New players to the game

Guest Co

Hey all

Well, I read an article on AOL this morning and now 17 hours later, we have purchased a GPS unit (Garmin GPS III+) and have found listings for a number of Caches in our area. We are going to attempt a few easy ones tomorrow and see what we can find. I think the biggest challenge is going to be learning how to use the GPS. It all seems soooooo confusing. But we will perservere. Our goal is to place our own cache with some friends in the coming weeks. So if you are in Virginia and see a very confused group of fun people wandering in the forests and wilderness areas, please say hi and maybe point us in the right direction icon_smile.gif

Hope to meet some of you!

Dave and Chris (aka Dep&Uno)

Guest gstrong1

that some of the other units have, but when it comes down to what it's all about, locating the object of your quest, you won't find a much more reliable unit at any cost.And it's very easy to use.You'll see a lot of neat places that you never knew existed,though you probably drove by them 100 times.And on cache hunts & on these forums, you'll meet a lot of great folks that will be more than willing to assist you with any questions or problems you encounter. Again, welcome & happy caching! icon_biggrin.gif.-Gimpy-

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest Sluggo

WELCOME to your new addiction. Yep! That's what I said, addiction. You are going through (this minute) what dozens of people a day have been going through fot the last year or so. Just dig in and have fun. One thing I would advise you about is: If you don't already have some basic navigation skills, then learn about basic navigation at the same time you learn to use the GPSR. The GPSR will get you there but if it breaks, you gotta get yourself back. HAVE FUN! And, BTW, GO TO SLEEP, You are getting circles under your eyes! icon_wink.gif

Guest Chris Juricich

Yeah, it's an addiction I suppose.

As with you, as soon as I heard of the concept from my wife, I'd scoped out prices and features and had bought my GPS (eTrex) within a few days. Have already logged 4-5 successes and one failure.

But welcome-- it's a lot of fun!

Chris J

3 weeks doing it only!

Guest kellytklp

Like Dave and Chris, we are new to the sport/hobby. We saw an article on the web and being curious about all things technical we thought we would dive in. We ordered a Garmin Map76 that should arrive on Monday; I wouldn?t be surprised if we give it a try Monday evening. Any comments regarding this unit would be appreciated.

I was really surprised to find the number of Cache?s in my local area. We are already thinking abut locations where we might contribute. The whole family is excited to give this a try.

What a fabulous idea!

Happy hunting!

Thanks,

Terry

Guest Cache-potato

quote:
Originally posted by kellytklp:

We ordered a Garmin Map76 that should arrive on Monday

Excellent choice of units! I currently have a 12map but had I not bought it 4 months ago I think I would own a Map76.

Good luck you're gonna have a blast!

[This message has been edited by Cache-potato (edited 28 July 2001).]

Guest makaio

Welcome to the game. I graduated Herndon High in '78 so I know your area well. I was just there in June visiting relatives and bagged a few caches while there (Balls Bluff, Poplar Town, and Richard Jones Park). You're gonna love this game. I'll be sure to look for some of your caches next time I'm back in town.