Just A Couple Questions

chiqui74

Hi.

I'm brand new here, this is my first post. Anyway, I'm looking into buying a GPS unit and I have a few questions. I've decided on the Magellan Meridian Color...

1. Is it safe to assume that Garmin software wont work in Magellan units?

2. I know you can find where you are through the GPS unit, now, can others find YOU? For example, in case you go hiking and go missing, is it possible for the rescue teams or whoever to pin point YOUR location provided you have your unit on?

3. The Median Color is WAAS enabled but I'm not sure about the European equivalent anyone know? I'm an american living in Italy and I'm getting the American version, but it would be nice to have the European equivalent of WAAS as well.

Thanks all I can think of for now. Anything else you wanna add? Thanks in advance for your help.

June

Edit: One more question, I'm pretty sure coordinates don't include altitude so, how do you figure out the altitude when given a set of coordinates?

Edited by chiqui74

1. Yep. Maps on GPSr's use proprietary formats; you'll need one of Magellan's MapSend products for a Meridian.

2. These are GPS receivers, not transmitters, so no. There *are* such devices sold out there, but the Meridian is typical among GPSr's in that it will only receive signals.

3. I'm pretty sure the Meridian picks up EGNOS, the European equivalent when you're over there.

Take a look at the FAQs in my signature line for a lot of good start-up information.

2. I know you can find where you are through the GPS unit, now, can others find YOU? For example, in case you go hiking and go missing, is it possible for the rescue teams or whoever to pin point YOUR location provided you have your unit on?

Edit: One more question, I'm pretty sure coordinates don't include altitude so, how do you figure out the altitude when given a set of coordinates?

in regards to #2, what you're probably thinking about is a GPS beacon. They are still very pricey, are typically advertised for marine/coastal use and weigh a little over 2 lbs. Backcountry.com has one such personal beacon with a GPS Interface for a mere $700.

In reagards to your elevation question: Elevation is computed according to the time it took for the signal to be received by the GPSr. The error rate on this is purported to be about 2.5 times that of your EPE (Estimated Position Error). This also usually works in conjunction with mapping GPS receivers that can handle topo maps. I don't know for sure if the same will be true for non-mapping or basic mapping units.

Edited to add this link to Equipped.org whom field tested the beacons in question using a basic Garmin Etrex as the GPS interface.

Edited by TotemLake
So, the National Geographic software wont work either?

No; you can *not* send NG Topo maps to the Meridian. It needs to receive maps in a format that it can understand.

NG Topo, like many other "third party" mapping software programs *will* let you exchange waypoints, tracks, and [less frequently] routes. When they mention GPS compatibility, it is this (and the ability for the GPS to transmit location to a laptop) that they are usually referring to.

Just to add... the Delorme and National Geographic software are excellent computer programs. Your GPS (as long as it can be fitted witha data cable) can communicate with this software using a computer. For instance, you can map a trail as a Track File, export it to the computer, and overlay it on the Delorme or N.G. topo maps.

However, you can't tranfer third-party topo maps to your GPS. If you buy a Garmin, you must use the Garmin software. If you have a Magellan, you must buy the Magellan software. The Garmin and Magellan topo lines are rather crude compared to acutal topo maps. So it's not a bad thing to use both the propietary software for using on the GPS, and a third-party program for using on the computer.

Best Wishes,

Bob