Multi Cache

CompuCash

I am setting out a 4 stage multi-tomorrow (I hope if it does't rain on me) -

In my past mulit's I have only put waypoints in the stages to get to the next stage -

For this one each stage has a log book. So how do I do this so that the finders can log 4 caches. I really don't want to create 4 separate cache pages -

I'm thinking one cache page and one log for each section ( A B C D),

each stage has a number in it that must be part of the log on-line.

For this one each stage has a log book. So how do I do this so that the finders can log 4 caches. I really don't want to create 4 separate cache pages -

Why would you want to do this? It's only ONE cache, is it not? Why complicate the matter.

I think, if you want to give them 4 "finds" then you should give them 4 caches. Just my opinion.

For this one each stage has a log book.  So how do I do this so that  the finders can log 4 caches.  I really don't want to create 4 separate cache pages -

Why would you want to do this? It's only ONE cache, is it not? Why complicate the matter.

I think, if you want to give them 4 "finds" then you should give them 4 caches. Just my opinion.

you have a point -

If you wish the finders to have the option to log each leg just put a note on the cache page.

Due to the distance involved with this cache we gave them that option. Most have chosen to make a single find log, but as the cache owner it is our choice to make that offer.

The usual rules for logging a cache say 'if you sign the logbook then it is a find'. 4 logbooks = 4 finds, if they choose to do so.

Have fun with it.

John

Perhaps this is getting into yet another type of cache?

Not so much a multi w/ stages, but rather connected individual caches.

In that case I could see the point to allowing a "find" for each leg of the cache since each leg is a cache on its own. Otherwise it still seems nonsensical to me to log stages of a single cache as finds.

However as stated by the two old farts -- it is your decision as the owner as to what you want to allow.

This game seems to have a lot of "make them up as you go along" rules. Very inconsistant and problematic.

I did a cache here a couple years ago that is as you've described. It was called "Feel the Need for Greed" and was set up like the game show. You found the $100,00 cache for coords to the $250,000 ........ For that one, they said it was OK to log a find for each seperate stage as each one had its own log book.

There was no trick to it, though. There was one, single cache with the coords to the first stage and the description of the series. Every time you found one of the stages, you simply logged another find on that same main cache. You simply added the stage name (number) in your log.

You, as the owner of the cache, get to determine how many times a person may log your cache; or in this case, each stage of your cache.

So if you want to make a 4-stage multi-cache, with a log book in each one, you can simply put that in the description of the cache and make it clear that, if the finder wishes, they may log a seperate 'find' for each stage.

I am setting out a 4 stage multi-tomorrow (I hope if it does't rain on me) -

In my past mulit's I have only put waypoints in the stages to get to the next stage -

For this one each stage has a log book.  So how do I do this so that  the finders can log 4 caches.  I really don't want to create 4 separate cache pages -

I'm thinking one cache page and one log for each section ( A B C D),

each stage has a number in it that must be part of the log on-line.

Compu: Check out the Tour de Foundulac series. It sounds like what you are talking about. This series has been wildly popular (and much talked about) here.

TdF #1

TdF #2.1

TdF #3

TdF #4

TdF #5

TdF #6

TdF #7

TdF #8

TdF Finale

The nice thing about this series is that each leg, with the exception of the finale, can be done in any order. The challenge/difficulty level for each part can be set appropriately also.

I'd like to see more multis done this way.

Editted to add:

Other benefits of making separate caches for each step include having the coords downloadable and avoiding the whole "multiple logs for a single cache" controversy.

Edited by NoLemon

I've done exactly what RichardMoore described, and I've seen that a number of times. The three stages would be the individual caches, posted separately, and the fourth would be a puzzle cache requiring you to find the coordinates in each of the other three caches. Not an uncommon practice, and you'd be certain to get more visits rather than listing it as a multi (when I'm in an area for a short period of time, I normally don't do multi's because I don't want to wind up driving all over an unfamiliar town).

This one lists the correct coords for #1. The rest of them are listed as mystery caches with the coords being contained within the previous cache. You do have to do these in order.

Great Trinity Forest Ridge 1

Great Trinity Forest Ridge 2

Great Trinity Forest Ridge 3

Great Trinity Forest Ridge Bonus

I know you said you didn't want to list 4 pages, but I don't see a way around it.

CompuCash,

In our area there is the Solar System series TeamJiffy mentioned. Also look at the three series by Geowomyn_SF_CA (Ardenwood Scrabble, Inca Gold, and Indian Mini-Montage) in Fremont. Each of these consist of a series of 5 caches that can be logged independently. They contain info that is needed to find a sixth cache.

Edited by Wacka