Discussion Regarding New Cache Size

Firehouse16

There's starting to be quite the little controversy about the new cache size, small.

I take it as anything smaller than a 35mm cannister is a micro. Small would be anything slightly bigger than a 35mm cannister up to 4"to 6" Tupperware?

So in the small category I'm placing Altoids tins since they can hold more objects than a 35mm cannister, as well as decon containers and any small Tupperware containers.

Feedback?

The only thing I disagree with is the Altoid container. I would still class that as a micro.

I think the intention of the new "small" caches was to be able to catagorise/identify a smaller Tupperware/Rubbermaid container. Something more the size of a sandwich container or there-about.

I could be wrong, but that is how I took it in its meaning.

Small would be bigger than a micro, smaller than an ammo can, could hold a logbook, a travel bug, maybe one or two other small items. If it could hold 1 or 2 hardback books it's a regular, if it could hold a paperback but not much more it's a small, if it holds a logsheet and small pencil or less it's a micro.

Well on the listing page they make the reference to the micro being 35mm cannister in size. The regular Altoids container is 3x the size of a 35mm cannister, 3X. That's why I say small not micro. I mean is it really micro? No, but the breath strips one defintely is!

But the Altoids tin can still only hold a log book, and maybe a really stubby pencil. Perhaps a few really small trinkets, like pins. But realistically, it's pretty much a log book only, and that puts it in the micro category, for my money.

See once again no matter what gc.com does it's controversial and not clear cut!

Just use your common sense and don't make a drama out of it :D. You could have been having the very same discussion about Regular V Large, but people have generally come to accept what the difference is with those, so it'll happen with the Small V Micro too.

EDIT: and another thing.... no-one has defined how big the "log book" is that just fits in the small containers :D. I've seen home made log books the size of a small matchbox, and up to an A5 diary size. Just use your loaf :D:D

Edited by Stuey
Well on the listing page they make the reference to the micro being 35mm cannister in size. The regular Altoids container is 3x the size of a 35mm cannister, 3X. That's why I say small not micro. I mean is it really micro? No, but the breath strips one defintely is!

But the Altoids tin can still only hold a log book, and maybe a really stubby pencil. Perhaps a few really small trinkets, like pins. But realistically, it's pretty much a log book only, and that puts it in the micro category, for my money.

I'm going to assume that my 4 1/2 cup (or 4 oz.) Rubbermaid containers I've got out are smallish smalls (as opposed to largish micros), my 40 oz Skippy peanut butter jar is a largish small (as opposed to a smallish regular), and my 1.7 qt. Rubbermaids are smallish regulars, and my one 2.3 qt Rubbermaid is clearly a regular. At least one thing is clear.

See once again no matter what gc.com does it's controversial and not clear cut!

Please list for me a few things in life that are "clear-cut". I'll bet, depending on level of defintion, they can be argued about.

We all die. Well define for me the exact moment that defines death from life.

We are all alive. Define what life is exactly.

I have common sense. Really?

This rock exists. matter if defined small enough may be no more than an energy warp of space-time.

Yes, anything can be argued about. So why is this (small vs. micro) the hill you've chosen to die on. Seems kinda silly. Choose a size that seems right to you.

I think that, as with other sizes, terrain ratings, etc., you will find that local ratings will be somewhat consistent, but if you go to a new area, they will have their own "rules" as to what is what. Basically, the local cachers end up determining what should be what by leaving comments such as "this seemed too small for a 'small' size, I would have called this a micro."

As for me personally, I think a decon container is the de-facto standard for the small size. Also the sandwich sized tupperware containers would fit nicely in this category. A 4"x4"x4" tupperware is probably too big for the 'small' size, and an altoid's tin is probably too small.

--Marky

My consideration of this resulted in:

• Micro = logbook only (possibly 2-dimensional tiny tradables); hard to find in woods
  • Small = trading items have to be small (fit in pocket); challenging to find in woods
  • Regular = 30-cal ammo can; easy to find in woods
  • Large = 5 gallon; finds you in woods
  • Extra Large = 50 gallon drum; don't want it to find you

In my case, I have some round tupperware that's just inconvenient for items--I changed 'em to Small.

Enjoy,

Randy

My rule of thumb:

If my thumb fits into it (or won't), it's micro

If my hand or fist fits into it, it's small

If my foot fits into it, it's regular

If toddler fits into it, it's large

If I fit into it, it's extra large

Edit: As Bill Murray said to Segorney Weaver, "Actually, it's more like a guideline."

Edited by Sputnik 57