catch yours.

7) Release is a simple matter of pushing off each other's ankles simultaneously.

(*Note: Just before initiating stage 2, above, if your fellow is reaching for your hand, a muggle-style hand-shake will ensue)

NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!

I'm refering this to the Minister of silly walks

Ok, here's how it goes:

I can't seem to find the picture!

Ok, here's how it goes:

556635.jpg

Ok, here's how it goes:

556635.jpg

Not that one, the one where they shake each other's ankles

I recently met another cacher while going after a cache. I and my #2 son were looking for an offset micro in a parking lot. We pulled up at the co-ords in a fairly empty parking lot, and noticed a guy nearby that kept giving us the hairy-eyeball and seemed to be talking on a cellphone. Then I noticed his "cellphone" was a garmin gecko. #2 son was in the back set asking to decode the clue, and the the guy said to me "What was that?", to which I answered " I think we're looking for the same thing." and flashed my Magellan.

We got out introduced ourselves and with a little cooperation we found the cache.

I recently met another cacher while going after a cache. I and my #2 son were looking for an offset micro in a parking lot. We pulled up at the co-ords in a fairly empty parking lot, and noticed a guy nearby that kept giving us the hairy-eyeball and seemed to be talking on a cellphone. Then I noticed his "cellphone" was a garmin gecko. #2 son was in the back set asking to decode the clue, and the the guy said to me "What was that?", to which I answered " I think we're looking for the same thing." and flashed my Magellan.

We got out introduced ourselves and with a little cooperation we found the cache.

Careful about that. In certain parks and rest areas, if you tell some stranger that "I think we're looking for the same thing" you might be in for a surprise :) .

We had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago. We were walking up tp a grouping of trees and saw two guys climbing around the trees. We kind of whispered to each other "oh, shoot- there's someone over there", and were trying to casually wander near them to see if they were there for the same reason we were. As we kind of meandered over towards the trees, one of the guys looked down at us and said "I can't find it anywhere!"

:)

I assumed at that point that we were either looking for the same thing, or there was yet another thing in the trees I should be searching for!

Watching someone with a GPSr digging through the bushes is usually sufficient evidence for me. :anibad:

Ditto. I've only encountered fellow GCers twice in the field, both times we knew we were both caching. I simple 'showing each other our GPSr' was enought. :lol:

I have yet to encounter a fellow GCer in the field where either one or the other of us weren't caching. I have yet to be approached by muggles asking what the h*ll I was doing. (I have brochures in my pack for that).